Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

white elephant gift exchange! anybody ever did this?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

My sil called me today and wanted my opionion on doing a white elephant gift exchange:

I told her i thought it would be a good idea**cause we both agree that it can be really expensive when it comes to buying presents for my hubby's side....cause their is 10 kids, and they are all married except the one, and they have have kids, which adds up to a total of 54 grandkids, and majority of them have kids which adds up to a total of 18 great grand kids...so that is a bunch of money being spent just on my hubby's side.....which the last few years i have been buying something for each family together, which saved me money....some of us just spend a few dollars on each person, but that still adds up....

so my question is have you ever did a white elephant gift exchange and what are your pro and con of it????

**oh i forgot, my fil and mil give out money to each family to buy what they want, so that is a lot of money they are forking out for christmas cause hubby and wife each get 20 a piece and grandkids, and great grandkids get 10 a piece...

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I don't know what that is.  I'm thinking it might be like this game we play where every one draws names and grabs a gift from the pile...then you can steal each others gifts...is that it??? We have a blast doing it, and in this day and age who has the extra money to buy for extended family?

MarchMarie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM

is that a yankee swap with funny presents?

I love yankee swaps so that sounds fun 

i

eyeheartsin
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM

white elephants are a lot of fun, we usually do gag gifts or random things with ours (like As Seen on Tv products, etc). I would suggest since there are so many people to do one for adults and one for children, that way kids aren't picking adult things and vice versa.

ABX
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

we have done that for many years and we love it..we only do it for older kids and adults kids under 15 wee just getm toys or gift ard..you should do it its fun

in loveBruce & Angelina        toddler boyXavier

mommy_10
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Quoting MarchMarie:

is that a yankee swap with funny presents?

I love yankee swaps so that sounds fun 

i

what i understand it is you wrap a present you have at home that you no longer use or want and draw a name and that person goes get a present they want and the next person goes and they have the choice of stealing the present from the previous person or getting a present off the table....

mommy_10
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Quoting ajswenson:

I don't know what that is.  I'm thinking it might be like this game we play where every one draws names and grabs a gift from the pile...then you can steal each others gifts...is that it??? We have a blast doing it, and in this day and age who has the extra money to buy for extended family?

yes, that is what i understand my sil telling me...

snoopy21276
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM

we have started doing it for the adults to save $$ We have a rule of items 5.00 from a dollar store and useful :) Last year i got a bag of 100 straws and a spoon set! LOL We enjoyit

JessiBell
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Super fun! I joined my cousin and her fiance last Christmas, and his family did this, and they let me and my cousin join...It was a lot of fun, and I would start a tradition like that too if I had so many people in the family to buy for.  They actually included a white elephant as one of the gifts, and whoever ended up with it has to re-gift it every year.  And like another poster said, they included gag gifts as well.  Its fun, you guys should def try it if you have that many people to give gifts to =)

I may have had cancer, but it never once had me!

Chrystal_A
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I hosting a white elephant in a little over a wk,which remnds me I need to get busy!

Our white elephant is a girls only.And we are doing a cookie exhange with it.Our theme is funny.I found a penis stress ball,a back masager that is shaped oddly etc just funny things,limit of $10.Then we are doing a pot luck lunch with it.Just a day to enjoy some female company.

In my family we do a gift exhange.The adults draw names and thats who we buy for.Limit of $25.I drew my bro and my hub drew my sil and they are getting shoes and a coat.And then we buy for each kid.The kids in my family are:My 2 lil brothers,my 2 cousins,my 2 boys,and my niece and neffew.Ive saved money by..getting my cousins a game to share,my lil bro a wii game (2 for $20 walmart.com)and then a gift formy niece and one for my neffew.

deltacogirl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I love White Elephant!  Its a great way to cut back on expenses.  For a good understanding of the rules, you should watch The Christmas Party episode of The Office, Season 2.  Its also a great example of what not to do while playing White Elephant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)