Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

Have any of you had food poision?? If so how long (after you eat the "tainted" food does it take to hit?) what are the symtoms????ugh. Can it make you sick in like 1-2 hours??

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM

IDK but http://www.webmd.com/ is a good place for medical info. Here is a bump!

Food Poisoning and Safe Food Handling - Symptoms

The symptoms of food poisoning usually affect your stomach and intestines (gastrointestinal tract).

• The first symptom is usually diarrhea.
  • Other symptoms include feeling sick to your stomach (nausea), vomiting, and abdominal cramps.

The time it takes for symptoms to appear, how severe the symptoms are, and how long the symptoms last depend on the infecting organism, your age, and your overall health.

The very young and the very old may be most affected by food poisoning. Their symptoms may last longer, and even the types of food poisoning that are typically mild can be life-threatening. This may also be true for pregnant women and people with impaired immune systems, such as those with long-lasting (chronic) illnesses.

Not all food poisoning results in diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal cramps. Some types of food poisoning have different or more severe symptoms. These can include weakness, numbness, confusion, or tingling of the face, hands, and feet.

Follow the links below for more information, including specific symptoms for each organism:

Gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea and vomiting, can also be caused by organisms that are not necessarily spread through food. These organisms are mainly spread through water or personal contact. Conditions caused by these organisms include infection with the parasite Giardia lamblia.

Nicole88
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I heard for it to be food poison it will hit in about an hour. Good luck!

teacup714
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM

yes is can hit that quickly... but.... so can a stomach virus..... find out who else ate what you ate, and see if they were sick too.. .if no one else it sick, then you prolly have a virus....  and then, people you came into contact with might get sick in a day or so....

amayabrianna
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM

It can take from 30 min to sometimes 24 hours.   But generally it is 2-6 hours.

Possible symptoms include:

• Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea (may be bloody)
  • Fever and chills
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Weakness (may be serious and lead to respiratory arrest, as in the case of botulism)

airforewifenmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Quoting teacup714:

yes is can hit that quickly... but.... so can a stomach virus..... find out who else ate what you ate, and see if they were sick too.. .if no one else it sick, then you prolly have a virus....  and then, people you came into contact with might get sick in a day or so....

My brother and dh feel sickly.........we ate sushi.........so it could be a LOT of things..........omg. I am very dizzy and nauseous.

elly25
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I have had it more then once in my life time.Every time that I eat at Home Town Buffet or Jack in The Box.I get food poisoning.I have diarrhea,vomiting (or I feel like I'm going to all the time),and other things.Cold sweats that are followed by hot sweats.I feel like I'm going to pass out sometimes.Very weak.My tummy is all messed up and I'm in pain (bad cramps).I've went to the doctor before for it and that is what I was told that I had.For me it hits me about 30 minutes after I eat there or eat other things that have made me so sick.

owls

culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Only once and it happened apprx six hours after I ate the food, I had stomach cramps which turned into (you know what) and vomiting at the same time.  It was horrible and I went to the doctor because it really scared me and sure enough it was food poisoning, this is when I learned that literally two people can eat exactly the same thing and it may not effect the other person.  gosh it was such a horrible experience but all you can do is just rest and when you regain your strengh to eat again you have to start off with the BRAT diet. Banannas, Rice, applesauce and dried toast, and its not wise to drink anything with caffeine due to it might irritate your tummy.

teacup714
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM

sushi... ok.. food poisoning... you ahve to be careful with sushi..... only eat it on mondays ..... fish is freshest then (the fisherman come home sunday nights and sell their fish in the overnight hours in most places.... if you live inland, it may take a or so... but if its properly stored during transport, it will be ok thru wed or thurs..... i will never eat sushi... never have.... but i do know about fish being fresh....  feel better... best advice i can give you... keep a bucket near by, and plenty of water/ or even gatorade.... stay hydrated.... nibble some saltines....

LaceyRK
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:59 PM

This.

And also wanted to add, but it may sound insane...drink a shot glass full of apple cider vinegar. It will kill bacteria and virus'. I have done this a couple different times, and it works. It tastes disgusting, so be ready with a "chaser" of juice or something. Hope you guys all feel better soon.

Quoting amayabrianna:

It can take from 30 min to sometimes 24 hours.   But generally it is 2-6 hours.

Possible symptoms include:

• Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea (may be bloody)
  • Fever and chills
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Weakness (may be serious and lead to respiratory arrest, as in the case of botulism)

dannysgirl77
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Sweetie, drink some water, and get to a hospital!!!

Quoting airforewifenmom:

Quoting teacup714:

My brother and dh feel sickly.........we ate sushi.........so it could be a LOT of things..........omg. I am very dizzy and nauseous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)