Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not qualified....*small update* *puppies are here!*

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 23 Replies

to  be a doggy OB!!!  My dog is having her puppies tonight most likely, maybe tomorrow.  I am pretty sure she is in the first stage of labor.  She has been pacing around the house, kind of doing laps, lol, and taking very short breaks to sit next to me and just stare into my eyes.  She is panting a lot more now as well. I feel so bad for her.  I have read up on the birthing process quite a bit and spoke with the vet for a while at her appt last week also.  I just am so scared I am not going to be able to help if she needs it.  So....if anyone has any words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it!!  Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

*update*  Well, after the initial moaning and all, she calmed down quite a bit and went to sleep.  She didnt sleep well though. She laid next to my side of the bed and wanted me to pet her almost all night.  Or to at least have my hand resting on her.  She is such a sweet girl!  So, no puppies yet!  I am leaving shortly to go to  school and I wont get back home until about 5- 5:30 tonight.  My DH is home all day though, so he may catch the brunt of the work, lol.  I will update as soon as I can.  OH, and my digital camera is broken (DH sat on it, lol)  but i will try to get some decent pics with my phone, so i can hopefully upload some!

*puppies are here!* 

well she went into labor at about 6 pm.  she has had 6 puppies so far.....unfortunately we have lost 2 of them.  The runt is still concerning me....it hasnt eaten yet and is just kind of cuddling with my momma dog.  So i am not sure what i need to do, if anything.    also, i do not know if the green discharge is worrisome or if it is only a concern if she hasnt had a pup after a while.  I have talked to my vet once, and have left him a message to call me about my other 2 questions i stated here.  if anyone can give me some pointers i would be very, very appreciative!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM

She can handle it. Dogs have been having puppies for centuries without help. :)

At least she isn't laying on you and in labor... My cat did that. At first I thought she was kneading me, then I realized she was contracting. LOL. I gently took her off and set her down, and she calmly went into my closet, climbed in a box and gave birth about 20 minutes later.

teacup714
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM

dogs have better instincts when it comes to giving birth than humans do.... i mean, we rely on epidurals and elective c-sections.... dogs just go for it.... best i can say, just keep her comfy... be he coach... just like you had when you had your child/ren.... put her water near her.... and keep warm blankets or towels near by when you see them start to come out... in fact... put them in the dryer now.... and just keep restarted untill you need them.... good luck to you and your girl...

Juliekat23
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Eww-My cat's water broke all over me and my bed!  It was gross.

OP-don't worry, just offer a soothing voice to keep her calm.  She will be fine! 

CafeMom Tickers

andreaRC
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM

good idea about the warm blankets!  her whelping box is in my laundry room, so it will be really convenient!  thanks!

Quoting teacup714:

dogs have better instincts when it comes to giving birth than humans do.... i mean, we rely on epidurals and elective c-sections.... dogs just go for it.... best i can say, just keep her comfy... be he coach... just like you had when you had your child/ren.... put her water near her.... and keep warm blankets or towels near by when you see them start to come out... in fact... put them in the dryer now.... and just keep restarted untill you need them.... good luck to you and your girl...

chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Have you set up anything for her to birth in? Not saying she'll actually USE it, but it might be comforting to her.

Good luck and I want to see some pics of puppies soon! LOL.  

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

andreaRC
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Quoting chairhead28:

Have you set up anything for her to birth in? Not saying she'll actually USE it, but it might be comforting to her.

Good luck and I want to see some pics of puppies soon! LOL.  

We made a whelping box for her and I have a lot of blankets in there to make it comfy.  Unfortunately she is more fond of being underneath my 7 y/o's bed.....yeah, i sanctioned that area off though, lol!  I hope she uses her whelping box, but i think we will have to try and coax her to use it....I really hope she agrees!!

shebearncub
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Keep us posted!

DoubleT
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM

CALL SOMEONE WHO IS EXPEREINED IN BREEDING DOGS!

There is SOOOOO much that can go wrong in whelping a litter, It's more than just sticking them in a room and coming back hours later.  You need to be there in case she has trouble, to possibly help if a pup is having trouble starting to breath, a whole list of things!!

I guess I'd say, DON"T leave her, keep the room as quiet as possible, kids out of the room, calm and quiet.  Is this her first litter? How many pups is she carrying? What is she and what is the dad (meaning is there a risk she could be having huge pups from a huge male?) Labor between pups can vary, but if she goes very long get her to a vet ASAP.  You'll also need a scale to weigh pups at birth then every day until they are two weeks old, to make sure they are gaining properly.  Watch her when she's cleaning them up, some dogs have sensitive tummies, and if they eat too many sacs can get the runs or throw up.  You can cut and tie the cords off if you want or if she's getting too rough and risking pulling their little guts out. They'll need to be dipped in iodine though if you cut them yourself, and don't use scissors, they'll slice it and risk bleeding more. You can keep warm blankets but don't over heat the pups as they can get too hot just as easy as too cold.  There's just soooo much more that can go wrong and that needs to be done, but it's can't be explained through an email, or online post.  Your best bet is to get someone over to help that knows what they are doing.

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM

wow. thats scary. i agree that you shouldnt leave her alone. my old neighbor did BYB (grr) and on her 3rd litter, i watched her give birth. the owner was there to pull off any sac that the mom-dog didnt want and when the pup was having a hard time breathing, she rubbed its chest/tummy to get it back to breathing.

i wouldnt get TOO stressed or scared about it. just keep calm and be there as her support system.

gl mama

Quoting DoubleT:

There is SOOOOO much that can go wrong in whelping a litter, It's more than just sticking them in a room and coming back hours later.  You need to be there in case she has trouble, to possibly help if a pup is having trouble starting to breath, a whole list of things!!

I guess I'd say, DON"T leave her, keep the room as quiet as possible, kids out of the room, calm and quiet.  Is this her first litter? How many pups is she carrying? What is she and what is the dad (meaning is there a risk she could be having huge pups from a huge male?) Labor between pups can vary, but if she goes very long get her to a vet ASAP.  You'll also need a scale to weigh pups at birth then every day until they are two weeks old, to make sure they are gaining properly.  Watch her when she's cleaning them up, some dogs have sensitive tummies, and if they eat too many sacs can get the runs or throw up.  You can cut and tie the cords off if you want or if she's getting too rough and risking pulling their little guts out. They'll need to be dipped in iodine though if you cut them yourself, and don't use scissors, they'll slice it and risk bleeding more. You can keep warm blankets but don't over heat the pups as they can get too hot just as easy as too cold.  There's just soooo much more that can go wrong and that needs to be done, but it's can't be explained through an email, or online post.  Your best bet is to get someone over to help that knows what they are doing.

andreaRC
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I am slightly confused why you think I would just stick her in a room and leave her for hours?

She is a Husky and the dad is a Husky mix.  Yes, this is her first litter.  And I do not know how many she is carrying.  She is not very large at all, she didnt even appear to be pregnant until about 1 1/2 weeks ago, so my assumption is that she is not carrying very many pups.

I appreciate your information and opinions, but I just want to make clear that I was not coming here to get a full explanation of all that could go wrong and what I need to do.  Just simply information that someone who has been thru this may have that I may not have found out already.  As I said before, I have been reading a lot of information and spent quite some time talking with the vet on the matter as well.  I am well aware many things can go wrong, and that is why I am nervous for her  and the pups. Unfortunately, I do not have an experienced breeder on speed dial, LOL.  My vet is on call 24 hours though....so that is of some relief!

Quoting DoubleT:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)