Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 6 yrs old to young?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM
  • 26 Replies

Okay my 6 yr old wants to call everyone he knows all the time but I wont usually let him.He brought home like 10 phone numbers,half of them are little girls.My other two boys wasnt even interested in calling people at this age.Would you let your 6 yr old use the phone like that?I just don't want him calling ppl and their moms not liking their kids on the phone.He called a little girl last year( he was 5) and her mom DID NOT like it,so I kinda quit letting him call ppl.Is it inappropriate for him to be calling girls?IDK because my girl is only 6 months old so for the ppl who have girls,how would you feel?Would you let your 6 yr old use the phone when they wanted?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemomof2nok
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I only allow my 6 yo to talk to relatives on the phone.  I think they are a little young to be calling friends. 

itzjustbabyfat
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM

my 5 year old daughter LOVES to be on the phone. I don't see any problem in it.... but here Daddy is another opinion all together. He hates when I let her walk around on the phone (but I still let her). I guess I'm no help seeing as our family is split on this same question. 

shebearncub

Sorry but I don't even let my 9 yr old dd use the phone to call her friends yet. She can do it when she is 11 or so but I feel 9 is too young still to be doing so. I don't let her give out our number either to her friends. Perhaps I am mean I don't know but we are soon going to be a 1 phone family again and I don't want to use all my mins on her little friends calling....ya know?

Just_Bethy

Maybe get a timer and let him talk no more than 7 mins per friend..?? My kids love getting calls... 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

MrsReesca17
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I don't see a problem with every now and again for a special occasion or something, but not on a regular basis, no.  Too young.

lbdm2002
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM

My DD was 7 before she was allowed to talk to friends on the phone.  Even at that, it was only during a certain time on the weekends.  We used to live pretty far out in the country, so they couldn't just run over to each others houses to play.  So I didn't mind...however, she was only allowed to talk to other girls..no boys!

I find it funny now, though..it's only been a year and now her best friend is a boy.  They hang out ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time.  He lives 3 floors up in our apartment building..we even allow them to have sleepovers. 

Mom2jngnc
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:32 AM

My 7 yr. old gets phone calls inviting him to play. After the inital child chatter, I will get on the phone with the parent and ask what kind of mischief is being plotted on his/her end and compare to my end and then set up a "playdate." 

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

bupkie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Unless you know the parents pretty well, or have had the friends over for playdates, personally, I wouldn't allow my DS to just cold call children...   there was a child that kept calling my son all the time, and we just stopped answering the phone.   (He hadn't even played with my son outside of school; and DS didn't like to play with him at school either!)   It's different if it's a best friend, or they play frequently, but I can understand parents not appreciating kids just calling kids they don't know. 

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***dancing

MommyToEthan
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:33 AM

my son is only 3, but i do think that 6 is a little young to be calling friends...... 

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

CountryBreed
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:34 AM

In my opinion yes it is too young. If a six year old called my house I would politely explain to them that my six year old was NOT allowed to talk on the phone and to not call back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)