Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do wash your floors and how does it work for you?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you wash your floors?

Options:

Old Fashion....hands and knees

Mop

Swiffer Wet Jet or simliar type of cleaner

Steam Cleaner

The dogs clean up

Other...please list

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

So not that long ago we moved into a house. We have hard wood floors in the living/family room and down the hallway to the bedrooms. The bathrooms have tile and one of the bedrooms have linoium (sp) In the kitchen we have tile floors with white grout and the tile has some chips in them that look thats part of the tile it self  the problem is that dirt gets in them quickly and very hard to clean. So I want to know wants the best thing is to clean all rooms and what works for you. Now we never had this much hard floors before and if you could tell me what brands you use and if its a steam cleaner how much is it and are they easy to use and do they do the job well.

Thankssweeping

Alicia

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maybe_today
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I wash our hard wood floors on my hands and knees twice a week. The other days, I use a mop. I wash them with Apple Cider Vinegar for a few reasons. 1. I like using natural products. 2. Chemical cleaners can be harsh on hard wood floors. 3. The smell of Apple Cider Vinegar isn't as harsh to me as using regular Vinegar.

audriesmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I use a mop daily on our floors and then once a week I get on my hands and knees.

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM

when i had hard wood floors i did them on my hands and knees, with murphys and water. i used Clorox Ready Mop for the linoleum (love love love that mop) and i actually haven't bought a new one so DF does the floors on hands and knees so that i don't have to get down there right now since i'm pregnant.

nancycsel
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM

We have all hardwood floors except for tile in the bathroom and kitchen. I use the Shark Steam mop, can't remember how much it was but got it at Target. I really liked the way it cleaned at first but then I accidentally washed the pads in a regular load with fabric softener and now it leaves streaks when I use it. I need to buy new pads...otherwise I really like it.

mirandas_mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM

On my knees with Dr Bronners Sal suds, on the weeks that Molly Maids doesn't come. 

AurorasMama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I work full time and my husband is a personal trainer and he is home most of the time and our floor gets washed about once a week gross I know. But by the time I get home cleaning is not on my mind. My husband is so lazy he wont even sweep the floor. And when I do it he gets mad cause Im in his way from playing video games. Are the steam mops really quick and dry quickly too?

2purrfect
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM

uhmmmm... I don't.  I hate my tile floors.  They are white and have a pattern.  After living here for a year, I threatened to take a sledge-hammer to the tile because I hate them so much.  From that point on, hubby took over the floors.  He uses a mop and arm-n-hammer cleaner on the tile...and some kind of wood floor cleaner on the hard wood (I don't know what kind).  He keeps it looking really great.  I think it is out of fear of me and the sledge-hammer though.  And yes...I really would have taken the tile up....have done it before and will do it again if I need to...

mirandas_mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Quoting AurorasMama:

I work full time and my husband is a personal trainer and he is home most of the time and our floor gets washed about once a week gross I know. But by the time I get home cleaning is not on my mind. My husband is so lazy he wont even sweep the floor. And when I do it he gets mad cause Im in his way from playing video games. Are the steam mops really quick and dry quickly too?

My oldest daughter has one and she loves it. She says it does dry almost instantly and her floors feel super clean. She has all tile. She says if something is stuck on the grout she'll let the mop sit on it for a minute and then wipe it up. Sometimes she'll spray a little white vinegar on stains.

steph2884
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Ive used one before,not my own and hopefully buying one soon! They are great. The steam kills germs and gets sticky stuff up well. No chemicals and no disposable pads to buy! Dries super fast!

Quoting AurorasMama:

AurorasMama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I was hoping for more responses but it works for me. Thanks everyone

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)