Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL's

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM
  • 24 Replies

Does your MIL favor one child over another? Or heck, even your mother?

My son isn't my husband's but he's raised him since birth, and my MIL favors my SIL's children over my DS. We live with MIL and FIL but MIL will never speak to my son, interact with him unless it's forced and when it comes to Christmas and birthdays, he gets maybe 1 or 2 presents while the others get up to 10. It's driving me crazy and I don't want my son to feel that he's not good enough for his Gigi, let alone feel bad when his brother is born.

What should I do? Any advice?

Lilypie
Lilypie - (rskR)

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Holly126
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Bump.

This doesn't happen to anyone else???

Lilypie
Lilypie - (rskR)

Mom_2_be2008
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM

My FIL treats my skids as his own.  He and I no longer speak or see each other and since my dh told him he should steer clear of our home since of how he treated me he has mad ZERO effort to see my dd.  I don't think he has even asked about her.  He favors Skids BIG TIME! He didn't buy my dd a present for her 1st b-day, which I really don't care about, and I am fairly positive he wont buy her any Christmas presents either.  I am also fairly certain he tells people I keep her from him so he looks like the good guy and I look like the bad guy.. whatever.. he is an ass on many many levels. 

Brandymamaof4
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM

My Mother favors my sisters oldest kid over all the other grandkids, and it is bad.  One year at Christmas when there was only 3 grandkids, my 2 boys whom where 2.5 years and 1 month, and my sister kid who was almost one at the time, my mom spent well over $300 on my Niece, she had at least ten gifts to open, she bought my 1.5 year 2 small gifts and nothing at all for the 1 month old. I know they where to young to even know, but I was very hurt. Now I don't do Holidays with her.

Screws just fall out all the time, the world's an imperfect place.    John Bender: The Breakfast Club

stefvan
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM

My MIL probably favors the 7 that live near her (2 with that she had to adopted) over ours who are 8 hours away. 

My parents don't favor one over the other.  But, they seem to take up more for my dd when I get on her case! 

mommyof2grls06
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM

My MIL favors my oldest over my middle. I'm not sure why, but even when I showed her the u/s of my middle daughter she said, "Why not a boy?". I think she gave up on her boy with my youngest daughter. She may get a grandson in a few years  though.

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage, Natural childbirth having, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CIO, Co-sleeping, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

southernjess3
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM

my in laws  favors one of their  four grandchildren..its a little girl..she is their whole world:(

CafeMom Tickers

c_lynn08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM

my aunt has 8 kids her oldest are twin boys theyre 30 ..she really dislike their kids..I dont know why..

I think its the ugliest thing to be mean to a kid for no reason.

She has a girl who is 28 with 4 kids -she loves them but hates her. She has another daughter who is 26 she has 3 kids --loves her and them. She has a son who is 24 --he doesnt have any kids of his own and just has SC.. hate'em.

I am not using the term hate and love loosely. This women has serious problems. 

*oh yeah her other 3 kids dont have any children*

nemiller
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM

my MIL only has one grandchild, so there's no issue.  i hope she doesn't favor one child over the other when there's more grandchildren (we'll probably be the only ones supplying them for awhile).

my mom favored my son, but i think it's because she lived closer to my newphew so she saw him all the time.  we live across the country, so we only got to see her once or twice a year.  my brother and SIL basically abused her kindness and treated her like an on-call babysitter, so that didn't help.  when she got to see my son, she could enjoy him without having to act in a parenting role.  i did the not-so-fun stuff like diaper changes and getting up with him, and all she had to do was play with him and love on him.  i guess it's more like she preferred how i am as a mother to how my SIL is, rather than anything to do with the boys.

kl08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Ugh! That is not fair.  If I were you, since it is your MIL, I would have your husband sit down and have a chat with her.  Tell her that what she is doing is obvious and it is not fair to the children.  The children are going to grow to resent her and then the pages will turn and she wont like it.  If that doesn't work I would say you should sit down and have a chat.  It is just wrong and not fair and no child has ever asked or deserved that!  Best of luck in your situation!

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM

My in-laws ignore us.  We found out they were moving out of state through MY brother!  Yeah, they have replaced their son with their DILs brother.  Real considerate huh?  FIL has seen my 2 1/2 year old son 3 times since he was born.  He takes off work for his granddaughter's dance performances (to see every performance that week) but he worked for my son's 1st birthday.  MIL dropped off BIL and said she had to go pay some bills.  She went home and played computer games.

Needless to say, we are not upset that they are moving out of state!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)