Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much does it cost to change your name?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am wanting to know this because my sister and her "cult" has decided to change my sisters kids' last names. they say the school they are going to does not like it that all of my sisters girls have 2 last names. from both my sis and their father. so now my sister and her "cult" decided it would be best if all of the girls just had my sisters last name. but my ?? is how much does this cost? I mean my sis and the cult are already screwing the state of utah for getting money for food and medicad and free day care. and to them they are broke and dont have $$ for crap. so i do not see how they will be able to afford changing 3 kids names with social security.

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lvnthegoodlife
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I'm sorry "cult"?

Honeybun09
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I don't remember paying anything to change my name after being married.

snowpeasmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I am not sure I know in the state of california I had a home birth and had to go to court to get my sons birth certificate, and had an appointment and everything, they said every person that was going to be on the certificated had to be there with their birth certificated and ss card, (well the baby, just needed a note from the home birth mid wife that was notorized). Anyways I just showed up with the baby, they had me fill out this form before seeing the judge, and then they brought me something that looked like a birth certificated accept on the bottom it said I swear that this is all correct, they said I couldn't put down the father becasue I wasn't married, and he wasn't there.  When I saw the judge he said "I could name the baby what ever I wanted he didn't even need to have my last name or the father's but they said it would cause me problems later in life if I wanted to be crazy, so I gave him my last name, and they said that if the father ever came forward it would cost $100 per letter to change one thing on the birth certificate, so if I wanted to change his last name to say "SMITH" it would cost $500." then he had me sign the paper in front of him and they gave me two certificated cause I asked for two. 

baby growth

galaxy questcosleeping mommyProud Work At Home Mom Blinkiehomebirth blinkie

Juliekat23
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Cost varies, however, both the mother and father on the birth certificate MUST okay the name change.  My friend changed his entire name (he's 28) and it cost him a total of $400 including fingerprinting and stuff.  This is in TX. 

Its complicated, thats all I know. 

CafeMom Tickers

abbymomof1
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM

not really but it seems like one. here is the short verson of it.

my sister, her 5 kids, their father, my aunt & uncle and their 2 kids and 2 grandkids, along with some guy who they call family but is not really family live in the mountains of utah in a log cabin the was built by my uncle for him and his wife to retire in. it is a 2bed room cabin with a loft. they own a resturant up there and they all work there including the kids. they have 1 bank account that they all share but they all get individual checks for working (does that make sense?) they do the indiviual checks so the moms with kids can get medicad and fs and wic. my sis gets free babysitting because they lie to the state and say that my cousin who watches the kids does not live in the same house. she lives in the lot next door.(which is sooo false because the lot next to them is dirt and trees) i say cult because of how they choose to live. but my sister totally lets them run her life. i mean she has no $$ of her own, no car of her own and her babies HER babies prefer to be with the other people and not HER! 4 out of her 5 kids' first words were kristi(which is my cousin) and they have to be with kristi. it has even come to the point where her older kids are calling my sis by her real name not mom or mommy.

sorry that ended up being a little long. but the way they live just seems to me like a cult.

Quoting lvnthegoodlife:

I'm sorry "cult"?

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    

kaker104
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Just to add "Jr" to our sons name (bc it somehow got left off the bc) took almost a year and had the clerk not just decided to have sympathy for us, we would have had to taken it to court and paid lots of money.  

abbymomof1
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Thanks ladies. Now I at least know that it is expensive. I just think my sister needs to tell the school to deal with it because that is what SHE named them. But oh well. I can not tell her anything, she won't listen to me and will get pissed at me for disagreeing with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)