Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wish upon a hero....

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM
  • 51 Replies

Has anybody looked through the wants at Wish Upon a Hero website and change their mind about donating?  I guess am a skeptic but I thought how nice it would be to help out a family this Christmas that was in real need....I heard about that website on here tonight so I decided to go check it out.  Well once I got on there I almost immediatly changed my mind. I guess I thought it would be families TRUELY in need but there are too many people asking for superficial things that it made it hard for me to actually believe any of the stories. People are asking for tickets to shows, 40in plasma tvs, & grooming supplies for their cats!! After reading all these wants I have a hard time believing the rest of them! Its really sad because I am sure there are many families thats stories are real but its terrible that I can't tell. I would HATE if I donated my hard earned money to somebody that doesn't really need it!! Anybody feel this way too? Did you donate to somebody on the website? Are you just hoping they were telling the truth?

by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pirate_wife
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I have helped with this website and I have also posted on this website... The sad thing is that when we posted it was for my mother... My sister had leukemia and all her money was going toward medical bills and transportation expenses and my father left and she was losing her house... I was so angry that there were people posting about needing massages or ipods.... But then again, what can you do?? The people that I have helped with have been little things and I do hope that they are real. You just have to believe in your heart.

wicked_tink
by goofy goober on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

well i guess im a hardheaded type of person lol.i chose two moms on here to give them a lil something.i give people the benefit of the doubt.i went on wish upon a hero just for help with mattresss.i guess they are not able to.i dont mindhelping a mom out.we all gotta help somehow even if it starts with a dollar.

CallieLynsMommy
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I didn't donate on Wish Upon a Hero but I did 'adopt" a mom's kids here on CM. You just hope that they tell the truth. I believe my family and hope the girls' like their gifts. I believe in karma, so if someone lies I think it comes back to them...that's just me though.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Last year I was scammed by a "mother" here on cafemom.... she started asking odd questions about myself and my family, and shortly after I sent the package full of toys and gifts to her she deleted her account here.

I only donate locally now.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

NESmith63
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:09 PM

how did you pick a family to adopt??

Quoting CallieLynsMommy:

I didn't donate on Wish Upon a Hero but I did 'adopt" a mom's kids here on CM. You just hope that they tell the truth. I believe my family and hope the girls' like their gifts. I believe in karma, so if someone lies I think it comes back to them...that's just me though.

luv_my_xiya
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM

yea, i have sent people stuff on there, and they didnt even say thank you...so yea, I really dont go on there anymore 

~*:*~ In need of unique jewelry? Check out www.missbfab.com ~*:*~

De_Chick
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I'm a donator on Wish upon a hero and I agree some of the posts are relatively greedy but there are many more that are genuinely people in need of helping. I try to look for the posters there who are asking for more general items like that they just need help getitng their child something for Christmas etc. and not the ones who are asking for big ticket items etc. I think there is always a possibility that someone doesn't really need the help but I stand firm in my beliefs that most people are honestly in need of help when they ask for it. One of the good things about that site is you can pretty much pick and choose who you want to help and you can probably tell from their past posts if they are genuine or not. Don't let a few greedy posts sway you from helping out others who really are in need.

wicked_tink
by goofy goober on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Last year I was scammed by a "mother" here on cafemom.... she started asking odd questions about myself and my family, and shortly after I sent the package full of toys and gifts to her she deleted her account here.

I only donate locally now.

im so sorry you went through this.i cant stand a scammer or a liar.they take your kindness for weakness.i hope one day she will have what is coming to her.and i mean karma lol.

shygurl3166
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM

WUAH is a place where you CAN wish for anything.. big or small... things that  seem impossible or things you NEED. When you go to make a wish there are two ways to do it.. a WANT wish or a NEED wish.

I WANT to meet Madonna...

I NEED food for my family.

People who wish for expensive things are just making their wishes known.. They don't really expect it. After my mom left my dad, my dad was in such a bad spot.. so depressed.. So I posted a wish on there for someone to help me get him up here for a visit. (my dad is the most giving man ever.. never thinks about himself, will put himself in teh hole for those he loves) and someone     replied they had frequent flier miles they'd use to get my dad a ticket. I was sooo happy. (my dad decided not to come) but the fact that someone was going to help.. blew  my mind. I never expected someone to grant that wish.. I just wanted someone to know.

There's a way on  there to sort the wishes by wants and needs. Try that and that'll get rid of a lot of the wishes that are material. Please don't just toss WUAH aside... Its an amazing site.. and its helped so many. (I  asked for a few outfits for my son and a lady sent a HUGE box...with pj's shoes.. clothes...)

CallieLynsMommy
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I joined the "Moms That Can't Afford Christmas" group here on CM. I chose a family via that group. I get a discount on Disney items because I work for Disney, so I was able to get the girls' some princess crowns and other items for a great deal!

That group is good for finding a family, the one I chose actually lives in FL too. I shipped out their package last Tuesday and they got it on Wednesday!

Quoting NESmith63:

how did you pick a family to adopt??

Quoting CallieLynsMommy:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)