Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time for My little Opinion.

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'll start off by saying, I no longer open the posts that are titled "How much do you spend on each kid" or "how many gifts do you get each kid". I know someone will say, then don't read those posts if you don't like it....so FYI...I don't.

When I was growing up we never counted or compared presents. Now that I'm older and looking back, there were years we didn't have many gifts at all, but the tree always looked overflowing with presents. Maybe it had to do with the whole "Santa" magic, or just the excitement of it all.

I see so many people stressing about their kids having the same number of gifts and the same dollar amount. It baffles me. Was I just raised differently? The gifts for me were things I asked Santa for and things I liked. The same with my brother. My brother is 5 years older than me, so his interests we in skateboards and video games while mine were My little ponies and Barbies and Barbie clothes. The year my brother got his first computer I got the new skates that I wanted and I couldn't have been happier. Look at the price difference there. That's a big one if you think about it. I still remember thinking that his computer was dumb and he'd be bored of it long before I was done with my skates. lol.

Obviously as I got older I grew out of the Barbies, but we still didn't compare anything. I'm raising my son to be the same way. To appreciate what you get and not be so materialistic that you would feel bad because someone got one more gift than he did. We recieved the same amount of love and attention all year long, perhaps that has something to do with it?? I don't know, Or maybe it has to do with the fact that so many parents now take credit on Christmas morning for all of the gifts their kids are opening, so they want to make sure their kids know that their parents made sure they all got equal everything. For us everything was from Santa. (Except for the things my Aunts would send ahead of time). Even now on Christmas my Mom will sign my gift tags From Santa. My son is only this little once, and someday he will understand that we did everything at Christmas, but right now I enjoy seeing him so anxious for Santa.

I think that's it...just had to get it out of my head. ;)

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time I don't want to spend a bunch on one kid and not the other.  We spend what we can afford, but buy equally.  The older kids want more expensive things, so they may only have 1 or 2 things to open.  The little boys ask for cheaper things, so they will have more to open.  They will all get things they want and all be happy.  But, I couldn't imagine spending $150 on one child and $25 on another.  That would not make me feel good as a parent. 

zianneaaliyah
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I like to set my kids up for disappointment early.  They either appreciate what the get or get nothing at all.  Haven't had any complaints yet.

Q0112
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM

i have only 1 child so I don't have to worry about that. But when she is older and maybe I have another one...I think I'd like to give them the same amount of gifts.  1 child get 3 gifts, the other gets 3 gifts. ANYWAY- i see posts on here about moms complaning b/c they can only give 2 or 3 or 4 gifts to their kids this year. I think my kids will ALWAYS get only 2,3 or 4 gifts. I don't believe in an overload of a million gifts. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow..and she is getting three gifts from me..plus disney on ice. For christmas...she is getting ONE gift from me. I don't see what is wrong with that.

I love my daughter more than anyone on this earth. 2 days till her 4th Birthday. Disney on Ice--HERE WE COME!
***I lost 50 pounds. 40 Pounds to go!***
I love my boyfriend. Six months till our 1st anniversary.

JSWeible
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Im with you on this one. We only have one child and he is only 17 mths old so its not a big deal yet. My problem is with my MIL. We have a seperate Christmas with her she has to get the EXACT same amoutn of gifts for everybody and we all take turns opening. Starting with the youngest. Its INSANE! The problem is that with her its all about quantity and not quality. We end up coming home with tons of junk we dont have room for, just so our son had as many gifts as his cousins. Id rather him have one or two nice things than 20 crappy ones that wont last past new years. Drives me up the wall.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:49 PM

yay, well said, my kids are way ages apart, we spend the same amount of money on both,,, if one gets one pressie and the other gets 20, then that is the way it is!

Sirenabella
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I only have one child so I've never had to worry about it. Not sure how I'd do it if I had another. I think the equality thing varies child to child. I never cared who got what growing up but I know some of my siblings counted and complained if it wasn't equal presents or close to equal cost.  

Paesana82
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, when I was young I never looked at how many presents I got and compare them to each other. It's just not something that would have went through my head....I was just so happy with what I got I didn't care if someone else got more.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Growing up I always had less presents than my siblings.   I have no idea if my presents were more expensive and thats why I got less.  I just remember feeling like crap that they got more than me.  Whcih is pretty much how I felt all year long.  I remember one year all I wanted was a tennis bracelet.  I was 14  my sister was  8.  I talked about wanting this bracelet all the time.  I didnt get one that year  however my lil sister did.   Thats kinda what it was like growing up.

I decided when I had my 2nd child that they would get equal amount.   I usually spend more on my son becasue he is older and the stuff he wants is more expensive.  but they each open up the same amount.   This year my youngest set the amount because I got what was on her list which was 6 things.  I've only bought so far my older two 4 presents each and have already spent more on them.  But the things they want cost more.  

I'm almost anal about showing Equality  on xmas and all year long.

Now my mother spends an Equal amount on each of my children.  She tries to keep the same # of gifts But that doesnt always work out that way.

scootermom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Quoting Sirenabella:

I only have one child so I've never had to worry about it. Not sure how I'd do it if I had another. I think the equality thing varies child to child. I never cared who got what growing up but I know some of my siblings counted and complained if it wasn't equal presents or close to equal cost.  

abbysmommy429
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I was an only child and I was always overwhelmed by what was under the tree and didn't remember what all I got from santa or my mom. I want my DD to have a few things she values and remembers. Luckily, we can't afford a lot and she's only 7 months, so I'm not worried this year! 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)