Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why not? -Vent-

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

I like to drink a lot, no not alcohol, just water, tea, whatever. I always have to have a drink and I've always been that way. Well, my 2 year old is like that too. But at daycare they cant have drinks with them all the time. By the time he gets out, his thristy & would like some milk.

For the past year or so I've been bringing a sippy for him & putting it in the fridge that we have in the staff lounge. Its a big fridge. Enough room for everyone's stuff. Who would think a sipppy is such a bad thing to put in there? Well today I go to put his sippy in, just like every day before I start my shift & a co-worker goes, "Oh well, I'm bringing that up in our next meeting. This fridge is for STAFF ONLY, not kids!"

Does this make sense to you? I dont see what the big deal is about. I close, so its not like I can run by the store & get him a drink or snack before I pick him up like a lot of parents do. Idk why this is rubbing me the wrong way, I just think its stupid. I could see if maybe I had his sippy, a coke, a bottle of water, and my lunch in there. But the sippy is the ONLY thing I use the fridge for. Ugh.. maybe I'm just PMS-ing and irritated. lol

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Put it in your own lunch pail/container and they won't even see it.  I see it as being petty too, but that's people for you.

nemiller
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:59 PM

i don't see the big deal.  hopefully your boss and other co-workers will just tell her to shut it.  it's not like you're storing ALL his sippy cups for the whole week in there or anything.  it's one little sippy cup and it's a small thing that makes your life easier.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Do you work there too?  If yes then she is being a pain.  Just say it's your sippy cup. LOL  I'm not sure what the big deal is.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Quoting ajswenson:

Put it in your own lunch pail/container and they won't even see it.  I see it as being petty too, but that's people for you.

Great idea.

lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Quoting wifeofvet:

Do you work there too?  If yes then she is being a pain.  Just say it's your sippy cup. LOL  I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Yeah I work there. lol I wouldnt use it if I didnt, now that, I could see someone getting upset over. But yeah.. I work there. :)

hisbabybat
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I agree that's ridiculous but if it actually causes anymore problems maybe just buy a cheap little cooler and keep it in your car with drinks for you && LO for when he gets out? I agree that would bother me too, such a simple thing for people to start a fuss over. 

inm
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM

There's one in every workplace!  Let her bring it up at the next meeting.  You are staff and you can put your sippy cup in the fridge if you want to.  I highly doubt anyone will take her ridiculous claim seriously, so just ignore her. 
As far as the daycare, I ran into the same thing with the daycare my son goes to.  They don't allow sippy cups and only allow juice or milk with meals.  For my son its like a comfort thing to have a drink when he's sad or scared or whatever.  This is where I can relate to you and your child because my son would have a near meltdown if I didn't have his sippy cup with me when I picked him up.  So I worked out with the daycare workers that he could ask for a glass of water whenever he wants one.  It has to be in a glass and it has to be water, were their two biggest concerns which were both fine by me.  The biggest obstacle was with as young as my son was when we first made these arrangements I had to actually teach him to ask for water when he wanted it.  Daycare can't deny the basics of water right?  It's been working for us for almost a year now, maybe this will work for you too?

lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Quoting inm:

There's one in every workplace!  Let her bring it up at the next meeting.  You are staff and you can put your sippy cup in the fridge if you want to.  I highly doubt anyone will take her ridiculous claim seriously, so just ignore her. 
As far as the daycare, I ran into the same thing with the daycare my son goes to.  They don't allow sippy cups and only allow juice or milk with meals.  For my son its like a comfort thing to have a drink when he's sad or scared or whatever.  This is where I can relate to you and your child because my son would have a near meltdown if I didn't have his sippy cup with me when I picked him up.  So I worked out with the daycare workers that he could ask for a glass of water whenever he wants one.  It has to be in a glass and it has to be water, were their two biggest concerns which were both fine by me.  The biggest obstacle was with as young as my son was when we first made these arrangements I had to actually teach him to ask for water when he wanted it.  Daycare can't deny the basics of water right?  It's been working for us for almost a year now, maybe this will work for you too?

No, they cannot deny water. Its just he's still working on building his vocabulary & when he's upset its even HARDER to understand him so I'm just afraid he's going to be thirsty & not know what to say. Ya know?

AJmum
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I would go over her head and beat her to the punch. I would go to my boss and explain the situation and get "clearance" if you will. Problem solved.

Willowjade
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I would just put it in small plain brown lunch bag with my name written on it.  Tape the top closed and no one will know the difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)