Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

allergic to snow

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM
  • 23 Replies

2008 when my dd broke out after playing in the snow and we found out she is allergic to cold....that is hives and her swollen ankle.  This is rare, most people are not allergic to cold.  We have to dress her really warm and let her only play for a little bit and be prepared with benadryl if she plays in the cold.  I called the dr.  They didn't believe me so I took pictures to prove it.  It went away with benadryl.  So if you see this with your children call your dr but be prepared they might not believe you.  LOL

this foot was so swollen it was shiny...

Edited to correct spelling error in title.  LOL

by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kk_bella
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Wow, that's very different. Poor baby, I hope is okay now.

cypris420
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I've read something about this condition before.  I'm sorry your little one has to deal with this.  :-(

ajjs1972
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM

sure she isn't allergic to socks? ( the material, that is?) were the shoes, socks or boots new? could even be frost bite.

i have never heard of being allergic to snow. if she is, she should be allergic to water as well.

good luck with that momma!

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Yes she is okay, thank you.  We just have to be careful when we let her play in the cold.  I'd never heard of it until it happened to her.  It freaked me out.  I panicked and the dr office didn't even want me to bring her in.  The nurse acted like I was being stupid.  We have since changed drs...LOL.  This cold weather made me think I need to get prepared for snow and let her K teacher know what to watch for.  

lizmarie1975
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM

From MayoClinic.com

Quote:

As strange as it sounds, it's possible to have an allergy to cold temperatures. Doctors refer to this as cold urticaria (ur-tih-KAR-ee-uh). It's also sometimes called cold allergy or cold hives. With cold urticaria, exposure to cold temperatures causes redness, itching, swelling and hives on your skin. As much as possible, people with cold urticaria should avoid exposure to cold air as well as cold water. For example, swimming in cold water is the most common cause of a severe, whole-body reaction — leading to fainting, shock and even death.

If you think you have cold urticaria, consult your doctor. Treatment for cold urticaria may include antihistamines taken before cold exposure.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM

No not the socks or anything were new.  She had on something she'd worn before.  And if faded with benadryl.  It was so freaky. It is a real condition called:

Quote:

Cold Urticaria (essentially meaning "cold hives") is an allergy where hives (urticaria) or large red welts form on the skin after exposure to a cold stimulus. The welts are usually itchy and often the hands and feet will become itchy and swollen as well. Hives vary in size from about the size of a pencil eraser to as big as a quarter or larger.

Quoting ajjs1972:

sure she isn't allergic to socks? ( the material, that is?) were the shoes, socks or boots new? could even be frost bite.

i have never heard of being allergic to snow. if she is, she should be allergic to water as well.

good luck with that momma!

serioussifL
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:25 AM

omg it happens to other people! Im not alone!! Ever since I was younger, if I spend time out in the cold, I break out in hives and swell up like crazy! People dont believe me until they see it. It even happened one summer when I jumped in the cold ocean water. I went out last night to bring in the trash can... my fingers swelled up so bad I couldnt bend them. It happens to my face too.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

Cheribomb
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM

My sister has this too!  She never had any symptoms until her early 20's. She fell in Lk Superior (EXTREMELY cold lake) & suffered from hypothermia.  Ever since they she breaks out & has bad allergic reactions  when she is out in the cold, which isn't that easy since she lives in Northern Minnesota.  She carries epi-pens just in case.  She also takes a daily antihistamine in the winter.  My hubby always teases her, if she talks about ANYTHING like pencils, my hubby will ask her if she is allergic to it.  Its sort what the family teases her about. LoL

jcsg
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I use to have a neighbor who was allergic to the cold too.   She couldn't even go swimming in her pool during the summer if the water was too cold.  I remember her whole body breaking out in hives.  Her's was so bad that Benedryl didn't even help.  She had to keep a perscription medicine on hand just in case.  Because it would take days for the hives to go away.  

mae_01_sw
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Poor thing! Sorry she has to deal with this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN