Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think having a mental illness should qualify you for Disability

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM
  • 423 Replies

Do you think having a mental illness should qualify you for Disability?  Or do you think its an excuse to collect disability and not work?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:34 PM

If they truly cannot function in normal society, yes.  It should definitely be reviewed on a case by case basis though.  If someone can work, they need to be working.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I think its not our right to say shit. Most people don't know how hard it is to get it for a mental illness or how sever it has to be to get it or what its like to live with one. So unless you have one or know someone close who does i think people should stay out of it.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:35 PM

SOME mental illnesses are debilitating but some of it I think is bullshit. Plus sometimes people are just not willing to take their Meds and get better.

WildKat
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:35 PM

It depends.  If someone is bad enough to be institutionalized then yes...  if not, then probably not. 

Peace,

Kat

Sirenabella
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM

IMO it depends on the mental illness and the individual. This is something that should be decided on a case by case basis. Some ppl use it as an excuse and others could really use disability income.  

sarah969

My mom has a mental disability and I think if she had to work she would kill some one she can not stand to be around people that is one of many things that are wrong with her.she can even stand to around her parents or her kids and grandkids my dad raised us.

kk_bella

Mental illness can be debilitating.

I have always worked, since I was 15. I went to school full time and worked full time, some times two or three jobs at a time. After I had my first, my depression was so bad that my medical team told me I had to choose between work and school. For many reasons, I chose school.

I haven't been on PA until my husband got unemployment except the medicaid and WIC I got while I was pregnant with my first. It took almost a year until I was recuperated enough to go back to school and take more than one class at a time. My oldest is now three and I still have a hard time. Only within the last 8 months have I really started getting better.

I think that there are a lot of people out there that will use it as an excuse but I also think that it is a legit illness that really does debilitate people.

RissaBusch

It's not something that can be covered by a blanket law.  Mental illness is such a broad spectrum.  Even with depression, it can get to the point where a person can not function.

I watched a documentary called Back From Madness in my psych class.  There's no question that the people in it could not function in a normal job or just life in general. 

Arlyah

It qualifies my sister, although in her case I don't think it should. She's been on it for over 3 years now, milking it and wasting that money.

jjessers
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM

YES!!

There are mental illnesses that are very hindering to a persons everyday life. Making a job a difficult thing to handle .

Unfortunatley ..there will always be people who will abuse the system...just like PA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)