Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about my 13 month old ??

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

my SIL suggested that i start getting him into good habits by brushing his few teeth at night.

my question is, isn't he still too young ? my neice is 22 months and they've been brushing her teeth since she was as young as my son and i always thought that was too little. when did you ladies start brushing your kiddos teeth ?

i'm alive but i'm barely breathing. just prayed to a God i don't even believe in. what can i say ? i'm falling to pieces<3

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
airforewifenmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM

My dd is 13 mo. I would like to know also......I dont brush her teeth yet. She would bite me and the brush...............and it wouldnt work. 

MixedCooke
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:22 AM

As soon as she had teeth, I started using the finger brush and then when she started biting my finger, I moved to a regular toddler toothbrush and child-safe to swallow toothpaste.

kiralyn
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:28 AM

we started brushing as soon as she got teeth and we brushed her gums as well. no tooth paste, just those little things you slip on your finger. it is good to start early becaue they get used to it, so it wont be a fight when they are older and HAVE to do it.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:59 AM

i started wiping her gums down after eating at night from about 3 months old on.  Now she is 3 1/2 and doesnt fight getting teeth brushed.  It is also recommended you take your child to a dentist as soon as they get their first tooth or turn a year old. We took dd when she was 2 1/2 though.  At 13 mo old it can just be a very small toothbrush or finger brush and water, does not have to have fluoride toothpaste used.

lovemymarine306
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:08 AM

i've been regularly brushing her teeth since she was about 10 months old.  i did it every once in a while before that.  now at two, she can brush her own teeth...not well though..lol

sallymoon
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:10 AM

My dentist told me to start brushing my son's teeth as soon as they started coming in.  I was told to try to do it twice a day, once with the safe-to-swallow toothpaste and once with just water.  He doesn't get his teeth brushed as much as he should, but my son absolutely loves have his teeth brushed.

Beatlemama
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Ditto

Quoting MixedCooke:

As soon as she had teeth, I started using the finger brush and then when she started biting my finger, I moved to a regular toddler toothbrush and child-safe to swallow toothpaste.

Honeybun09
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM

I started brushing my DD's teeth when she was 4 months, almost 5 months old with infant tooth brush and tooth paste. That's when she got her first teeth. It's suggested that you start brushing them or at least cleaning them with a wash cloth when they get their first tooth, and to see a pediatric dentist when they are 12 months.

ColtonKeatonMom
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM

13 months old isn't too young to brush their teeth. I had a soft finger tip brush and have brushed mine's gums since they were born. Just make sure the tooth paste says "Baby" or "Safe to swallow" somewhere on the tube. If he/she don't have many teeth, buy the finger tip brush at first, then graduate to a tooth brush. 

rocknrollgirl70
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:17 AM

i started when my dd got her first tooth and shes 21 months now and i brush twice a day.. and its never too early to start..  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)