Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A 9 month old in the 8% in weight

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok. I have a nine month old boy who just had his check up recently. He weighed 17 lbs 10 oz. He has only gained a pound and half in the past 3 months. I have concerns about this but his ped does not. He dropped from the 30th precentile to the 8th. He is formula fed and still spits up alot. I do feed him baby food mixed with Ceral 3 times a day and he has 5 to 6 8 oz bottles a day. We have now started him on vitamins since I am concerned he isn't getting everything he needs. Has anyone else been through this before??? Any advice would be welcome. I feel like I am starving my son.

I am a 23 year old mother to Jaidyn, a daughter born 01/07/04 who is my angel, I had her at 17 and assume responsiblity of her with ease. I belived she saved me from a very dark road. To this day she is very smart and very straight forward, and Gerry a son born 02/26/09 who is a miracle baby we thought we would never be able to concieve. He had Craniosynostis on the Sagittal Suture, Diagnosed May 13, 2009, Surgery date June 2, 2009, Counting down to when he doesn't have to wear his helmet on 02/26/2010. I am in love with my fiance Jake who I am going to marry July 10, 2010 . I am a baby-wearing, going to try ERF, tried to BF but is now FF, pro-life with the exceptions in medical risk, incest, rape, and extreme situations, but don't judge your choices, public schooling, circumsied my son and could care less what you do with your son, a firm beliver in your child, your choice, was a teen-mom who graduated with a bachlor's degree in Accounting in May 2008 and is currently working on a Master's in Business Administration. I can't stand liars, drug-users, child abusers, and deatbeat parents who refuse to take care of their children. Don't tell me how to raise my kids and I won't tell you how to raise yours.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM

My middle son has NEVER been on those charts. He is almost 6 and weighs less than my 3 year old.

The falling percentages may be a bit concerning. I was always told as long as they follow thier own curve without drastic drops it is ok, but yours seems like a drastic drop.

He MAY be at the end of a growth lull and beginning a spurt soon though.

Just keep track of what he is eating and start offering snacks and larger meals maybe?

norahsmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM

If your doc is not concerned I wouldn't be either. My kids were always on the low end of the chart but sometimes they got up higher then fell back down in weight. Its just that they would have a growth spurt and shoot up in height and head circumference but not weight.  It sounds like he is getting plenty to eat and the additional vitamins will make sure he is getting everything he needs.  Some kids just don't grow according to the curve.  So long as he isn't actually loosing weight or acting sickly I wouldnt be worried. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

DanielleK21
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Have him checked for a thyroid disorder and I forgot what its called but its where there bodies cant handle wheat, breads, gluten, pastas. I have the same problem with my dd she is 24lbs and turns 3 on the 15th she is in the 3%. Her tests came back normal though.  

I AM A SAHM OF 2 WONDERFUL CHILDREN. LOVING WIFE OF 2 YEARS. I BREASTFED SWITCHED TO FORMULA WITH BOTH OF MY CHILDREN. I BELIEVE IN CRYING IT OUT AFTER 2 MONTHS OLD, SPANKINGS WHEN NEEDED, I LET MY FAMILY EAT JUNK FOOD IF THEY WANT IT, GAVE MY DD'S WHOLE HALLOWEEN, AND EASTER BASKET TO HER TILL THE CANDY WAS GONE. I AM A SMOKER TRYING TO QUIT, DRINK ON OCCASION, LOVE TO COOK, MY HOME IS ALWAYS CLEAN "IF" SOME ONE SHOWS UP, NEVER LATE TO ANYTHING KIND OF MOMMY AND WIFE. ITS JUST WHO I AM.

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM

My son was 13 lbs at 3 months (yes I'm going somewhere with this).  At 6 months he weighed 12 lbs!  At 1 year he was 16 whole pounds.  His pedi said it was a major concern but wouldn't tell me what to do about it.  I switched pedis but he had a major growth spurt (gained 4 lbs in 2 months) before his next appointment so she didn't push it.  At 18 months the diarreah started and the tummy aches.  Now he is 2 1/2 and I finally managed to get a referral to a pediatric GI who is running all sorts of tests.  So far everything came back normal.  We are testing for food allergies and a few other things next.

What have I learned from all of this?  If your gut says something is wrong PUSH the doctors until they listen and do something about it!  If they don't listen then switch doctors.  My poor son has tummy aches several times a day and diarreah about 6 times a day that leaves him with a terrible rash.  He cannot control it so even though he is pee trained I have no hope of poop training him until this is resolved.  So yeah, push if you think something is wrong.  I sure do wish I had pushed sooner and I really had to push his pedi to give me the referral to the GI who says there is a problem.  But watch out for the medical bills!  One visit to the GI with one set of labs was over $1,000 and we still have more visits to go!

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Celiac Disease. My little guy was checked for this too

Quoting DanielleK21:

Have him checked for a thyroid disorder and I forgot what its called but its where there bodies cant handle wheat, breads, gluten, pastas. I have the same problem with my dd she is 24lbs and turns 3 on the 15th she is in the 3%. Her tests came back normal though.  

Korkor
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Ask them to check for an Amylase (Or other pancreatic enzyme) deficiency... I know a pancreatic stimulation is expensive but if you can get some level of Creon and him be fine then that would be worth it..

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My son was 13 lbs at 3 months (yes I'm going somewhere with this).  At 6 months he weighed 12 lbs!  At 1 year he was 16 whole pounds.  His pedi said it was a major concern but wouldn't tell me what to do about it.  I switched pedis but he had a major growth spurt (gained 4 lbs in 2 months) before his next appointment so she didn't push it.  At 18 months the diarreah started and the tummy aches.  Now he is 2 1/2 and I finally managed to get a referral to a pediatric GI who is running all sorts of tests.  So far everything came back normal.  We are testing for food allergies and a few other things next.

What have I learned from all of this?  If your gut says something is wrong PUSH the doctors until they listen and do something about it!  If they don't listen then switch doctors.  My poor son has tummy aches several times a day and diarreah about 6 times a day that leaves him with a terrible rash.  He cannot control it so even though he is pee trained I have no hope of poop training him until this is resolved.  So yeah, push if you think something is wrong.  I sure do wish I had pushed sooner and I really had to push his pedi to give me the referral to the GI who says there is a problem.  But watch out for the medical bills!  One visit to the GI with one set of labs was over $1,000 and we still have more visits to go!

Come on over and join my new group
http://www.cafemom.com/group/wishuponamom
JenniferZiemba
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM

BUMP- sorry I don't have any advice.  My babies are on the high end of the percentile so it sounds so small to me.  Was your son a preemie?

You know you're a mom when you realize
that you're living for the same person you'd die for,
                       My children.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM

My daughter will be 16 months old this Friday. She was 4 lbs 8 oz 17" long when she was born at 34 weeks. She weighs 17.2 lbs and is 28.5" tall. Karli is not even on the growth charts for weight, and even if she had been full term she still wouldn't be on the charts. She is in the 3% for height.

My ped IS concerned about her weight. He has told me to give her anything that she wants...he doesn't care about "great nutrition" as of the moment as he just wants some weight on her. His recommendation was - peanut butter, chocolate, pedia-sure, tons of fried foods, juice and high fat foods. She loves fruits and veggies, but they go through her quickly... nasty diapers within an hour of eating them. The only things that I've found that don't kill her system are apples, bananas, and peaches. Unfotunately, they have very few calories. She won't drink milk, does not like pedia-sure,  or cheese.She does not take a bottle anymore either...

If you figure something out, let me know the secret! She burns off the calories as fast as I put them into her.

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Admin- International Adoption
JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

That's a stool sample right?  They tested enzymes and fats in the stool on his last set of labs.  It all came back fine.  Thanks though!

Oh, and thankfully my son has healthy families so I only had to pay $5 of this HUGE bill!  I don't know what I would do without it!

Quoting Korkor:

Ask them to check for an Amylase (Or other pancreatic enzyme) deficiency... I know a pancreatic stimulation is expensive but if you can get some level of Creon and him be fine then that would be worth it..

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

mother_of_JGM
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM

My best friends baby is 15 months an JUST NOW went from the 10 percentile to the 25th, and although she went through a lot as a new born she is perfectly healthy now.

in love     toddler boy     expecting boy

Bryan & Robin   Jack Gerard   William James
           8/16/08                      12/5/08                   4/3/10 or 4/14/10

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)