• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else ever have costocondritis?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am so sick of this!   i have been getting this on and off for over 10 years! its chest pain caused by your muscles, ribs, sternum, etc. i feel like i have a knife lodged in my chest right now, everytime i go to the doctor they tell me to take advil which is completely useless.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
m0m2twoboys
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I havent had the pain in so long but I know the pain. I know it sux and for the dr to just tell you, take a pill. UGH it hurts!!!! I remember I felt like I was having a heart attack. Not cool. I feel ya girl. 

Septpreggo
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Quoting m0m2twoboys:

I havent had the pain in so long but I know the pain. I know it sux and for the dr to just tell you, take a pill. UGH it hurts!!!! I remember I felt like I was having a heart attack. Not cool. I feel ya girl. 

thanks yes it feels like a heart attack but mine always comes back anyone else?
m0m2twoboys
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting m0m2twoboys:

Have you done any research on it?

I found this. Recurring costochondritis could be a symptom of fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia often have several tender spots. The upper part of the breastbone is a common tender spot.

Also I have been on anti-depressants for yrs now, thats probably what is helping me.

To ease your pain until it fades, your doctor may recommend:

• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs),such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve)
  • Antidepressants,specifically a category of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants, if pain is making it difficult to sleep at night
  • Muscle relaxants, which can also help ease pain

Septpreggo
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Quoting m0m2twoboys:

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting m0m2twoboys:

I found this. Recurring costochondritis could be a symptom of fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia often have several tender spots. The upper part of the breastbone is a common tender spot.

Also I have been on anti-depressants for yrs now, thats probably what is helping me.

• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs),such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve)
  • Antidepressants,specifically a category of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants, if pain is making it difficult to sleep at night

THANK YOU!!!! im actually starting to wonder if i have fibro, my doc did prescrible muscle relaxants but they make me too tired to take care of my dd   i was actually thinking of trying antidepressants so im so glad u said that! Thanks!

m0m2twoboys
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting m0m2twoboys:

Quoting Septpreggo:

Quoting m0m2twoboys:

THANK YOU!!!! im actually starting to wonder if i have fibro, my doc did prescrible muscle relaxants but they make me too tired to take care of my dd   i was actually thinking of trying antidepressants so im so glad u said that! Thanks!

Your very welcome, your the 1st person Ive ever talked to that has had costo, I thought it was all in my head.

BTW my aunt has fibro, I wish you luck what your treatments and pain.

hockey_momma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I have it and it is chronic because of a sports injury as a kid. I get a flare up once every 2 years and it lasts for a month or two.

~Jessica

I LOVE HOCKEY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)