Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To curse or not to curse...is there really a question?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Is cursing alowed in your house?

Options:

yes, but only by parents

yes but only if something really bad happened and then only by parents

no never!

i try really hard not to let my children ever hear those words but hey Sh!T happens

other...explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

ok so i want to know where mothers stand on cursing. Do you curse? does your SO curse? will you tolorate your children cursing? at what age will you stop punishing them for cursing?

When i was a child we got spankings or time outs if we said words like "shut up" or "butt". My mom said that they are vugar. ok i get that but really? by the time i got to 5th grade everyone thought i was an idiot bc no one is that sheltered. but i was. never ever heard a curse word until then or anything harsher than "shush"!  my hubs on the other had grew up with cursing parents, they let him say whatever words he liked as long as it wasn't to them (he of course got in trouble if he told his parents to F off or what ever). He has a little 5 year old cousin that curses like a sailor and his fam thinks its cute? is it just my up bringing or is there really something wrong with that? bc when i hear him i am horrified!

I love everyday with my Son, and I miss him every minute we're apart!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I try not to. Occasionally it slips out. Same with SO, expecially if he's playing his video games & he's in the zone. If our 2 year old cusses I just tell him those are dirty words & I shouldnt have said them either.

Richys_Girl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM

My mom and dad, said I could say the word wehn I knew what it meant.

Like I said "Damn", my dad asked me what it meant, I said "beavers live there." Nope couldn't use the words.

But I don't ever remember getting in deep trouble for things like butt or shut up. 

My grandma hit me in the mouth for saying "beavis and butthead" though, lol.

Both of us cuss in this house, but little ears are starting to pick it up, so I say things like bull honkey, or bullony, or holy granola bars now lol. 

amayabrianna
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM

My DDs know what bad words are. And on the rare occasion I do use them they tell me no, mommy don't say that it's a bad word.

allsolittle
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I admit it, I have a terribly nasty mouth. I grew up with a construction worker dad who still cusses like a sailor. I wasn't "allowed" to say those words until I was about 15 or 16. My husband is also in construction and has a worse mouth than me. My oldest has never said a nasty word, but my middle daughter does sometimes, then she says "nasssy word."  I try to keep it under control, I just think there are bigger issues to worry about than cuss words...

BigBoMom

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I try not to. Occasionally it slips out. Same with SO, expecially if he's playing his video games & he's in the zone. If our 2 year old cusses I just tell him those are dirty words & I shouldnt have said them either.

OMG thank you i really thought i was just my DH that did that! he dosen't even realize he's talking out loud when he plays his games, and none of the words he says are over 4 letters....lol thats they trouble im having. i can watch what i say close enough that it shouldn't be a problem but my hubs gets so worked up and angry at his video games that there is no controlling it. really. we've tried. and he gets so violent about his games that i hope that doesn't become an issue with him scaring our son. its not yet but you never know i guess.

oboe_chik

My DH is constantly telling me to watch my language lol. It just slips out. I try to say fudge instead of fuck and shoot instead of shit but hey it happens. If my DD says a bad word I just look at her and you can see it in her eyes that she knows shes in trouble because she knows better.

Mamaz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM

i have a potty mouth. my kids wont be "allowed" to swear until they are older. but i swear, they hear me, they swear sometimes. usually my daughter just yells at me for swearing.w hich is funny

Photobucket

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination

taramac
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I swear and so does my husband.  For a while my three year old son would repeat the swear words he heard until I told him that they were bad words.  Now, if I swear in front of him, he will tell me, "mommy, watch your language" and "say sorry".  I'm trying to cut down on the swear words but they do slip out sometimes (especially when I'm watching a football game). 

mommasbabies77
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM
In my home, I expect my children to speak with respect and to be spoken to with such. I try never to use vulgar words directed toward them including shut up, etc. That being said, they have heard me say curse words and will likely hear it again. If they repeat it, I simply say that we shouldn't use words like that and that mommy shouldn't either. I do not punish my kids for things I do myself because I sincerely feel that its pointless. I say this very lightly because there are obviously some things that is appropriate for adults and not children but cursing is not one of them

BigBoMom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Quoting allsolittle:

I admit it, I have a terribly nasty mouth. I grew up with a construction worker dad who still cusses like a sailor. I wasn't "allowed" to say those words until I was about 15 or 16. My husband is also in construction and has a worse mouth than me. My oldest has never said a nasty word, but my middle daughter does sometimes, then she says "nasssy word."  I try to keep it under control, I just think there are bigger issues to worry about than cuss words...

i agree but we live in a small town and ppl will say horrible things to kids who are "uncooth". i just don't want that to happen to him. but your right there are bigger issues out there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)