Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for Christians

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM
  • 28 Replies

Do you (or will you ) let your kids read the Harry Potter books or similar fantasy books? Why or why not?

I am not Christian but I see nothing wrong with the kids reading the books or watching the movies, it is fantasy and my kids are old enough to know that they really can't do magic. I was asking because my daughter friend was over and Wizards of Waverly place was on. and her friend said she can't watch it because witch craft is bad and they can't read Harry Potter either or Twilight or anything about any fantasy stuff ,my oldest has a series of books about fairies and gnomes and stuff that she wanted to let her borrow and she said her mom will not let her read them. I asked my daughter if her friend say why they can't read these books and she said it was because they where Chritsian Any how just wondering if this was all Christians or just some THANKS

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

As a Catholic I will not let my children read or watch The Golden Compass or any of the series involved.  The writer is a known Atheist and I think there is no reason to support him.  Other than that if the subject matter is ok then I don't restrict what they read.

audriesmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

We love to read and I see nothing wrong with encouraging a  childs imagination.  As Christians we teach our daughter about the bible and go to church but we dont feel the need to shelter her from everything.  We want her to be able to experience situations and things and make her own decisions based on the values we taught her.

eat2live
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

As a Christian, I say it's a personal decision.  We let our kids read these books/see these movies as feel they are just fantasy and fun.  I would not expect my son to really think he is a Wizard or Witch just from reading/watching these types of things.  I do have VERY conservative Christian friends however, who do NOT let their kids watch/read these things and do not let their kids participate in Halloween.  Personally, I feel if you're teaching your kids why it's not okay to believe in witches, wizards, magic based on your beliefs, then at some point, you need to let your kids decide for themselves if this is a choice they want to make.  I loved Halloween as a kid and do not want to rob my kids of the fun I had.  It's okay to be a Christian and have fun without taking everything so literally. 

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I will not keep my son from reading things like this if he so chooses.  We will talk about it though and I will make sure he knows it is just fantasy.  I'll never forget when trolls were so popular and my mom would not let me have one because they had "magic wishing stones" on them.  I didn't believe in that, I just wanted a troll!

Now Oiuji boards I will NOT allow.

hfs1998
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I'm a Christian of the Catholic persuasion.  I've read the Harry Potter series and Twilight plus I've seen episodes of Waverly Place.  They are all okay to me.  Like a PP noted though, we'll skip the Golden Compass at least until the kids are old enough to have better critical thinking processes.  I don't believe in banning books or movies or anything but do believe in waiting until kids are mature enough to handle the content.

How does your friend feel about the Chronicles of Narnia?  They are fantasy books written by a Christian who inserted many Christian themes in the books. 

jennylynne2003
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM

No matter what my religion reading stimulates imagination, which makes a better person. If i dont agree with what they are reading on a personal level i talk to my children about not sheild them from it. I find as a mother the more open and the more you talk to them the more they understand. They will believe what they want but they will know my views and why.

chair.r13
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My son may read/view anything he wants (as long as it is age appropriate of course). Ignorance breeds ignorance. It is my job to help him process what he discovers.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

We are Christians and I read Harry Potter, Twilight ( ewww), and own the HP series on DVD as well. When my girls are old enough we will allow them to watch those shows and read the books.

My SIL and BIL do not allow my 7 yr old niece to watch WOWP as they don't feel it is appropriate for her to watch.

Not all Christians are anti fantasy... there are some that feel it is against God and His word. There are others of us that do not believe that it is contaminating our minds or separating us from the Lord.

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Admin- International Adoption
deltacogirl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I'm a Christian and I watch/read Harry Potter.  Its a bit of a tricky situation because I do believe that magic and witchcraft are very real, and aren't good at all.  But I also know its fantasty, and what's portrayed really isn't what happens with actual witchcraft.  My brother and sister are reading the books now (the are 9 and 10) and we've talked about our views on it. When my daughter is old enough, she can read them if she wants, but again, we'll talk about it.  There's good conversations to be had if its approched the right way.  Not all Christians would agree with me though.

Trisha-Faye
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

yes and yes.  Why not?  They are fantasy books, nothing in them that is contradictory to my christian beliefs and lots of good moral and ethical lessons being taught w/out preaching. (I am RC btw)

My mom was SB and her preacher did a sermon on the evils of HP.  So she asked to borrow my dd's copy (this was when it first came out).  She read it and her response was:  I don't get what the big deal is.  This is a cute book, when does the next one come out?

As for movies and book and television..I have this wierd thing I have always done with my kids..its called communication.  We discuss things in movies, books and television and why what is being portrayed is or isn't good, etc.  I bought my son The Dark Materials set for his 12th bday..he didn't like them..but his then 18 yr old sister loved them and his then 25 yr old brother took the set since he didn't want them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)