• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Headstart Program the same as VPK??

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM
  • 9 Replies

I saw a post about the Headstart program and I'm not sure what it is but is it the same as VPK??

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
myrtlebeach
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:38 AM

WHat is VPK ??

Headstart is generally a Preschool and PreK prgoram for low income families

kat247
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Not sure..I saw the other post and asked like 2 times and never got an answer so heres a bump for ya.

KeepOnWalking
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM

My daughter is in Head start this year and it is also considered Pre-K.

hadcarmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM

VPK is a program in Florida that the state pays for regardless of your income for your child that turns 4 before September 1 to go to school 15 hours a week the year before Kindergarten. It prepares them for Kindergarten.

KeepOnWalking
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Not nessasarly my sisters kids went to Head start a few years ago and they made lots of money. Head start is goverment funded but any child where I live can get it regardless of your income.

Quoting myrtlebeach:

WHat is VPK ??

Headstart is generally a Preschool and PreK prgoram for low income families

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM

The only place I've heard of VPK is in FL.  If you're there, head start is an all day program, where they go during regular school hours and most likely at a regular elementary school.  VPK is a volunteer program and they only do it for a few hours a day and it's done in daycare centers.

hadcarmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Oh ok I see. I didn't know if it was VPK everywhere. But yes it's only for 15 hours a week so 3 hours a day!

Quoting jillbailey26:

The only place I've heard of VPK is in FL.  If you're there, head start is an all day program, where they go during regular school hours and most likely at a regular elementary school.  VPK is a volunteer program and they only do it for a few hours a day and it's done in daycare centers.

supermomofgirls
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Do you mean UPK? My Emily is in UPK(universal pre-k) its not the same as headstart UPK is more geared to special education. My emily is in half day special ed and the other half of the day is regular pre-k.There are 2 teachers and and aid in the classroom.My Emily gets speech physical therapy and occupational therapy as well.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:54 AM

From what I know, it's only in FL.  I used to live down there.  Now I'm in GA.  The Pre-K here runs all day like regular school.

Quoting hadcarmom:

Oh ok I see. I didn't know if it was VPK everywhere. But yes it's only for 15 hours a week so 3 hours a day!

Quoting jillbailey26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)