Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Washington DC Council approves same sex marriage!!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM
  • 4 Replies

YAY!!!!  One step closer to equality!!

District approves same-sex marriage

Council's 11-2 vote is 1st of 3 steps; foes see little chance of reversal

Video
The D.C. Council voted Tuesday to legalize same-sex marriage, bringing the District closer to allowing gay couples to marry. The council passed the bill 11 to 2, with Council members Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) and Yvette M. Alexander (D-Ward 7) dissenting. It still must take a second vote in two weeks before the measure can go to Mayor Adrian M.Fenty (D), who has indicated that he will sign it.

Survey
Do you agree with the D.C. council's decision?
Yes
No
Not sure
This is a non-scientific user poll. Results are not statistically valid and cannot be assumed to reflect the views of Washington Post users as a group or the general population.
TOOLBOX
COMMENT
219 Comments  |  View All » 
POST A COMMENT
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Log in | Register
We've made some updates to washingtonpost.com's Groups, MyPost and comment pages. We need you to verify your MyPost ID by logging in before you can post to the new pages. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Your browser's settings may be preventing you from commenting on and viewing comments about this item. See instructions for fixing the problem.
Discussion Policy
Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
Who's Blogging

Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The D.C. Council voted overwhelming Tuesday to legalize same-sex marriage in the District, a key step in a process that could enable gay couples to marry in the nation's capital by the spring.

After months of debate, the council passed the legislation 11 to 2 after a lively discussion that elicited passionate statements from members about the historical significance of their action.

A second vote, scheduled in two weeks, is necessary for the measure to become law. The bill's sponsors said final passage is almost certain, although the bill could be tweaked. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) has said he will sign it.

The bill will also be subject to a 30-day congressional review period, but officials in both parties said it is unlikely that the Democratic majority in Congress will block the measure. The District would join New Hampshire, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and Massachusetts in allowing same-sex marriage. It would be the first jurisdiction in the region to do so.

"This is a culmination of the entire gay rights movement," Richard J. Rosendall, a past president of the Gay and Lesbian Activist Alliance of Washington D.C., said after the vote. "We have spent many, many, years working toward this."

Same-sex marriage opponents, including the Archdiocese of Washington and dozens of other religious leaders, conceded that they are running out of time and options to stop the bill from becoming law.

"In a sense, they won two or three years ago . . . behind the scenes," said Bishop Harry Jackson, pastor of Hope Christian Church in Beltsville and one of the most visible opponents of the bill. He said that only Congress or the courts can slow the city's march toward legalizing same-sex marriage. "Our only options are legal."

Council members and gay rights activists hailed the vote as the end of a decades-long struggle that started in 1975, when then-council member Arrington Dixon (D) first proposed legalizing same-sex marriage in the District.

That proposal was shouted down by city religious leaders, council members said, but in the meantime, city leaders have been laying the groundwork for Tuesday's decision, including authorizing domestic partnerships in 1992, repealing a ban on sodomy a year later and passing a bill this year to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

"It really speaks to the long and rich tradition of tolerance and acceptance that does make up the sense of place in the District of Columbia," council member David A. Catania (I-At Large), the chief sponsor of the bill, said before the vote.

ad_icon

But the council's action did little to bridge divisions in the city over the legislation.

The two council members who represent majority-black wards east of the Anacostia River -- Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) and Yvette M. Alexander (D-Ward 7) -- voted against the legislation.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
HeatherMae55
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:40 PM

I am very happy they are doing this!!   Homosexual couples deserve the same rights as the rest of us.. It's a damn shame they have to vote on it anyway.

But, I'm sure other people here will think "what is the world coming to?"  **Rolls eyes**

Blame Straight People   prochoice.jpg pro choice image by thekiltedyaksmendefault.jpg leagalize dont pentalize marijuana image by earlsworld70117

Lydiasmama354
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM

clappingYeah!!!  Hopefully it passes, it's about time!!!! 

feeding babytoddler girlin lovewearing crown

Loving wife to Chintan, Adored SAHM mommy to Lydia and Lucy, Addicted to my family, and  Follower of Christ

greenie63
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM

true, it's sad some don't understand that it's a another step in basic human rights. Religion isn't an argument to support their claims. Rolling my eyeballs too.

Quoting HeatherMae55:

I am very happy they are doing this!!   Homosexual couples deserve the same rights as the rest of us.. It's a damn shame they have to vote on it anyway.

But, I'm sure other people here will think "what is the world coming to?"  **Rolls eyes**

heathermichelle
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I am really glad to see this. They deserve the same rights as we do. I would be glad when every state approves it. It may take awhile, it may not happen ever but I really hope it does

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)