Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this annoys the hell outta me

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM
  • 23 Replies

I am 7 months pregnant with my first child.  As many new moms do, i've been pouring over baby books and different articles soaking up as much info as I possibly could. I've also talked to everyone I know who has had children. 

With all that being said, I have decided that I want to go through labor and delivery drug free.  Everytime someone asks me (about 100 times a day) what I want and I tell them they almost ALWAYS sayd "Oh No.. you definitely want the drugs.. you're crazy!".. I am not crazy I just made a decision for myself....OK I also decided that I will opt for them if the pain becomes unbearable but i would like to try to go without first... why can't people understand that????

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tha-hawt-mommie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:35 AM

well im also crazy. w/ my 1st i said the same thing! and got the same response. anything w/ the word 'drug' in it - i dont do ... well i was hooked on drugs for years and i just knew a dose would have me wanting more and more and more , i didnt want it again. so i said that from day 1 i wasnt going to. but i had alot of complications and had an emergency c-section

good luck , congrats and ur not crazy! =)

boyd-family

I am right there with ya sister! Everyone keeps saying "whatever you are gonna cave and get them" or "your crazy" Funny thing is I chose a birth center that doesnt offer drugs so ha!! I say screw them.....you do what you feel is best for you!!!

CafeMom Tickers
1stTimeMama2010

I too am 7 months and I feel exactly like you. It is a little disheartening when people doubt my ability to stick to something I've put my mind too. I haven't completely ruled out drugs but I plan on trying my hardest to do it drug free. Just know you aren't alone. We can do it! Lol!

Just_Bethy

I have a blood disorder and cannot have any pain drugs and managed to deliver 4 kids...between 8lbs 10 and 9lbs 2oz...Does it hurt..? HELL YES....Can you do it..??? DEFINITLY...is it worth it...who knows...weather you drug up or not you're gonna have that baby so do it how you want and Blessed Be!!! 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

Draysmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:36 AM

I completely understand!! I got the same responses even from the nurses when i checked in.. Although I did cave in and have an epidural after 14 hours, plus i had to have a C-section. i say if you wanna do it drug free then dont let anyone but you change your mind!!

ready_for2
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:36 AM

i was the same exact way you are. first baby. researched like a mad woman. decided i wanted all natural, drug free, hypnobirthing, all that stuff. (my #1 fantasy was a water birth, but couldnt do that at my hospital)... and i heard it all the time. how painful it was, how i would change my mind, etc. and it was the truth!!! at least for me, but i was also induced (which threw off the whole 'natural' plan anyway).... led to extreme pain, which led to the epidural, which luckily didnt keep leading to more interventions like it is common to do.

so i would just say keep an open mind bc you never really know what you will want till the time comes (especially as a first time mom)

and i will say i do hope you make it and have the exact birth that you are hoping for! dont let anyone talk you down

allycally
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Here's the solution dont tell people that. You know what your gonna do. Sometimes women just try and scare 1st timers about L&D.

babipeanut
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:39 AM

It's totally your choice and I AGREE with you.  I went thru 2 deliveries totally pain killer free ( I did have to be induced as labor pains would not regulate) but to me it was the better choice, I didn't like the idea of starting the baby's life with drugs. 

My daughter has had 2 children -both with an epidural and I tease her that she cheated. Real labor is without drugs-she just laughs and tells me that I'm old. She gets to have the new age deliveries.

Check into Lamaze-it worked great for me .

kyco363
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:41 AM

You are not crazy... You have the right mentality - do it drug free. Giving birth doesn't hurt - labor does... so just make it through labor and then... you get to FEEL your birth. Not that I judge what others do... I just think this is right for you.  To each their own... :)

Life is like photography, you need the negative to develop.

pse07
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:42 AM

The pain is the most unbearable thing that most women go thru.  And with all the medical advances to insure that women don't suffer. Its hard to understand why a person would want to experience that. Personally I chose the drugs so i could enjoy my daughters more after my delivery and not be so exhausted.

in lovebaby girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)