Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone elses 3 almost 4 yr old afraid of monsters in her closet?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM
  • 22 Replies

My 3 yr old DD is afraid of monsters in her closet. Every night she gets so upset because she thinks there are monsters in there. She makes me punch the thin air to send them to the Dr. Anyone else kids go thru this?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Maybe there IS something there?

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM

My daughter started it at about 2.5.It was weird because she's NEVER seen a scary movie/game/book,ect.She's never even been around people talking about scary things.For the longest time she had to sleep with the light on because "the eyes in da dark watchin' me"...we felt so bad for her because we couldn't put her mind at ease no matter how much we tried.Eventually she moved past it and very rarely she'll get up in the middle of the night and turn her light back on.She has a castle mural on her wall,very pretty and not scary in any way but from time to time she tells us that the people in the castle are watching her...there's no people in the mural at all,lol.

Photobucket
preemiemommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM

aiden will be 3 tomorrow...every night before he goes to bed, we have to get the "grabbing goblin" out of his room (grabbing goblin from the backyardigans tail of the mighty knights lol) he isn't really AFRAID so to say...just worried that he will get his toys taken away or something.

so we've got a thing now whenever we go in his room we just say "HEY! what are YOU doing in here grabbing goblin!! get out!" and pretend to throw him into the hallways.   lol..it works :p

My eggo is preggo!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
JakeandEmmasMom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM

My kids went through that a couple of months ago.  I went to Walmart and bought a $3 can of canned air and brought it home and made a new label for it with monsters that I downloaded from the internet.  Then I told them that it was Monster Spray and that we would spray it in the closet and under the bed every night because it would keep the monsters away.  Then I left it in their room at night and told them they could spray it in there whenever they wanted.  It seemed to work.  They were spraying it a lot at first but now I'm not even sure where the can is.

my2loves0607
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Hey that might work for her. I'm going to see if I can find that episode. Thanks for the idea. :)

Quoting preemiemommy:

aiden will be 3 tomorrow...every night before he goes to bed, we have to get the "grabbing goblin" out of his room (grabbing goblin from the backyardigans tail of the mighty knights lol) he isn't really AFRAID so to say...just worried that he will get his toys taken away or something.

so we've got a thing now whenever we go in his room we just say "HEY! what are YOU doing in here grabbing goblin!! get out!" and pretend to throw him into the hallways.   lol..it works :p

my2loves0607
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

My kids went through that a couple of months ago.  I went to Walmart and bought a $3 can of canned air and brought it home and made a new label for it with monsters that I downloaded from the internet.  Then I told them that it was Monster Spray and that we would spray it in the closet and under the bed every night because it would keep the monsters away.  Then I left it in their room at night and told them they could spray it in there whenever they wanted.  It seemed to work.  They were spraying it a lot at first but now I'm not even sure where the can is.

Do you think it is wrong to let them think that monsters are real? Why not just tell them that they don't exist? Do you think that  a 3 yr old can understand that something isnt real?

ginger813
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM

My 4 year old went through that about a year or so ago. I was at a loss as to what to do, but then my grandmother bought my DD a little teddy bear figure (polyresin, so it sits up on a shelf) and told her that it keeps monsters away. I never thought in a million years that it would work, but it did! She has know problems going to bed now! 

tupperwaremom09

My 4 year old son isn't afraid of the closets but he thinks there is monsters in the toliet.  Thanks to my lovely niece telling him that joking now he will not go into the bathroom by himself.

santa greenwreathsanta blueTUPPERWAREMOM09

MrsGonzo517

I also heard someone use a spray bottle of water (even add some food coloring for an effect) and label it "Monster-B-Gone" and let the child spray it all over it help calm them. That might be  alittle bit safer than that can air because it's pretty toxic and can burst if not stored at the right temp! *Good Luck!*

toddler boy                    in love

ginger813
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Quoting my2loves0607:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Do you think it is wrong to let them think that monsters are real? Why not just tell them that they don't exist? Do you think that  a 3 yr old can understand that something isnt real?

I told my DD all the time that monsters aren't real, but she didn't believe me. She was obviously scared of SOMETHING.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)