Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ladies i need HONEST opinions.

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM
  • 47 Replies

OK dh and I have come to a crossroad in birthcontrol. I have been on depo since my son was born in january. I skipped my last shot in november, because i was just horrible on it. No sex drive, nothing. So I don't want it anymore. Not to mention when i wanted sex, i couldnt because, well, another problem there... but whatever.

So we've gone through the various types of birth control. The pill. (not responsible enough to take it at the same time every day AND when i was on it before it made me so sick) Nuva Ring. I would have such an issue with remembering to pull it out and put it in. Once again, irresponsible. Mirena (scared of weight gain lol) Paragard (looked it up, and from what I've read for OTHER ladies who have had it, its horrible and long bleeding and what not) Condoms (he doesnt want to since we're married) Diaphragm. (um. No lol)

so we're stuck.... i could get my shot for depo and risk no sex life.... which could ALSO have been caused by breastfeeding. I stopped breastfeeding the beginning of october.

But we're talking vasectomy. We DEFINITELY are not having kids in the next 3 years. No way, no how. and its reversible. buttttt idk, it just seems.....idk ridiculous to have a vasectomy for that... BUT on the other hand, idk if i even WANT another child. I mean, with me im thinking its more of the loving them as a newborn. my son is 11 months old in 7 days, and all the time i think about how much i miss him being my itty bitty baby. i think that is the only reason i want another baby. to have a newborn. and if i keep having kids for that reason, i'll end up like the duggars!

and being able to AFFORD another child is super high on my priorities. I dont want to have to rely on PA because i was irresponsible and needed another baby even though i couldnt afford it. We live solely on military pay. And dh is NOT high ranking =] and until i get into and graduate nursing school, we're stuck at that.

so opinions or advice, or anything would be helpful

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsPsychotic
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Why not have your tubes tied? That's reversable too.

I have a friend who uses NuvaRing and LOVES it. She was horrible about remembering to take the pill and the DepoShot really screwed with her body. She just sets a reminder on her cell phone for the date that she needs to take the ring out and put a new one in. She is never without her cell phone. So it's reliable. She's going on 4 months of NuvaRing and has had no issues.

luckypenny720
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM

ok here is my opinion... and well today it is not the popular :)

I am 37 and about 20 yrs ago they had BC called Norplant.  It is capsules that are inserted into your arm that releases BC which you never have to worry about taking responsibly.  This lasts 5 yrs.

The side effects were much the same as with any other BC

-increased likeliness of headaches

- weight gain

-heavier flow during periods

hey it worked for me! you may want to talk to your Dr. about the other options

USMCBride08

um. no, im not going to do that

Quoting MsPsychotic:

Why not have your tubes tied? That's reversable too.

I have a friend who uses NuvaRing and LOVES it. She was horrible about remembering to take the pill and the DepoShot really screwed with her body. She just sets a reminder on her cell phone for the date that she needs to take the ring out and put a new one in. She is never without her cell phone. So it's reliable. She's going on 4 months of NuvaRing and has had no issues.

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

JenB1983

I used NuvaRing, and I adored it.  It does come with stickers for your calendar to remind you when you need to take it out and put a new one in.  LOL  I needed those damn stickers.  And I set reminders on my phone. :-D

As for the vasectomy.....think long and HARD about it.  DH and I decided that he would get it done when our youngest was born.  It's been almost 3 years now and we still regret it.  However; the military will not pay for reversals(around $10,000); and even if you get it done, the odds aren't they great for getting prego after it.

kylismomma
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Haha ug...i feel your pain! I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with our second. We will now have a boy and a girl and are thrilled. We do not and cannot afford another for a LONG time. I got pregnant on birth control this time, so i don't really trust it. My husband agreed to get a vasectamy and we both agreed that we are happy with two kids.

But then last night we were laying in bed and he was coming up with baby names for our future children! So who knows...i think maybe he's begining to change his mind. However i am terrified. We just renewed an 18 month lease and it is just big enough for 2 kids but no way big enough for 3! I am looking for something that is semi-permanent...but i had an IUD fall out and I got pregnant on pills. I just don't know what to do!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
pregnancy
jennylynne2003

An easy way to remember the pill is to take it at dinner time. And talk to your doctor about the doses because if its to high it will make you sick. The pill is the best way to go imo, or the diaphram its easy just put it in or have him do it before you have sex and pull it out afterwards.

JDon27

I would say no to him getting a vasectomy, they say it is reversible but the percentage isn't very high for it actually working. Just throwing that out there.

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM

i take the pills, but i never take them at a certain time. lol its always like one day around 5, then the next around 10, then the next day i'll totally forget so i'll take it the following morning or afternoon, etc, blah, blah, blah.

i've HEARD that it has to be taken every day at a certain time, but i dont know how much i believe that. its not like the pill is only in your body for 24 hours exactly, kwim? but then again, i have PCOS which is like a birth control in itself, in a way. cysts on ovaries that make it somewhat hard to get pregnant (thats what my doc said)

SarahMcG1981
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I didn't gain any weight on Mirena.... The hormones aren't going through your system which is good and thats what causes the weight gain... There's another IUD that's made of copper that my friend has and it's good for 10 years (I don't know what it's called) but it has worked for her for the last 7 years!  Also with the depo shot, studies have shown that if you're on it for 5 consecutive years or longer there's a huge increase in your risk for osteoporosis....

jennylynne2003
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:38 PM

my hb and i did the pull out method for a while and he wore tity whities and it worked fine then i got on the pill and hello 3rd kid lol.but the pill and i have issues i have had 3 kids on the pill , which i took religiously.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)