Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Family Traditions

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am blogging about Christmas Family Traditions right now. I'm interested in what you mamas do for the holidays?

The Mom O Blog       The Sweet Pea Chronicles 

Mother to "Teen and Only Daughter "Ashley 16,"Sweet Pea "Samuel 4, and "Two Little Rascals" Joshua 12,and Ronnie 10.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Baking cookies was a biggie in my house, noone seems to do any bonding anymore, evryone is always so rushed!,, we make gingerbread houses too, i will go find that photo.....

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM

On Christmas Eve, I always put a roast in the crockpot.  When it gets dark, we all get in the truck, stop at the 7-11 for hot chocolate and drive around listening to Christmas music and looking at lights.  When we get home, dinner is ready to be put on the table.  We have a huge family meal and then the kids open one gift before they go to bed.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

heartstolen08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Well my son is still kinda of too little to do a whole lot with but things my mom did with me that I plan on doing with him are decorating the tree together and letting him put the star ontop at the end, getting him a special ornament each year, reading Twas the night before Christmas before bed on Christmas eve and hanging up his stocking then too.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

decorating the tree was always big too, we always had craft ornaments from when we were babies, we would make apple cider, go to the tree farm and take turns cutting it down, putting it up together and hanging the ornaments we all made, we would have loads of goodies, it is a whole afternoon event!

single_and_preg
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

When i was a kid we used to drive around and look at christmas lights.

We also got 1 present each and left cookies and milk for santa

twilight3
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM
Well,i grew up in a 100% italian family/tradition. On Xmas Eve our dinner was always late, like 9:00/10:00, because everyone worked til late. Also dinner was/is always based on seafood/fish(like cod, eww), spaghetti with clams, all kinds of veggies. After we ate, we opened 1 present, always pj's, we all wore them. After that we played card games or bingo...abiut an hiur or so, we had dessert, more espresso coffee or wine. The house was always filled, not just family, since most of them are in Italy, but friends too. I really miss those days. In my house instead we bake cookies, cakes all day, i let my kids help me, always have, it's so much fun. The only thing that i cook like my family did, is the spaghetti with clams. We do open 1 gift, pj's(dh did it too growing up), after that we have hot cocoa & watch Xmas movies, play games,reading stories, whatever we feel like.

R.I.P. Daddy...miss you 9/7/09

blessedmomof4
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM

We go to Christmas Tree Lane each year. That is four blocks of lighted/decorated homes. We would have hot cocoa and candy canes.

We Christmas tree hunt together then go to a cafe afterwards.

Make sugar cookies, gingerbread houses, homeade ornaments, and other crafts together.

Christmas movies...

Check out my blog below. I am adding one unique Christmas tradition a day for twenty days.

Love reading your traditions.

The Mom O Blog       The Sweet Pea Chronicles 

Mother to "Teen and Only Daughter "Ashley 16,"Sweet Pea "Samuel 4, and "Two Little Rascals" Joshua 12,and Ronnie 10.

savedbygrace316
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

The usual.......bake and decorate sugar cookies, make christmas ornaments and other crafts, watch every christmas movie we can get our hands on.

baby 1stholiday

iluvcallalilies
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Our "unique" traditions include (we also do the normal stuff as well):

• I wrap 25 Christmas books and we open one a day Dec. 1 - 25 (I use the same books each year - found some at garage sales, clearance, after Christmas, etc)
  • We wear matching PJs on Christmas Eve/ Morning
  • We countdown with an Advent Calendar and fun activity each day
  • We do an Advent Wreath and scripture reading/candle lighting every day
  • I play piano and we sing carols together
  • I wrap the girls gifts in paper for each one - Cinderella for oldest, Mickey Mouse for middle, and Pooh for youngest (according to their favorites)

Click to join our group: Christian Celebrations

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)