Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone have this, if so, what has been your symptoms of this and how has it effected your life?

I'm 25 Years Old and have recently been told I have this, but I think I've had if for since after the birth of my son in 2005....

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sunfreezeinmi
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:18 AM

I don't have it or know much about it but here are some groups on cm for those that do.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/70775/

http://www.cafemom.com/group/607/

http://www.cafemom.com/group/17555/

shebearncub
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Its great that you got diagnosed early is the first thing that comes to my mind!

I am almost 37 but only got diagnosed this past year. I am on Metformin 500 mg 2 times a day for it.

Signs I had were Very irregular periods. Hair growth on certain parts of my body. This is hard for me to admit to a perfect stranger on here but its a fact of life.

At least I have regular periods now........and if I find the right guy there is hope for conception now. I would love to have another child if its in the cards!

Good luck and did your doc put you on any meds?

caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:33 AM

thanks!!! :-)

caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Quoting shebearncub:

Its great that you got diagnosed early is the first thing that comes to my mind!

I am almost 37 but only got diagnosed this past year. I am on Metformin 500 mg 2 times a day for it.

Signs I had were Very irregular periods. Hair growth on certain parts of my body. This is hard for me to admit to a perfect stranger on here but its a fact of life.

At least I have regular periods now........and if I find the right guy there is hope for conception now. I would love to have another child if its in the cards!

Good luck and did your doc put you on any meds?

No meds yet.... My periods are pretty regular just very-very heavy, I have cramps a lot and I feel off balance a lot too... I have the skin tags and hair also.... After the birth of my son in 2005 in 2006 I had a lot of problems with my periods... I would bleed for weeks, and skip periods (which is why i think I've had pcos since then.. I recently gotten a new doctor since mine has left to work at another hospital, and after me asking to recheck my thyroid/hormones and them coming back fine, she told me she thought I had PCOS since I have the black velvety patches on the back on my neck (for those who might not know what I mean, my neck looks dirty most of the time and there's nothing i can do about that) and the skin tags I have and the extra hair..... So I guess I'll have to WAIT (which I hate doing) and see what is in store for me.. Do you feel off balance at any time? good luck to having a baby in your future and finding a great man...

ZachsMom381
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:45 AM

When I was 16 we thought it was strange that I hadnt gotten my period yet. So my mom thought it would be a good idea to have me checked out to see why I hadnt. The doctor tested me for PCOS and the results came back as a good possibility that I had it. Now just so you know I have struggled with my weight my whole life. The doctor told me that the bigger that I got that the worse it would get. She also prescribed birth control pills so my eggs wouldnt stick to the ovaries during that time of the month because they could eventually cause ovarian cysts. She also prescribed me some Spironolactone which is said to prevent the growth of facial hair. A year later i quit taking that becasue it was expensive and w/ no results. The DR never official diagnosed me as having it, but as time goes on I think that I do have it. Sometimes I will go for 6 months to a year w/out having my period.

I was also told when I was 16 that I could probably NEVER have kids. That crushed me. Well, lets just say this, I think that Dr's have a very hard job sometimes, but they should not EVER tell a 16 year old girl that she cant have kids. Now I am 26 and have a 3 year old son. I should not have listened when they told me i wouldnt be able to have kids. As time goes on I think that I do have it because I am so irregular. I probably wouldnt have made it through that ordeal when I was 16 if I didnt have support from my mom's good friend who was diagnosed with PCOS and I did kindof lean on her a lot for stuff. This is a serious condition, and I try to keep my weight in check also because my mom's friend has full blown diabetes that was a complication of PCOS. Anyways, I hope that this post will help you get through things okay.

Good luck and hang in there.

shebearncub
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Thank you for wishing me luck! Its hard to find a great quality guy at any age I feel! lol..glad your happy in that aspect!

It took me 3 years to conceive my dd who is 9 now but I always thought it was because of my ex's constant drinking. Cause I found out that his drinking as much as he did could make his sperm slow. But he has had another child and I still just have the 1 even though I have had some good committed relationships so I guess the problem was me. Thats OK though at least I know now and my periods are regular!

No I don't feel off balance at all. I am a bigger girl and always have been but I try to stay active by playing basketball. It has helped with my resulting depression about my PCOS and all. I play on a winter league.

I thought being off balance had to do with your inner ear. Never knew it could be a PCOS side affect. Have you joined any of the PCOS groups on CM yet? You might ask that question there.

With my periods I don't have hardly any cramping....the periods are just irregular. Could be worse I know!

Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)