Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is a prime example...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

of why simply going by the box requirements is not always the smartest or safest decision!!!  My MIL had a backless booster in her garage that I decided to try out on my 27 month old just for curiousity's sake because I know parents put their children in backless boosters at this YOUNG age and, unfortunately, some of those parents are ones I know personally.  This booster has a minimum requirement of over 1 yrs old, over 29 inches tall, and over 30lbs.  My son is 27 months old, 38 inches, and 35lbs so he exceeds those limits by quite a lot.  After seeing these pics, try imagining a tot using this seat at the bare minimum requirement stated on the seat....SCARY!!!

These are phone pictures so they aren't the best quality but you can clearly see the terrible fit.  The lap portion sits slighty on his belly and he, along with most children his age, slouch in their seats after a few minutes in them, so the lap belt will be even further on the soft part of his belly.  The shoulder portion is clearly cutting across his neck.  In an accident, the injuries would be devastating to say the least.  He also kept playing with the shoulder belt.  Sure I could always lock the seat belt but that will only keep him from playing with the shoulder portion, not from the belts cutting into his belly and neck during an accident.  Some of you won't care about this but hopefully some of you will get the message....Simply going by the requirements on the box is NOT always safe.  In my state, Georgia, it is illegal to put a child in a booster until the age of 3 yrs old so box requirements don't take that into consideration at all.  According to this booster, my son clearly exceeds the requirements but you can all clearly see how bad the fit is and how bad the injuries would be if he rode like this in a crash.  PLEASE research things before you make the next step in child restraints.  This isn't about ERF or EH...it is about making the SMART decision based on research...not based on what the box says...Thanks for your time!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I would NEVER in a million years do that. My two will be harnessed until 65lbs.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

hurleydoll18
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Awesomeness!!! lol.  Mine is still rear facing, as you can see in the siggy, and will be harnessed until he is at the proper boostering age (probably around 5.5-6 yrs old) but he'll go into a high back booster, not backless.  Go mama!

Quoting cmb121906:

I would NEVER in a million years do that. My two will be harnessed until 65lbs.

jrp0606
Like I said earlier what's scary is the amount of people that honestly do that to their children and then argue that they are "safe enough".

kayjayjess

I honestly don't get it either.  My 3 AND 5 year old are in a 5 pt harness car seat

Sarah_Janine
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I worked with a lady who told me that when her son was 18 months old (he is now three) she put him in a backless booster! What the hell is wrong with people?! My son is 21 months old and weight 22 lbs, i cant imagine having put him in a backless booster at 18 months! She is a moron.

callie06
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I hate the backless boosters.  We have the car seats that are built into our van seats.  We tried it out the other night because ds's car seat was in the house I was washing it.  He's well over the recommended limits but dh couldn't get it to tighten up it was spring loaded you could fit another one of him in it.  And the straps came right next to his neck.  We looked at each other and said no way in hell.  We took dh's car with his other seat in it.  My dh's one cousin refuses to put their almost 4yr in a harness because the kid complains and hates it and has since he was 3yr.  It's not a decision that the kid should make.  But then again their not the brightest people.

hurleydoll18
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, I know two parents that did this.  One is now 3 but is still the same size as my 2 yr old, if not smaller, and he is in a backless booster.  He has been since he was 2 yrs old so he was even smaller than mine when he went into one.  He would even put the shoulder strap BEHIND his shoulders.  I informed her but never got a resonse back.  She posted more pics later on and he was still in the backless booster with the shoulder strap behind him.  Another friend, also a friend of the other mom, put her son in a high back booster right after he turned 3 yrs old.  He is in a Turbobooster and actually fits pretty good but he is THREE yrs old!  I have been in the car when he was in this booster and saw how he moved around out of position and he even fell asleep when we were driving and he fell completely forward and was laying on his own legs.  I just about freaked.  The mom decided to sit him back up and just recline the seat so he would stay against the seat.  Even better, huh?  These are smart ladies too...it just blows my mind!

Quoting jrp0606:

Like I said earlier what's scary is the amount of people that honestly do that to their children and then argue that they are "safe enough".

jrp0606
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM
I don't think we'll ever understand it. I just looked at those photos again I swear Caleb is looking at it like "WTH mom". He really does not look impressed lol.
Quoting hurleydoll18:

Yeah, unfortunately, I know two parents that did this.  One is now 3 but is still the same size as my 2 yr old, if not smaller, and he is in a backless booster.  He has been since he was 2 yrs old so he was even smaller than mine when he went into one.  He would even put the shoulder strap BEHIND his shoulders.  I informed her but never got a resonse back.  She posted more pics later on and he was still in the backless booster with the shoulder strap behind him.  Another friend, also a friend of the other mom, put her son in a high back booster right after he turned 3 yrs old.  He is in a Turbobooster and actually fits pretty good but he is THREE yrs old!  I have been in the car when he was in this booster and saw how he moved around out of position and he even fell asleep when we were driving and he fell completely forward and was laying on his own legs.  I just about freaked.  The mom decided to sit him back up and just recline the seat so he would stay against the seat.  Even better, huh?  These are smart ladies too...it just blows my mind!

Quoting jrp0606:

MomofWildcats
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM

If you read the box and go by what it says then your stupid.

The law says yo have to be 4 to be in a booster and when you go to Target.com it even tells you 4...

It could be 3 like you said but I swear it said 4... my son is 3 and I was looking for a new set and got annoyed because it said 4 years for the boosters so I have decided to wait another year.

jrp0606
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Some boxes do say 3 and 30lbs although the minimum recomendation is 4 yrs old AND 40lbs, most techs and professionals will advise you too keep them harnessed until closer to 6 so the seatbelt fits properly and the child is mature enough mentally and physically to deal with a seatbelt. I don't know how much you son weighs but if he is under 40lbs I would strongly advise keeping him harnessed until at least 40lbs even if he is 4years old.
Quoting MomofWildcats:

If you read the box and go by what it says then your stupid.

The law says yo have to be 4 to be in a booster and when you go to Target.com it even tells you 4...

It could be 3 like you said but I swear it said 4... my son is 3 and I was looking for a new set and got annoyed because it said 4 years for the boosters so I have decided to wait another year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)