Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a teacher withhold snack for bad behavior? *Need answers please*

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM
  • 46 Replies

I am having a hard time finding Texas laws for schools about meals/snacks/punishment. Can anyone help me?

My son is almost 4.  He goes to mother's day out two days a week.  He said that today most of the kids didn't mind Mrs. Kristy, so nobody got snack today.  When I was a teacher at a daycare for 5 yrs, we were always told to withhold toys/centers/outside time.  Never food.  Is that something teachers can do?  Is it right?  Need answers/opinions.  I don't feel it's fair to make ALL the kids do without bc most were bad.  My kid scarfed down his snack I packed for him when he got in the car bc he was so hungry.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwaysyoung
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I don't know if they can do that but it is not right. I would never withhold food from a child.

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

i dont think they can. its usually time outs and have toys taken away. im pretty sure that is a no-no! follow up with the director. and if that doesnt work, try the people that do the inspections!

i.heart.rachel
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

They can do whatever they want.

I mean, it's not RIGHT.. but as far as that goes.. there's no rule a kid has to have a snack. Know what I mean?

I would be asking about it, though.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

snowpeasmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

in my phsyci class they said NEVER NEVER use food as a reward or punishment with children. And I agree with it 100% on certain people it causes eating disorders

baby growth

galaxy questcosleeping mommyProud Work At Home Mom Blinkiehomebirth blinkie

adamjackie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I would not think they could but I dont know. With holding food from a child as punishment is wrong imo.

Meganskiddos
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Thanks ladies.  I totally agree with ya'll.

deltacogirl

Withholding snack is actually grounds for dismissal at many daycare centers.  I'd call the director to find out what's going on, because that's not at all acceptable.  I would have been fired if I had done that, and I worked with elementary kids.

college.mom0f2

In the state of Colorado it is illegal to with hold food, contact your state licensing agency and make a report! 

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I would be complaining to the princepal about this. It is not right to withhold food from a child especially a young child.   

terrabiglieri
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Well when I was taking classes to be a pre-school teacher, one of my instructers said you NEVER use food as a form of punishment, so Id be mad. There are far more things she could have taken away. Food is not a reward, but a necessity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)