Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Featured on Home Makeover Facing Foreclosure

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM
  • 30 Replies

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/another-extreme-makeover-home-edition-family-facing-foreclosure--834

Another 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Family Facing Foreclosure

By Lindsay Robertson | Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 11:13 AM

The Wofford family home, from "Makeover"
TV screen capture

The team from ABC's heartwarming and popular reality series "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" may give worthy families a whole new house. But yet another family who appeared on the show learned that they don't guarantee you'll keep that house forever.

The Wofford family of Encinitas, California, got their house from the show five years ago, but now claim that after struggling for two years to pay their bills, they're facing foreclosure . Dr. Brian Wofford, a widower and father of eight, explained the crisis, telling 10News: "A lot of people think when you get the house, you get the mortgage. Well, you don't."

The Woffords aren't the first family featured on the show to face serious financial problems after their home makeover. The Harper family of Atlanta, who received the show's biggest house to date, along with the money to pay taxes on it for 25 years, famously faced foreclosure last year after taking out an ill-advised $450,000 loan using the house as equity. And at least four other "Extreme Makeover" recipient families have had to sell or lose the homes they won on the show. ABC is probably considering changing the show's rules (maybe the houses don't need to be quite so lavish, for example) to help avoid such disasters in the future.

However, there's still hope for the Woffords. Loan modification papers are being promised by their bank, OneWest, next week. If they don't go through, the house will be auctioned by the bank in two weeks, but Dr. Wofford is optimistic about his family's future: "If I have my family and I live in a tent, I'm in good shape. Better be a big tent though."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

One thing that makes me wonder about this newest family foreclosing is he is a Doctor??? I know my doctor makes BANK how is it he is hurting for money???

Jenn

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM

My opinion is this:

The show should not make houses so large and expensive, that the families cannot afford them. What's the point? They give you this great house, just for you to lose it a few years later, and be back to where you were before you had the house, maybe even worse.

Most families on there only want/need a home that can accomodate their family. So, in most cases, why not just remodel the homes and make them fit the family? Why build such a huge and lavish house? Why not build a home that will fit in the family's budget? Or, pay off the mortgage from the get go, so the family does not lose the house?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Neeters1
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM

That is really sad that this is happening to people.  I mean this should not happen to them...

WAHM of 2 cute and adorable boys! :)

Brandon and Zachary

My Brandon has Autism....

-- Neeters! :)

lvnmylif
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

It doesn't surprise me one bit.  Not everyone that gets a house from that show is a victim of circumstances.  Some of them are simply living with the repercussions of their poor money managing skills.  If you can't afford to go to home depot and spend a few hundred dollars on supplies and fix up your house why in the world would you think you can carry a 450,000 mortgage. 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM

They don't owe anything on the houses after they are built.  They are even given money to pay the taxes.  These are bad choices made by the families after the show.

Quoting krystlzd3:

My opinion is this:

The show should not make houses so large and expensive, that the families cannot afford them. What's the point? They give you this great house, just for you to lose it a few years later, and be back to where you were before you had the house, maybe even worse.

Most families on there only want/need a home that can accomodate their family. So, in most cases, why not just remodel the homes and make them fit the family? Why build such a huge and lavish house? Why not build a home that will fit in the family's budget? Or, pay off the mortgage from the get go, so the family does not lose the house?

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM

WOW! GET OUT! I LOVE THIS SHOW,,,, and i always wondered what happened after,,,,thanks for this,,,,,, i had NO IDEA!

lvnmylif
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Quoting krystlzd3:

My opinion is this:

That's what they do.  These families have taken out loans against the equity of the new house they were given knowing they did not have the money to pay back the loan.  So they were given a house then they went and took out money on the house and squandered it away.  That is not the fault of this show.  They need to take responsibility for their poor decisions.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

He has 8 children, and he is a widow. We have no idea if he is possibly still paying medical bills and such from his wife, depending on if she was ill before she passed.... and if he is a GP doctor he could have a large patient base of low income.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

One thing that makes me wonder about this newest family foreclosing is he is a Doctor??? I know my doctor makes BANK how is it he is hurting for money???

Jenn

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

Hanaas_mommy

Quoting krystlzd3:

My opinion is this:

I totally agree with this. Also the houses are so lavis that the taxes on them have to be extremely high so how are the people supposed to be able to pay them and also the utilities on these giant houses if they could not afford the places that they had in the first place. It is no wonder so many of them are losing the houses. Also they could help more people if they did not spend so much on just one  place.

JMVITT

Cant say I feel sorry for them.....when my mom and dad were struggling, the first check written every month was the mortgage.  My home with my husband is paid for now but before, thats the first check written.  You can go to food banks for food, you can rid yourself a lot of ammenities but a roof over your head is priceless.  News flash....if you can't afford your mortgage, sale the damn house!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)