Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so scared

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM
  • 26 Replies

I took my son to the doctor today for a normal 18 month well baby checkup. Then the doctor started freaking out about his weight. I have been kinda concerned but my husbands family and mine too all have thin children. He has ordered blood tests for Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, Thyriod Problems, etc... Now he has me scared. What if my son is really sick? He is worried because he has fallen from the 67 percentile in weight at his birth to the 2 percentile in weight. Now we wait. The worst part is my husband deploys the day before we get the test results. Here is a picture i took a few days ago. He looks fine to me

i love my son Pictures, Images and Photos Johnathan Junior 04/17/08
ttc Pictures, Images and Photos
Not an ordinary wife Pictures, Images and Photos Johnathan and Sarah 05/05/07

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Did he gain weight at all?  Did he get taller?  Is he actually growing or did he lose weight and stay the same height?

Swtmama62205
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM

He looks completly normal to me.  But my two year old is a little peanut.  Is he loosing weight?  Is he not growing at all?  My two year old is only 23 lbs

Just_Bethy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Yes....he looks fine to me to...but from what you said he hasn't gained any weight for a while..?? Its best to be safe ...but the doctor shouldn't have "freaked" and scared you...these tests are just usually to rule out anything serious....Love and Light to your adorable little one!! 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM

My almost 5 year old weighs 30 pounds but my almost 2 year old weighs 36lbs. lol. I am sure your son is fine.

Davids_Wife1307
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:27 AM

He looks fine to me. My 3 1/2 yr old son is 31 pounds. 

sgeorge0505
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM

In the last 6 months he hasn't gained any weight but he has gotten taller. He is 19 months and 22 lbs. the doctors concern is how did a 8 lb 6 oz baby at birth not continue to gain weight regularly. He eats fine and so the doctor thinks he should be gaining more

Quoting jillbailey26:

Did he gain weight at all?  Did he get taller?  Is he actually growing or did he lose weight and stay the same height?

i love my son Pictures, Images and Photos Johnathan Junior 04/17/08
ttc Pictures, Images and Photos
Not an ordinary wife Pictures, Images and Photos Johnathan and Sarah 05/05/07

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM

He looks on the small end of normal to me. I am sure your doctor is just being prudent and checking to make sure there isnt an underlying problem. Try not to worry until someone gives you a reason to.

My daughter has had issues with her weight all her life , but she really did have a disease we needed to worry about. She has Crohns Disease , and we KNEW she was sick , because she had tons of symptoms. If your son is acting like a normal kid, the higher the chance is that there is nothing wrong.

There are things you can do to help increace his weight gain. Pediasure , high caloric foods etc. The next time you see your doc , ask him if you need to see a nutritionist for a high calorie diet and supplements like pediasure .

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

chais_wifey
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM

My daughter (who turns 2 today!) is only 21/22 lbs but the difference is that she has been small since birth. She's always been between 2-5 percentile since birth. Maybe that's what freaked out the doctor more, is the drastic change in percentile. But it could still be nothing so try not to worry unnecessarily. I hope everything turns out fine.

TheJerseyGirl

He is gorgeous! What part of him looks unhealthy?And at this point in my life, I wish I was in the 2 % for weight! lol

mellybeans

I do not think your son looks underweight...Just my opinion though. My son is 7 yrs old, and 35 lbs., which is underweight by many standards, but he has always been like that. Between the ages of 4-6 though his Ped. was worried because he had only grown 2 inches and gained NO weight at all (he was 26 lbs)...He gave us supplements and put my son on a special HIGH FAT diet. He ended up gaining weight, and at his last check up has grown a foot...He his still very slender, and I am sure that his how he will be the rest of his life. I hope everything is ok with your son, but I would also be so thankful that you have such a proactive Pediatrician.

bump

Melly B

I am a Card and Invitation Creating,  Tiffany and Co. Adoring, COACH Obsessed, Shopping Fanatic, Bargain Hunting, Cooking, Cleaning, Homework Doing, Sarcastic, Sometimes Witty, ALWAYS Caring and Loving SAHM Who Loves her "Bubby" and Children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)