Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My letter to the management company- please read and cratique... NO BASHING- What can I do to make it better and stern!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:46 PM
  • 18 Replies

November 30, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a resident of the Stoneridge Apartment complex, Unit G 104. From the outside the property looks fabulous. It’s an adorable complex which caught my attention when I was looking for a place to live. However, since July 2009, which is when I first moved in, I have had nothing but problems with my home. There are eight concerns I want to address in this letter.

1) CARPET – The carpet looked pristine when I did my walk through inspection. However, within 3 weeks of moving in, black marks and various stains started appearing starting from the front entrance and going toward the living room. I do not have pets, and I am accustomed to taking off my shoes at the door. I try to advise my guests to do the same when they visit me. It seems that the carpets were not thoroughly cleaned.

2) LAUNDRY - The first time I did a load of laundry in Unit G 104 a huge puddle of water appeared under the washer itself and spread all over the entire laundry room floor. At that point, I refrained from doing any more laundry and called the front office to report the problem. They said they would have someone come over and check it out. No one showed up that day. The next day I called the office again mentioning that I had already called about this problem the day before. The lady said she would contact someone to come over and check it out. Again, no one showed up. I waited another entire day without doing laundry. Finally, I cleaned up the water under the washer to the best of my ability and continued with my laundry. I called 3 more times and no one showed up. This problem has not been resolved yet. To do my laundry, I leave a towel under the bottom part of the washer to block the leak.

3) MICROWAVE – A month after I moved in, the microwave stopped working properly. This problem has yet to be resolved although I have called numerous times to report the problem. Currently I can use only the 30 second button on my microwave. None of the other buttons work. Sometimes the microwave completely shorts out, and I have to climb up and unplug the microwave and plug it back in so it will work.

4) KITCHEN SINK – Four times I have called because the kitchen sink is backed up. When I run the disposal, the standing water in the sink drains. However, when I turn off the disposal and the water, the water starts to build up again on both sides of the sink. Two times I called the after hour emergency maintenance line, and James came to check the sink. After the second time, James went next door to see if the next unit was having similar problems. That unit was having problems as well, and James asked me not to run the water in the kitchen. He said that he would call a plumber the first thing in the morning. This was the first problem that was successfully resolved in my apartment. However, the sink still drains very slowly.

5) DOOR LOCK – From the time I moved in, my front door has not latched properly. I have called several times, and no one has come to fix it. I have just learned to live with it. However, at times, it has taken me 10 minutes to get into my apartment since you have to maneuver the key a certain way to get the door to open.

6) WATER TEMPERATURE – In the master bathroom, there is no medium water temperature. The water is either freezing cold or scaulding hot. It is incredibly difficult to take a shower under these conditions.

7) POWER SOCKETS – Several power sockets in my apartment do not work properly. As I have gone to plug various things into the wall, the wall receptacle will just fall out or fail to supply any power whatsoever. Since this is a serious problem, I have contemplated having the fire department come and inspect this.

8) HEATER – Since the winter season has approached, I have started to use the heater more frequently. One night it was chilly in here, so I turned the heater on. After having it on for about an hour, I noticed that the heater was blowing cold air. I called the after hour maintenance emergency line. James came and said he thought the pump was clogged. I couldn’t really understand him as his English isn’t that great. After 30 minutes, he returned and asked me to try the heater again. It worked at that time, but last night, November 30th, the heater started blowing cold air again.

9) PARKING SPOT – My assigned parking spot is outside another building in another part of the complex. This is incredibly inconvenient especially when I have to carry groceries or other things into my apartment. I have to make several long trips back and forth to the car. I find it easier to park in the visitor parking than my own parking space. I am not a visitor; I am a resident, and I shouldn’t have to use visitor parking to unload my groceries or other goods.

10) BUGS – There have been little black flying bugs since I have lived here. I do not know what they are, but they are rather annoying. If they are fleas, then I assume the previous resident had pets, and the apartment was not properly cleaned before I moved in.

11) RENT PAYMENT – For the month of October I turned in a cashier’s check for $1635 --- $2 less than is due. I made a mistake for which I am very sorry. However, I was not notified for almost a month that the check was made out for the wrong amount. When the office called and told me I hadn’t paid October’s rent, I asked them what they did with the cashier’s check. Kelly, the front office manager, said she sent it back in the mail. I had not received a penalty notice or an eviction notice on my door. Instead I received a phone call saying that not only was October’s rent due, but also November’s rent plus legal fees. I find this absolutely absurd. If someone had called, I would have immediately corrected the mistake by bringing cash to the office. In the end, I owed $3900 for October’s and November’s rent plus legal fees. I really felt that someone was taking advantage of this situation. Two weeks after this was resolved, I got a notice on my door stating that I owed another $65, but the charge was not explained. I called the office for clarification and was told there was an extra $65 in fees after all the confusion with the prior payments. I told the person on the phone that I didn’t have another $65 after paying $3900 for the previous 2 months’ rent. I feel that this complex is just trying to nickel and dime me to death. This is very upsetting to me in light of all the problems I have had with my apartment.

12) CONCLUSION - I have taken time off work for repairmen to come and fix various things in my unit as many of the things I have alluded to previously in this letter have not been looked at or taken care of. The problems in my apartment that have been addressed by the staff have yet to be satisfactorily resolved. I pay way too much money for this apartment to have to tolerate these problems. I am less than pleased with this apartment and the management here, and I want out as soon as possible. I have already notified OSHA and will also notify my lawyer if the situation is not resolved to my satisfaction giving some consideration to the inconvenience I have experienced.

Sorry lady this is orriginally how i wrote it with stucture it just did something funky when i pasted it in here

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arlyah
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM

There's no structure. It's hard to read when it's a wall of text.

mommyto2girls00
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM

You should have paragraphs. It's really hard to read like that.

Swtmama62205
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Can you break it up into paragraphs its really hard to read when its not

ROXYBOOMBOOM
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:49 PM

It is poorly written and hard to follow.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Yeah, each complaint needs its own paragraph.

Quoting Arlyah:

There's no structure. It's hard to read when it's a wall of text.

Humans kill an estimated 100 million sharks each year. Sign this petition to establish a global ban on shark finning. CLICK HERE

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM

You need to run a spell check.

bakebiscotti
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Good job!  I would suggest however, that you divide it into paragraphs and reiterate the time frames when you describe each incident,

Need a Snow Day?

tennisfanactic
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:53 PM

In your letter, state you are giving them 30 days to fix everything. After 30 days you have a legal right to move ahead if they have not complied. This is law in California, I am not sure what state you are in, but check your tenants rights....good luck!!

SnoBuny
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Did you only call to have these issues resolved or did you put them in writing with documentation that they recieved them?
It is so important to write your complaints as they happen and have them delivered certified mail so that you have proof! If not than they can always say that you never called!
What does the lease say regarding these types of issues? I would also check into the landlord/tenant act for your state!
I dont know if it is jsut the way it loaded here but it would be MUCH easier to read if it were in paragraphs!

eema.gray
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM

English major here.  :-)  It's a good letter, clear, concise, and straightforward.  A little bit of copy editing will make it easier to read and more professional looking (professional gets more attention than sloppy).

Make the heading ("to whom it may concern") a separate line of text.  Double space and introduce the letter.  You might want to include your name in the letter you actually send so it's easier for the reader to look up your file.  When you send this, put your full name and address at the very top of the page, then then full mailing address of the management company, then the heading.  That's the format business people expect to see and it looks like you're really "with it."  They'll respect you and your much justified concerns more.

I didn't spot any obvious spelling or grammar errors but run it through a grammar/spelling check just to be absolutely certain.

Edit the introductory paragraph to state eleven concerns, not eight.  You don't need to number the concluding paragraph or give it a heading ("CONCLUSION").

Each numbered item should be a separate paragraph, with the introductory information and conclusion also blocked as separate paragraphs.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)