Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

1 year old broke his leg

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM
  • 16 Replies

I took my 1 year old to his pediatrician yesterday only to find out that my son needed to go to childrens hospital to have some xrays done of his leg. The problem was that my son was screaming all night that night and into the morning and he would not put any pressure on his left leg. Anyway, after the xrays they told us to go wait back in the waiting room for the results of the xray. The lady came back and said my son has a tibia fracture in his left leg. Its actually a proximal tibia fracture which means the break is in the upper part of his tibia right under the knee. They sent us to the er in which case they put his leg in a splint and he'll keep that on until Friday when he goes to see a pediatric orthopedic doctor and they will take some more images of his leg and cast it. My baby is having such a rough time right now, he's only been walking for a few months and now he can't walk for a while. I am sad, I don't like seeing my baby like this. Has anyone went through a broken bone with their child? What was it like for them? I am just sad and need to talk. The whole thing happened because he fell on the wet floor and hit the floor pretty hard. I just wish this didn't happen to him. I love my little boy so much.

by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
djemMama0725
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:27 AM

poor lil guy.....how did he break it???

" There will be an answer, let it be......" --Paul McCartney

allurasmamma
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Awe mamma. I feel so bad for him and you are prob. a mess. I have not went thru this yet...knock on wood....i would have a hard time with it too. I hope everything goes ok and he and you feel betters.

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Oh mama I know what you're going through. My son broke his arm when he was 1. He actually managed to break it by the elbow and turn the peice of bone around.. he had to have surgery to fix it.

It's awful, All I can say is if you have a rocking chair, use it. I sat in mine every day with my son and that made him feel better. Give him lots of hugs and kisses. He shouldn't be in the cast for too long, my son was in his for about 2 months and that was mainly because of how severe his break was.

babipeanut
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:34 AM

It happens -don't beat yourself up!!  My ss broke his arm at 2 and was just as energetic and rotten as before, My oldest broke his elbow at 8 yr old and dislocated it --so into surgery he went. The next day he was himself just with a cast ( had to do rehab after cast came off though) he also broke his thumb later. My daughter broke her elbow and thumb later also. 

Kids get hurt --there is nothing you can do to protect them all the time.  Luckily my 4yr hasn't broke anything yet. It is just a matter of time though as he is a daredevil.

MyLittleJoshua
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:39 AM

The er doctor and the nurse treated me like crap, they gave me the cold shoulder. They treated like my son was not supposed to be there with a broken bone, they were rude. I didn't mean for this to happen, I love my 2 boys and wouldn't do anything to hurt them. Did you get treated like that with your kids?

Quoting babipeanut:

It happens -don't beat yourself up!!  My ss broke his arm at 2 and was just as energetic and rotten as before, My oldest broke his elbow at 8 yr old and dislocated it --so into surgery he went. The next day he was himself just with a cast ( had to do rehab after cast came off though) he also broke his thumb later. My daughter broke her elbow and thumb later also. 

Kids get hurt --there is nothing you can do to protect them all the time.  Luckily my 4yr hasn't broke anything yet. It is just a matter of time though as he is a daredevil.

nemiller
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM

i'm sorry, mama.  my son has never broken anything... or really been seriously hurt at all, actually.  i hope your little guy heals quickly.

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Quoting MyLittleJoshua:

The er doctor and the nurse treated me like crap, they gave me the cold shoulder. They treated like my son was not supposed to be there with a broken bone, they were rude. I didn't mean for this to happen, I love my 2 boys and wouldn't do anything to hurt them. Did you get treated like that with your kids?

Quoting babipeanut:

It has never happened to my kids but as far as the dr's go . I 've been to the Er with my ds when he got a cut and needed stitches and the dr was a complete asshole made it even worse. It's ok its not your fault don't blame yourself hope your baby gets well soon.

JustMe0326
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Been there!! My son broke his leg when he was 1...same thing...tibia fracture...and the dr also called it a "toddler fracture" so DON'T feel bad! It's so common apparently!

My son was at his learning center and apparently climbed on top of one of those foam blocks...he was 12 in off the ground. He jumped off and landed with a "twist" just the right way enough to break it. The center called me and I was there in 5 minutes but he wasn't even crying! He actually walked over to me but I did take him to the hospital anyways. You can imagine my surprise when the dr showed me the xray and where it was broke.

They put a cast on him (a full leg cast, because if they only did a lower leg cast he would be able to slide his leg out too easily) and it had to stay for four weeks. He adapted to it soooo well! You will be amazed at how well he will do. The dr said that it's actually easier on small children to break bones like this because they haven't "lived their whole lives only knowing how to walk like we do". He's just learning how to walk...I guarentee he will be crawling on it by the end of the week and walking on it a few days later.

The only thing with my poor baby is that when we went to get the cast off we realized he's allergic to the cloth material they put under the cast! His entire leg was purple. My tough little man never acted like it bothered him though...

It will be okay. Just be prepared though...in a year or two you will always know when it's going to rain because he will complain that his leg hurts. Don't worry and rush him to the dr every time like I did LOL Just keep some motrin on hand. :)

BrTupac
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I'm amazed that my 2 year old has never broken anything.  He could have used stitches a few times but no breaks.  My best friend has a son who broke his leg at around 4-6months.  It's a long aggravating story but he had a cast on for a few months.  It happens and all you can do is love him up.  I've heard that even if it impedes his walking right now that he will catch up as soon as the cast is taken off.  Kids are so resilient.

Bennett121
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Awww, poor little guy. Just ignore the butt heads that were rude to you. It's easy to pass judgment apparently.

Broken bones happen, you will both get through this. Healing should be rather quick at the rate they grow at that age so maybe the cast will come off quickly.

Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN