Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 year old sleep problems

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM
  • 15 Replies

Anyone have any sleep tips for a 2 year old?!

Last night we put him to bed at 9pm, after putting him back in bed 12 times, and even trying his sisters crib. We had to let him sleep in our room!

Tonight he was put to bed at 9pm.. And just now we heard a HUGE bang... he pulled the TV off his dresser and snapped the cord, now the TV is broken (and we JUST bought a ps2 for it or chirstmas) He is now in his sisters crib SCREAMING bloody murder!

I just dont know what to do...

He sleeps in a room with his three nephews we have custody of, in a toddler bed.

His sister is 8 months old and sleeps with us sill. So as of now, he is in her room, in her crib. But he can climb out of it.

there is only a certain amount of time/things I can do with him to put him to bed with 4 other kiddos... ya know?

Baths get him hyper..

I sat in his room last night for an hour and a half. ALL the other boys were sound asleep... he was not!

Proud 20 year old, married, SAHM, to four beautiful boys, and one amazing little girl!!

I'm a breast feeding, cosleeping, babywearing, vax giving, circumcising, disposiable diapering, boo boo kissing, dinner cooking, coupon clipping, girl ear piercing mom and PROUD of it!! 
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Ahhhh, I am sorry I would try to give my little man some warm milk and rocking with him, I hope this suggestion makes your little man sleepy.

AngelicaRenee
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM

What I do with my son is I sit beside his bed until he falls asleep. usually within a few minutes. I don't really know what else to tell you though. good luck

kcook55
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Quoting culinaryqueen:

Ahhhh, I am sorry I would try to give my little man some warm milk and rocking with him, I hope this suggestion makes your little man sleepy.

warm milk makes my kids sleepy and really you need to stick with one thing and no matter how much hes screams/crys you need to stick with it

Amanda_Leigh
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM

YIkes! He will grow out of that... eventually. But maybe you should try laying down with him. Thats the only way I can get my almost 3 year old to nap...

If he is on a big boy bed, lay down with him till he falls asleep, then get up and go about your buisness. If he isn't on a big boy bed... you can still lay down w/ him on a toddler bed, or next to him on the floor... but maybe its time to give him a big boy bed if you haven't all ready.

Good luck!

Billabongurl7
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM

try giving him a warm bath too right before bed....

aviatorswife
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM

When you figure it out, pass the advice on to me. My son has been doing this the last 3 1/2 weeks. I've tried everything. I started sitting outside his room so that I could put him back to bed right away when he opened his door. I would be there for 3 or more hours some nights. I did the whole supernanny thing of telling him the first time that it was time for bed, goodnight, the second time just goodnight and then all times after that just putting him to bed with no words. this technique has still not worked. I shortened naps, stopped naps and altered bedtimes,, but haven't found the right fix yet.  I let my son go one night just to see what he was attempting to do and he just fell asleep in his doorway, i put him back to bed and he was in the floor again the next morning. Door open with his head on the hallway carpet. I have no idea what to do, but you are not alone.

Skyecaitlin88
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Is your son twin of Ethan?! lol

Quoting aviatorswife:

When you figure it out, pass the advice on to me. My son has been doing this the last 3 1/2 weeks. I've tried everything. I started sitting outside his room so that I could put him back to bed right away when he opened his door. I would be there for 3 or more hours some nights. I did the whole supernanny thing of telling him the first time that it was time for bed, goodnight, the second time just goodnight and then all times after that just putting him to bed with no words. this technique has still not worked. I shortened naps, stopped naps and altered bedtimes,, but haven't found the right fix yet.  I let my son go one night just to see what he was attempting to do and he just fell asleep in his doorway, i put him back to bed and he was in the floor again the next morning. Door open with his head on the hallway carpet. I have no idea what to do, but you are not alone.

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I might get bashed for this but it's the only thing that works on my 2 year old.  We sat down with him before bedtime and explained to him that he needs to stay in his room at bedtime.  He can get up and play until he gets sleepy, he just has to be in his room.  We showed him the door knob cover we bought and told him that if he did not listen we would put it on and he would not be able to open his door.  Then we followed through. Yeah, not pleasent.  The first time he came out of his room he got a warning.  The next time the lock went on the door but it stayed open.  The third time the door was closed and locked for a few minutes.  Then we would remind him that if he wanted his door open he needed to stay in his room and started all over again. 

I should mention this came after spending 5 hours a night putting him back in bed over and over again for a month.  He was so exhausted he was unbearable during the day and he wouldn't nap either because he was so tired.  He was only sleeping from 1 am to 7 am.  Yeah, not nearly enough when he normally sleeps from 9 pm to 8 am and then takes a 2-3 hour nap!  We tried laying with him or sitting next to his bed but he would hit us, kick us, etc.  He was just generally mean to us.  He has a night light and music to listen to and books in his bed to read.  We have a bedtime routine we started with him when he was born that we still follow (modified a little of course).

After a week of closing his door every third time he came out he stopped coming out after two times.  Just short of getting the door closed and locked.  Eventually it stopped altogether.  We haven't had to do this in a long time and I am VERY thankful!

BTW we always take the lock off after he is asleep no matter what.

Mommy2Allanah
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM

OMG! I had the same problems when my dd turned two in October. She was still in her crib at the time and absolutely hated it. She was also waking up with night terrors and always talking about scary monsters in her closet even when we closed the closet door. So, we got her a twin daybed, a guard rail, and new sheets and she loves it. We also got a small tv and dvd player for her to watch before lights out. She will usually watch Dora or something and fall asleep before we even come back in her room to cut the tv off. Its great. I know some people don't approve of tv's in young children's rooms, but it was the final straw and is now what works best for us.

Skyecaitlin88
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I would CNPLETLY do this!!!

a few problems tho.

there are 3 other kids that are in his room. He would wake them all!

There is also no door on his room. We had a huge problem with pinched fingers in the door when we first got the other boys... Daddys solution, put a towel over the door! WORKED wonders!! Till DADDY shut it forgetting the towel was there and the hinges ripped off..

He also, when left in his room. tears the drawers and clothes out of the dressers.. 4 boys.. 3 full dressers= BIG mess

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I might get bashed for this but it's the only thing that works on my 2 year old.  We sat down with him before bedtime and explained to him that he needs to stay in his room at bedtime.  He can get up and play until he gets sleepy, he just has to be in his room.  We showed him the door knob cover we bought and told him that if he did not listen we would put it on and he would not be able to open his door.  Then we followed through. Yeah, not pleasent.  The first time he came out of his room he got a warning.  The next time the lock went on the door but it stayed open.  The third time the door was closed and locked for a few minutes.  Then we would remind him that if he wanted his door open he needed to stay in his room and started all over again. 

I should mention this came after spending 5 hours a night putting him back in bed over and over again for a month.  He was so exhausted he was unbearable during the day and he wouldn't nap either because he was so tired.  He was only sleeping from 1 am to 7 am.  Yeah, not nearly enough when he normally sleeps from 9 pm to 8 am and then takes a 2-3 hour nap!  We tried laying with him or sitting next to his bed but he would hit us, kick us, etc.  He was just generally mean to us.  He has a night light and music to listen to and books in his bed to read.  We have a bedtime routine we started with him when he was born that we still follow (modified a little of course).

After a week of closing his door every third time he came out he stopped coming out after two times.  Just short of getting the door closed and locked.  Eventually it stopped altogether.  We haven't had to do this in a long time and I am VERY thankful!

BTW we always take the lock off after he is asleep no matter what.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)