Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I Need Advice

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 8:02 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hello I am new to the CafeMom and I need a little advice on potty training if anybody has any ideas please let me know. ThanksInnocent
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingmax
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 10:05 PM
that makes 2 of us!
missadwn
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM
Ditto!
MamaOfGirls
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM
I put one of the little potties in the living room in front of the TV.  I let my 2 year old run around in her shirt and panties and she has been sitting on it while watching cartoons.  She's been going all by herself!  She averages only 3 accidents per day.  It seems to help having the potty in sight.  When I was taking her to the bathroom it was more like "out of sight, out of mind".
4myPrince
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 10:19 PM
I put cheerios in the toliet andd had my son aim for the target.  he thought it was a great game.
fivetolove
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM
as a mother of three and one more on the way my best advise is this. do not use pull-ups.  they are handy but confusing to a child, as they are just like a diaper. good old rubber panties with cotton underwear seem to have quicker results because of the discomfort of the wetness. Also be patient with boys, as with men they are slower to get things
Lise
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM
My daughter is 11 & my son will be 16 next Sunday but what I did with both of them worked like a charm!! I got them underpants with their favorite character , Zack's was Barney....I'm sure he'll deny that now & Molly's was Winnie the Pooh. I told them that the the underpants were very special & asked them if they really wanted to poop & pee on Barney & Winnie... they each had only a few accidents and were both potty trained by 2 1/2!!  Give it a try!!!    Wink Lise
aprildav
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM
My son was 3 when I potty trained him. IT took me about a week before he would go potty and me not tell him to. I used to set a timer for about 5-10 minutes. When he would hear the ding I would tell him to go potty or ask him to try. Eventually, he started going before the timer would ding. He thought it was fun. He would run to the bathroom yelling DING.
Doodlemomma
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Patience! I had to constantly remind myself I would not have a 5 year old in diapers. Letting them run around nude is good, with the potty in sight...like one of the other mommies suggested also...my girls were both late...3 yrs. old. I actually blame myself b/c I hate to say it, in a way diapers are more convenient. i didn't focus my efforts on it enough, and i work, too , so  my kids were in daycare. That only helped my older one b/c her best friend went to preschool w/out her...Rewards did not work for me, neither did pull-ups, bribes...in fact, i think the more my kids KNEW I wanted them to go potty, the more they resisted. I missed my window of opprtunity when they wanted to please me, before they want to control everything! W/ both of them, when it happened, it was all of the sudden, when I was about to just give up!
Good luck, hang in there...it will happen!

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2007 at 2:33 PM
The only advice I can offer is dont stress about it. with my son who's now 10 we started with cheerios in the lil potty and that didnt work  I kept having to remind him why he couldnt eat them.  then we moved on to bribes I ended up giving him my entire pokemon collection (sniff sniff) when the cards ran out so did his desire to use the potty.  Then we moved on to bigger bribes  I gave him a movie every time he went i ran out of those pretty quickly. Then my father in law moved in with us and was very sick with cancer and had to have a comode in his bedroom.  My son started using that all on his own and he even started using the regular toilet.  Then when my fil passed away my son regressed and wasnt out of pull ups till he was over 4 and almost in Kindergarten.  My now 8 year old daughter it was my son who deserves all the credit.  She was about 2 give or take a month and he one day just told her he didnt want her to stink up her diapers and go on the elmo seat mommy had in the bathroom. I think he was tired of smellin stinky diapers.  My youngest had turned 1 in august, that december while i was out xmas shopping  she told her daddy she had to go i believed she used a wizzing sound.  He just brought her to the toilet not even thinking of the lil potty and she went.  We may of had a few wet diapers after that but we moved on to pullups soon after.  all 3 of em decided when it was time all on there own.
zoiesmem
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:04 PM
I agree with Lise I did the same thing but I had the little jockey shorts...and told them they were their big boy pants..I don't agree with potties in other rooms...that is real hard when there is company and its not teaching them where to go at other peoples houses, also the nude thing bothers me because they have to learn, It also makes other people uncomfortable. My boys both did it right away just be possitive and understand the accidents and tell them they have to do better the next time. I lived on the 3rd floor it was rough for a bit getting them up the stairs in time but they learned not to wait til they couldn't hold it anymore. Just don't get real mad and they'll catch on. It helped to because the week I trained them I stayed home . Also I agree with no pull ups it just makes them more dependant like diapers...These are just some of my opinions, everyone has their own way. Oh I had no problem with bedwetting either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN