Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My battle.... ask me anything (pic may offend)

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

So, I was thinking that as I have met some of the mamas on here, and they find out that I am a childhood cancer survivor, they often have questions for me.  I thought, maybe, I could give everyone a chance to ask any questions that they might have about what I went through.  I will answer all questions the best that I can.  I remember alot of it, eventhough I was young, and have learned more as I have gotten older.  Also, here is a pic of me during one of my many radiation treatments.  I hope it doesn't offend anyone.  The only thing I ask is that we keep this post respectful!  Thanks.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
officerjoeys
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I don't have any questions, but I do want to say that I hope you are still cancer-free and stay that way. Your pic is not offensive in anyway at all. 

www.myspace.com/lilmisstink

vatofamily
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Wow!  I've never met someone like that.

You look very young in the picture, do you remember a lot of it?

Did you ever resent your parents because you didn't understand that you had to go to hospital?

Do you feel like a stronger person today because you went through it or are you indifferent?

Before you had kids, did you worry that it somehow may be genetic?

Sorry if these questions are too nosey.  I'm just curious, don't worry about answering if they are too much!

mymomisthebomb
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Awww, so little:) I do hope your a cancer free Survivor! God bless you, I am sure you went through alot!

Photobucket
kiralyn
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM

i have lots of questions for you! my dd is also a cancer survivor.

how old were you?

what do you remember?

do you remember the pain?

have you ever had a second malignancy?

did you have trouble having children?

is it something you told your friends about growing up?

do you still have to have yearly check ups? we were told she would have to have yearlys at the seattle cancer care alliance forever, but she also had a bone marrow transplant.

right now, my daughter remembers a few things. she remembers her hickman lines, she knows what saline flushes are for, and shes told me "i dont like that chemo medicine" lol.

Kayci9
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM

What type of cancer did you have? How long did it take you to get into remission?

I knew a little boy a few years back who died of cancer, it was so heartbreaking. I didn't know him well, but his brother and I were in the same class and I lived in a very small town so everyone knew the family. I can't imagine going through that as a parent or as the child.

manda325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Quoting vatofamily:

Wow!  I've never met someone like that.

You look very young in the picture, do you remember a lot of it?

I was 22 months old when I was diagnosed, and 5 the last time I went into remission.  I remember a whole bunch of it, I guess because it's kinda traumatic.

Did you ever resent your parents because you didn't understand that you had to go to hospital?

No, I guess because I was so young, it always seemed normal to me, I didn't know that it wasn't that way for all kids.

Do you feel like a stronger person today because you went through it or are you indifferent?

Yes, I feel like all rough things that we go through in life make us stronger.

Before you had kids, did you worry that it somehow may be genetic?

Because of the damage from the radiation, I can only carry to 5 months.  I lost 2 baby girls at 5 mo. each.  Our girl's are adopted.  I never worried about it being genetic though, because of all the research I have done.

Sorry if these questions are too nosey.  I'm just curious, don't worry about answering if they are too much!

Not nosey at all, this is why I made this post!    : )

manda325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Quoting Kayci9:

What type of cancer did you have? How long did it take you to get into remission?

I knew a little boy a few years back who died of cancer, it was so heartbreaking. I didn't know him well, but his brother and I were in the same class and I lived in a very small town so everyone knew the family. I can't imagine going through that as a parent or as the child.

Rhabdomyosarcoma, the tumor was in my urethra tube.  I was 22 mo. old when diagnosed, 3 1/2 the first time I went into remission, but that only lasted 3 months, then final remission at 5 yrs old.

manda325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Quoting kiralyn:

i have lots of questions for you! my dd is also a cancer survivor.

how old were you?                          22 months to 5 yrs

what do you remember?          Lots of dr visits, strange things like pushing my IV rack through the hallways of the hospital, being bald, being ill from the chemo, not being able to play as long as other kids cause I would tire out.

do you remember the pain?   A little

have you ever had a second malignancy?  NO

did you have trouble having children?  Yes, but my radiation was in the 80's and it's alot diff now.  The damage from the radiation caused my uterus to shrink so small that I cannot carry full term

is it something you told your friends about growing up?  Sometimes, when I was young I was proud, then as I got to be a teen, I felt shame, that didn't last long though. lol

do you still have to have yearly check ups? we were told she would have to have yearlys at the seattle cancer care alliance forever, but she also had a bone marrow transplant.

I did follow up appts with my cancer dr until I was 18, now I just do my lady exams once a year.

right now, my daughter remembers a few things. she remembers her hickman lines, she knows what saline flushes are for, and shes told me "i dont like that chemo medicine" lol.

I remember my hickman lines, they left the cups in until I was 9 yrs old and they started to bother me as I got close to puberty and developing breasts.  I wish your girl all the luck in the world.  She is a strong spirit mama, hold her close.

MommaBunch84
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Quoting mymomisthebomb:

Awww, so little:) I do hope your a cancer free Survivor! God bless you, I am sure you went through alot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)