Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help from someone who knows something about cancer

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

Just wondering something. My uncle was diagnosed with cancer in the bottom of his esophagus and upper portion of his stomach. From the tests that they have done they found one big tumor there. The doctor put him on chemo and said that they will take it out surgically after a few months. The problem is the tumor makes it impossible for him to keep any food down even with the tube they put in his stomach. I am really concerned because he is down to 117 pounds. What doesn't make sense to me is that they put him on chemo instead of going in and removing the tumor. Can someone please help me understand why they would do that because it makes no sense to me?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stevi3905
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM

bump 

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

little.miss.mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM

The are probally hoping that with time the tumor will decrease in size. Weight loss is very common while on chemo. Hope your Uncle makes a full and speedy recovery.

wmjsease
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM

My first husband died from the same type of cancer.  I can't remember exactly where in the esophagus the tumor was, but they removed his tumor.  They actually removed the whole esophagus and stretched his stomach up to his throat, allowing him to eat like normal.  He also took chemo and radiation.  It may be the locatioin of the tumor!  It may be that it is so big, that removal of it would hurt the stomach and the esophagus, and possibly the heart since it's right there also.  He may want to get a second opinion from another surgeon to see.  I can tell you that we got two opinons because of the same thing.  The first doctor wanted to do the feeding tube instead of removing the tumor.  So we went to another surgeon and he told us that he couldn't cure him but he sure could remove it and make it where he could eat normally again, without the feeding tube.  It was a major surgery with a lot of cutting, and many staples and stitches, but he was able to work, eat, hunt, etc, for several months after that and live normally again.  Unfortunately within a years time the cancer came back and spread to his spine and killed him.  But the quality of life was better because of the surgery and the surgeon.  Get a second opinion!!!

texassahm
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM

The American Cancer Society has a hotline you can call and talk to someone about your concerns - it's for both cancer patients and family of cancer patients.  I know someone who works there and she says anyone can call and ask questions.

www.cancer.org is the site, I believe the ph# is on the site.

stevi3905
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Quoting wmjsease:

My first husband died from the same type of cancer.  I can't remember exactly where in the esophagus the tumor was, but they removed his tumor.  They actually removed the whole esophagus and stretched his stomach up to his throat, allowing him to eat like normal.  He also took chemo and radiation.  It may be the locatioin of the tumor!  It may be that it is so big, that removal of it would hurt the stomach and the esophagus, and possibly the heart since it's right there also.  He may want to get a second opinion from another surgeon to see.  I can tell you that we got two opinons because of the same thing.  The first doctor wanted to do the feeding tube instead of removing the tumor.  So we went to another surgeon and he told us that he couldn't cure him but he sure could remove it and make it where he could eat normally again, without the feeding tube.  It was a major surgery with a lot of cutting, and many staples and stitches, but he was able to work, eat, hunt, etc, for several months after that and live normally again.  Unfortunately within a years time the cancer came back and spread to his spine and killed him.  But the quality of life was better because of the surgery and the surgeon.  Get a second opinion!!!

Thanks! That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)