Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are they single dads?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

everytime i put cafemom in my search engine an ad for single parent dating dites come up, and while i am not looking for a man and wouldnt look online, i decided to click on it to see who came up in my zip code, so anyway i looked thru twenty profiles and not one had children living at home, YES  they have children and YES they are single if they are not in a relationship with childs mother OR anyone else, but i still dont consider someone a single dad unless they have custody of the kids and are raising them alone, am i wrong?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomX04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:15 PM

married or single, they are either sperm donors or dads

Septpreggo
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Quoting MomX04:

HUH?
Q0112
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM

if they pay child support, if they see the child on a regular basis, if they have a good relationship with the child...they are a "dad"...if they are single while doing this...they are a "single dad". Child doesn't need to live with them

I love my daughter more than anyone on this earth. 2 days till her 4th Birthday. Disney on Ice--HERE WE COME!
***I lost 50 pounds. 40 Pounds to go!***
I love my boyfriend. Six months till our 1st anniversary.

Melo2828
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Just because the kids do not live with the dad full time, does not mean they are not dad anymore.  So yes if they have children and are not married they are a single dad.  

Most court will not let men have full custody unless the mom is really bad or the mother does not fight for custody. That what happen with DH BM did not fight for oldest child so he got to keep her, but the mother wanted the younger child and he lost her.

officerjoeys
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM

According to law they are. My personal opinion though is if they are not putting an effort into seeing their kids or financially supporting them, then they are sperm donors. If they do visit their kids and pay child support whether the kids live with them or not, I would consider them a dad. 

www.myspace.com/lilmisstink

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM

i guess to be literal they are. they are single and a dad.  

Septpreggo
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Quoting Q0112:

if they pay child support, if they see the child on a regular basis, if they have a good relationship with the child...they are a "dad"...if they are single while doing this...they are a "single dad". Child doesn't need to live with them

THIS MAKES ALOT OF SENSE, its just that i have 2  guy friends whos kids live with them full time so thats how i picture a single dad

MomX04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting MomX04:

HUH?

What does it matter if they are married, have custody or not, they are still fathers.  The child is still biologically theirs.  Would you deny a womans right to call herself a mother if she didn't have custody of her child, that is just dumb in my book.

Septpreggo
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Quoting MomX04:

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting MomX04:

HUH?

What does it matter if they are married, have custody or not, they are still fathers.  The child is still biologically theirs.  Would you deny a womans right to call herself a mother if she didn't have custody of her child, that is just dumb in my book.

i never said they couldnt call themselves fathers, the question is wether they are single fathers in the sense of raising a child alone, because if the child lives with the mother they are not being raised alone, the mom is taking care of the child too

MomX04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting MomX04:

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting MomX04:

HUH?

i never said they couldnt call themselves fathers, the question is wether they are single fathers in the sense of raising a child alone, because if the child lives with the mother they are not being raised alone, the mom is taking care of the child too

Everyone I know who is raising their child without a partner calls themselves a single parent, even the ones who don't have custody (male and female).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)