Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do low income kids only get free HeadStart Program?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM
  • 181 Replies

Why does a child from a low income family get to go to a head start program free and a child from a middle class family doesn't? Doesn't each child deserve the same opportunity? Why is this program designed specifically and exclusively for low income students are not fair to families that do not qualify??

Some low income mom that I know are  doing nothing all day:( NO work/school) and why they get free Headstart and moms like me that really need it, dont qualified.

by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kk_bella
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM

We just had a debate about this a few weeks ago and, apparently, head start is not only for low income people.

Also, there will be much disagreement on whether or not headstart provides any real 'opportunity'.

To answer your question, the poor qualify for free daycare because, well, they're poor.

My only issue is that I think the income requirements are ludicrous (for most public assistance programs, I am not speaking of Head Start in general).

However, I simply do not understand why people question this: they QUALIFY for a program to help people with low incomes. If you don't have a 'low income', you don't need the help as badly as they do. There are only so many resources available. We have to provide them to people who need them the most and I would say that someone who is dirt poor and needs to work needs low cost daycare moreso than the average, middle class American who can't afford childcare because they live outside of their means.

avegajenkins
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM

My fam knows plenty of ppl in the head start programs and they only give it free in NYC if u show proof of what u are doing all day like pay stubs or letter from your college stating u r enrolled  

for sure thats how it goes down in nyc i dont know about other places

We Love OUR DADDY he is our HERO...ARMY WIFE & Mom of 3.. Missing our home..NYC

army

Kizbee
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Because it's generally the low income kids that need an early start in their education, so they are less likely to fall through the cracks when they are older.  It would be awesome if all kids could go to pre-school for free, but that would mean paying even more taxes to fund it.

AlyssaRob1416

Middle class kids that are high risk also qualify for head start. Since my baby was born so prematurely, has developmental delays and is followed by early intervention, she will more than likely qualify for headstart as they take over at about age three and early intervention drops off.

Humboldt0608

I personally think that it's a great program. Even children from low income families (there are a lot of them) need to send their children to preschool and preschool IS NOT CHEAP. Although we qualify for free Head Start we opting to send Cameron to a preschool that we pay for because we can afford to do it and budget our money accordingly so that we don't take up space in a program for people who need it.

Also, whether or not the mother works doesn't really apply. Some parents choose to let their children go to preschool to prepare them for a classroom environment, structure and work on their socialization skills. I'm a stay at home mother and plan to send Cameron to preschool a year before kindergarten so that he's able to learn these skills.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I used to think a program like that in my area was a great idea, couldn't wait to send my kid.

Then I worked in one. It was a JOKE. Those kids didn't learn anything. Most of the ones going into kindergarten didn't know the alphabet or how to count past 10. It was sad. It was basically free babysitting service.

We almost DID send Maddie though, for lack of a better option. But it no longer exists.

mommy2angels000
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM

If you do not qualify for income reasons then it is assumed you can afford to pay for pre-school. I'm not sure what a low income mom that doesn't work yet her kid goes to headstart has to do with anything. It's not a daycare, it's purpose is to help children LEARN.

mommy2angels000
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM

It sounds like YOUR headstart sucked. Just like with any school, not all of them do.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris:

I used to think a program like that in my area was a great idea, couldn't wait to send my kid.

Then I worked in one. It was a JOKE. Those kids didn't learn anything. Most of the ones going into kindergarten didn't know the alphabet or how to count past 10. It was sad. It was basically free babysitting service.

We almost DID send Maddie though, for lack of a better option. But it no longer exists.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Which is why I didn't say all of them sucked.

Quoting mommy2angels000:

It sounds like YOUR headstart sucked. Just like with any school, not all of them do.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris:

savannahnhi
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM

the head start in my Town is a big joke.  the parents have told me they send their kids there to get them out of their hair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN