Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

k12.com or other homeschool

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughters have been accepted to k12 virtual academy. Does anyone else use this? Or what do you do for homeschooling your kids? Here is a link about k12 virtual academy it is a video from the 700 club I think. What do you think of homeschooling? 

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2009/November/Online-Charter-Schools-Proving-Popular-/

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Just_Me_1326
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:30 PM

we used this for our girls for like 2 weeks.  if you don't start from kinder, your child might be a bit lost.

i was very unhappy with the science course!! so many holes it wasn't funny.  i would call the teachers with questions and they wouldn't know.. so before our girls fell behind, we put them back in public school.  we let them decide for themselves and they are so much happier.

homeschooling is fine imo, but i was just very mislead about the program. i was told that most of it would be online and they would have books and workbooks to work with too.. most of it is book work and very little is on line.

which i wouldn't have minded but i was lied to.. ya know

MomX04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM

My daughter didn't care for it too much, she couldn't make heads or tails out of it.  I ended up buying textbooks because it was just so much easier to follow and know where she was.

I get the complete curriculums from Homeschool Supercenter.  Just to add Homeschool Supercenter does have complete Christian based curriculums available if you're interested.

julieobug
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I have never heard of it and I was home schooled from 6th on up and we just used the life pacs...they were awesome and the books aren't so big that it looks like you'll never get through it.  They send you 10 little books with test at intervals in the book....I loved it. So did all my siblings. I am the oldest of 11.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

babies

baby

Just_Me_1326
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM

yeah my girls either. they started off in weird places.. when i asked they told me well the courses start in kinder and if you come in where they did (3rd, 4th) they won't know every thing but we can look it up on our own.. are you kidding me!!

Quoting MomX04:

My daughter didn't care for it too much, she couldn't make heads or tails out of it.  I ended up buying textbooks because it was just so much easier to follow and know where she was.

I get the complete curriculums from Homeschool Supercenter.  Just to add Homeschool Supercenter does have complete Christian based curriculums available if you're interested.

MomX04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I know I think what saved me is my kids are human bookworms.  My kids will voluntarily check out encyclopedias from the library just so they can read and study them.  Science, history and English have never been a problem for us, math on the other hand, nobody likes it.

Quoting Just_Me_1326:

yeah my girls either. they started off in weird places.. when i asked they told me well the courses start in kinder and if you come in where they did (3rd, 4th) they won't know every thing but we can look it up on our own.. are you kidding me!!

Quoting MomX04:

Just_Me_1326
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM

it just fustrated me beyond belief. i mean they wanted them to make some project but didn't have instructions for it. just one small pic and no info on it. there was vital info missing and they wanted them to just know it. they would test them on stuff, then after the test, teach them what was on it.. how does that make sense

Quoting MomX04:

I know I think what saved me is my kids are human bookworms.  My kids will voluntarily check out encyclopedias from the library just so they can read and study them.  Science, history and English have never been a problem for us, math on the other hand, nobody likes it.

Quoting Just_Me_1326:

Quoting MomX04:

MomX04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

It doesn't make sense.  I actually got a child in an online state public school right now that I will be pulling him out after this year because we are going through darn near the same thing.  I would rather the one on one than the online stuff the more that I am trying it.  I was hoping with my son that it would be different since it is a public school but it isn't.

Quoting Just_Me_1326:

it just fustrated me beyond belief. i mean they wanted them to make some project but didn't have instructions for it. just one small pic and no info on it. there was vital info missing and they wanted them to just know it. they would test them on stuff, then after the test, teach them what was on it.. how does that make sense

Quoting MomX04:

Quoting Just_Me_1326:

Quoting MomX04:

magenta2325
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM

I know a few people who have used k12 and they loved it and did not start at kindergarten. One in 6th grade and one in 8th. I am hoping for good results. I will be glad mine just get out of all the crazy drama thats in Jr High these days. I think my daughter is still going to cheer with her regular school.

magenta2325
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts?

HContos
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I LOVE it!  Everyone I know here in Wyoming loves it as well.  Our state pays for it, which is very nice.  We have been on numorous field trips already.  I talk to his teacher once a week and we turn in quartely work and see her one time for a quartely Dibels testing.  We meet at our local library. 

I have another son who will be joining it when he turns 5 in March.  He is SO excited!!! He has an IEP and I'm told that K12 molds your curriculum around an IEP. 

I have a 3 year old that will join in 2 years.  They sent us one computer and will send another after the 3rd child joins.   (One computer for every 2 children in the household.)

I truly believe that homeschooling over all is NOT for everyone.  I think that if a parent has a difficult time with staying at home in general, that they should not attempt homeschooling. 

The K12 program is very structured and I think that a lot of parents become overwhelmed with how much there is offered.  One thing I learned right away was that I didn't need to do everything that they were suggesting in a day.  With my current 6 year old, he is very advanced in Math and Phonics, so the kindergarten work was quite boring for him.  I discovered that we could skip each Units lessons and go straight to the Unit Assesments!  It went much faster and we are now being sent 1st grade level in those subjects.  I'm very pleased. 

I LOVE the Science, Art, Music, History and Language Arts!!!!! I can't tell you just how much fun we are having!!!!!!  It's really helped me become more structured as well.  I actually get up earlier most days (not much of a morning person) and I enjoy it.  Their advice to plan the day by beginning it with eating and getting dressed was very helpful.  Even though we may not be going anywhere that day, it's helped all of us be less lazy, by getting dressed first thing in the morning. 

I'm sad that Wyoming doesn't start a student in a foreign language or in typing until 2nd grade.  But I just do it on the side.  I'm a Christian and I love the freedom of talking about God in all that he learns.  LOVE IT. 

I have yet to see how homeschooling more then one will be like.  I think there will be bumps in the road at first, and I'm almost certain we will adjust fairly well.

I also found out that with our public school district (not all schools do this), that my children are open to joining their after school activities.  This won't start until 5th grade.  But how cool is that?

Hope I answered some questions.  Ask me any.

~Heather

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)