Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does the Average Grandparent do for your kids?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM
  • 22 Replies

What  do you expect out of them?

How much time do they spend with your children?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
officerjoeys
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM

My parents even though we live like 20 minutes from their house I limit time they spend. It's just because there is a lot of stuff I don't like that they do or my brother does. He lives with my parents and swears a lot, is kind of mean and has been in jail several times. Not a habit I want my kids to pick up. If they acted more decent then I would probably let them over more. My s/o's parents on the other hand are decent and treat all my kids very well. We usually seen them once a week if my s/o gets an off day from work. They live 45 minutes from us, so it's hard to get out there more than that. In the summer time they take all of the kids for a couple of days at a time, so me and my s/o can have some time for us. 

www.myspace.com/lilmisstink

savannahnhi
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM

My parents spoil my daughter.  they are great grandparents.

My mother in law is not allowed to be near my daughter,  i don;t expect crap from her.

mz_erica03
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM

My children don't have their grandfathers, they have passed on.

I don't have a lot of contact with the grandma's and my mom could be a better grandma but that's a WHOLE 'nother Jerry Springer show.

What do I expect? I expect her to be a grandmother because the very desire and nature is within her. Not because her fiance loves my kids and she just wants to look good.

macysmama1206
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I don't really expect my ILs or my parents to do anything.  My mother takes DD overnight some, use to be more often, but she is busy remodeling her home.  My dad lives out of town, but when he is here, he spends every possible second with DD.  My ILs are a different story.  They take DD and SS every other weekend at least (SS is with us EOW) some times they take DD on the weekends in between.  MIL goes above and beyond any other grandparent I have ever met.  If the kids want something, they get it.  Because both of the kids are involved in extracirrculars, she helps with those some.  It isn't that we couldn't do it ourselves, I think she just really wants them to have the best of the best.  She wasn't able to do that for DH so I think she is trying to make up for it.  While I don't expect anything out of them, my children have some really great grandparents who love them dearly and would do anything in the world for them.  They are really blessed little kids!

newmommyas1107
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I dont expect much out of them since they dont have alot of time, my mother work full time except on weekends. My daughter is with my parents all the time that I allow. She goes to their house every friday night and comes home on Sunday afternoon. Unless we have plans that weekend.
My husbands mother I dont expect much out of concidering my BIL is ill and cant have many visitors and she has to care for him. We do go over to my MIL house onc or twice a week. Jennafyr just doesnt stay with her.

valnuts
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

My mom babysit whenever I need her to if she can.

lvnmylif
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM

As far as my parents are concerned I expect them to stay as far away from my children as possible.  As far as their other grandparents I expect that they interact with my children in a positive way.  That's it.  If they buy them things great.  If they don't that's fine too.  I am not a big fan of putting all kinds of rules on the grandparent/child relationship.  I expect that their house is kind of a free zone.  If they can't respect my wishes and interact with my children on a positive level they don't spend time with them.  MIL learned this one the hard way.

i.heart.rachel

My mom favors my oldest daughter. She gets her at least 3 times a month and lets her spend the night. The other two stay with her probably once every other month. She says it's because they're younger and harder to entertain. She's very lazy and my oldest takes care of herself so there is no "work" involved. No car seat, no holding hands to walk inside the house, no fixing her meals when she is hungry.

Rachel's mom sees them every week at least once a week but they don't spend the night there (she smokes so I don't allow it). She spends time with all of them equally. She also lives only a few doors down so there is no excuse for her.. my mom lives 20 minutes away so there is another excuse. :/

Oh I forgot to mention the kids are never all 3 gone at once so a "night alone" is not included in all of that ^^. And our moms rotate watching our kids on Tuesday nights for Girl Scouts. It's twice a month so one week my mom will do it and then the other week her mom will do it.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

audriesmommy

My parents are so devoted to their grandchildren.  They see them a few times a week and also have special things that they do with each one of them.  They are amazing hands on grandparents just as they were parents.  My dad is always on the floor wrestling or playing and so is my mom.  My in laws on the other hand have not seen my kids in 3 months.

1day1

My father is the most amazing grandparent ever!!! He sees my DS almost everyday! They are best friends.

My mom sees my DS quite a bit but they really don't even have a real connection that they could have. My mother is very self-centered.

My MIL .. blah.. she's a worthless ... she even has made remarks about DS. How he doesn't have manners and comments how spoiled he is going to become .... she can suck it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)