Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

gag reflex and brushing your teeth

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM
  • 10 Replies

If you have a bad gag reflex how do you brush the back of your tongue without puking?

by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM

It's hard for me to brush my back teeth because of my gag reflex.  I still do it (LOL!), and I also brush my tongue, but I don't brush the very back of my tongue. 

exceptalilfish
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:39 AM

i usually figure i can gag at least 3 times without puking so i try to get my tongue as fast as i can. it is very hard for me i have a terrible gag reflex, like i can barely use a straw!

1busymomma03
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I have a very bad gag reflex. I always gag when I'm brushing my tongue and sometimes my very back teeth. The only time the gagging actually made me puke was when I was pregnant though.

MamaBloom777
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I have a really bad gag reflex...but making an effort to breathe through your nose while brushing helps some!  Its hard...and doesn't completely stop it, but it helps some!

MzSeXyC
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:42 AM

i always gag when brushing my tongue.

i just do it really quick! lol. ill gag a couple times. i usually dont puke though. 

DanielleK21
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM

The only time I have ever had a gag reflex while brushing my teeth was when I was preggo, yeah well guess what? My gag reflex started a couple days ago. I just got put on nuvaring but I have been on antibiotics this month for a sinus infection so 2 strikes against me. Im hoping Im not preggo, but if I am it wouldn't even show up on a test for another week. I guess I will find out then.  

I AM A SAHM OF 2 WONDERFUL CHILDREN. LOVING WIFE OF 2 YEARS. I BREASTFED SWITCHED TO FORMULA WITH BOTH OF MY CHILDREN. I BELIEVE IN CRYING IT OUT AFTER 2 MONTHS OLD, SPANKINGS WHEN NEEDED, I LET MY FAMILY EAT JUNK FOOD IF THEY WANT IT, GAVE MY DD'S WHOLE HALLOWEEN, AND EASTER BASKET TO HER TILL THE CANDY WAS GONE. I AM A SMOKER TRYING TO QUIT, DRINK ON OCCASION, LOVE TO COOK, MY HOME IS ALWAYS CLEAN "IF" SOME ONE SHOWS UP, NEVER LATE TO ANYTHING KIND OF MOMMY AND WIFE. ITS JUST WHO I AM.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Anyone try a tongue scraper instead ?

serioussifL
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I got me a tongue scraper. It looks gnarly, but it works! Sometimes I still gag on it, but the trick is to think about something other than what you are doing. I also dont have a problem with gargling, so I gargle listerine also.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 2:10 PM

i struggle with it daily, especially now.

CafeMom Tickers

gulfcoastmom4
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Its nice to know it isn't just me who has this problem. It sucks cause I feel like I can't get it clean enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN