Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

traditions

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

my son is 4 years old, and we haven't really started any traditions with him.  and we've been thinking, now he is old enough to remember these times when he is older and has his own children.  do any of you have any tradtions in your family NOT holiday related?  we don't really celebrate alot of holidays.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crysjuls
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

no one has traditions to share?

crysjuls
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

does every post have to be about drama so i can get some replies?

Emmy217
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Sorry I'm not much help....My daughter is almost 2 and the only tradition we really have (just started) deals with Christmas. I just wanted to let you know that I was paying attention to your non-drama related post...I'm just no help! Haha 

crysjuls
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

lol thank you.

Quoting Emmy217:

Sorry I'm not much help....My daughter is almost 2 and the only tradition we really have (just started) deals with Christmas. I just wanted to let you know that I was paying attention to your non-drama related post...I'm just no help! Haha 

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Most of ours are holiday related.  We do try to do date night with our oldest once a month or every other month.  Its date night for me and him or guys night out for him and Daddy. 

Camille Proud Working Mamma to Joseph (4) and Mary (11 months)
crysjuls
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

that's a good tradition.  thanx!

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

Most of ours are holiday related.  We do try to do date night with our oldest once a month or every other month.  Its date night for me and him or guys night out for him and Daddy. 

a_and_j_momma
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

For our family we get together on Christmas Eve and make these things called 3 corners. My grandma used to make the dough but since she passed away my mom has been making it. All of the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc come over (my grandma had 11 kids), to help. After the dough is mixed, one of us rolls it out and cuts them into squares. We then stuff them with potatoes and cheese, dried fruit, sauerkraut, or cottage cheese and raisin. Then we pinch them shut, someone boils them, another person takes the boiled ones and fries them in oil and sour cream. After those are done we eat (not those) and then open presents from the extended family. Because our family is so big, we draw names on Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve we open gifts from our extended family. Christmas day we open gifts with our immediate family and then have a big dinner with everyone and eat the things we made on Christmas eve.

Traditions don't have to be that big though. You can make a gingerbread house every year or decorate christmas cookies. You can make a fun day by decorating the house then doing a craft together. Not just for Christmas but for any holiday :)

EDIT

Sorry, I just saw you said not holiday related. You can do anything really...family game night once a week. You can go do something kid oriented as a family say every two weeks. You can just make breakfast together every Sunday.

crysjuls
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM

the 3 corners sound good.  now, i'm hungry!  lol

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

For our family we get together on Christmas Eve and make these things called 3 corners. My grandma used to make the dough but since she passed away my mom has been making it. All of the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc come over (my grandma had 11 kids), to help. After the dough is mixed, one of us rolls it out and cuts them into squares. We then stuff them with potatoes and cheese, dried fruit, sauerkraut, or cottage cheese and raisin. Then we pinch them shut, someone boils them, another person takes the boiled ones and fries them in oil and sour cream. After those are done we eat (not those) and then open presents from the extended family. Because our family is so big, we draw names on Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve we open gifts from our extended family. Christmas day we open gifts with our immediate family and then have a big dinner with everyone and eat the things we made on Christmas eve.

Traditions don't have to be that big though. You can make a gingerbread house every year or decorate christmas cookies. You can make a fun day by decorating the house then doing a craft together. Not just for Christmas but for any holiday :)

EDIT

Sorry, I just saw you said not holiday related. You can do anything really...family game night once a week. You can go do something kid oriented as a family say every two weeks. You can just make breakfast together every Sunday.

crysjuls
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

anyone else have any traditions?

ErikaRobin
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM

We have a Family Game Night about once a month and let the kids pick the games we play.  It's always a great time.

Let's see...certain movies are tradition in our house.  And whenever we watch them together, there WILL be popcorn.  Oh, yes, there will be popcorn.

Other traditional things are still on holidays or holiday related, like Santa's bootprint on the carpet, whoever finds the potato ornament gets to "play Santa" on Christmas morning, lighting sparklers to ring in the New Year...

Stuff like that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)