• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know anything about Aides or Assistance in special education classes?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm looking for a job at a local school district and one of the positions they have avaible is as an Aide for the special ed department.

It says that I wouldn't  be left alone with the kids and I don't need any experience so I know I can do it.

Anyway, under their job listings, this is what it says:

Clerical/Technical 42 ($16,998 minimum)
􀁺 Adaptive Behavior aides - #3253*
􀁺 LIFE skills aides - #3254*
􀁺 PPCD aides - #3255*
􀁺 Resource aides - #3256
 * plus $1,000 stipend

Does anyone have any idea what the numbers stand for after the pound sign? Is that the number of positions available? The salary? I'm confused.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KellyOh72
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Job number for the ad maybe? 

Ann7227
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I know u will have to take a test to be a Aide. But pays good.

Heartlight617
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Probably just the listing code for the job.Good luck, it should be a very rewarding position!
Carol
kk_bella
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Ann7227:

Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of test it will be. I interviewed with the same school for the same position a few years ago. They wanted to hire me but I decided that I couldn't work in special ed (didn't even have kids of my own back then). I remember taking a test for them, but it was mostly typing. Do you know what the test consists of?

I'm a little worried but I really need a job and as long as they are willing to train me I think I'll be okay. Since it says you don't need experience, I am guessing they will train.

alexhuntercody

maybe its a school code? Like that position is needed at the school that has that number?

kk_bella

Quoting alexhuntercody:

maybe its a school code? Like that position is needed at the school that has that number?

That's a good idea, that might be it because it does say multiple schools needed.

alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Quoting kk_bella:

Quoting Ann7227:

Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of test it will be. I interviewed with the same school for the same position a few years ago. They wanted to hire me but I decided that I couldn't work in special ed (didn't even have kids of my own back then). I remember taking a test for them, but it was mostly typing. Do you know what the test consists of?

I'm a little worried but I really need a job and as long as they are willing to train me I think I'll be okay. Since it says you don't need experience, I am guessing they will train.

have you tried also applying for a sub postion? I know here its just a 6 week course at the district office no degree except high school or GED required.  My nephew goes to the school here and al ot of the paretns on PTO are also sub teachers.

Ann7227
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I work at a school and a couple of girls I know are Aides at the Middle school. I'll ask when I go in at 10  . It would be after 1 today. But I'll let u know. 

Quoting kk_bella:

Quoting Ann7227:

mom22tumblebugs
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:47 AM

You might want to check with your school district. In IL, you need to pass a paraprofessional certification. It can be taken at the local community college for minimal cost.

Our aides, are just that, aides work in the classroom and along with the teacher help a specific child or children if a shared aide. It frees up the teacher to work with all the kids int he class, and not just one that may need extra assistance. It takes a lot of committment b/c these kids and parents are dependent on you and need you to be a consistent part of their day to day education experience. Some kids need a lot of facilitation, and some are easy going. One of the aides in a previous early childhood ed (preschoolers) class had 1:1 with a boy that was non-verbal autistic, and when frustrated used to hit bite push or grab the other kids. You have to be aware how to properly deal with children that cannot communicate effectively.

Do you have experience with special needs kids? If so, you should already be aware of someof the challenges you would face on the job. Not only do you deal with kids, but also parents, some of whom advocate VERY strongly for their child.

Nattiesmom9603
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I sub at my daughters school.I work at the high school/middle school and I only have to take a test if I bid on a job and get it.I think they test because of the no child left behind thing.I have worked in special education(my favorite class),study halls,cafeteria,pretty much all over.I enjoy it.I am looking to take a test if there are jobs available that give me good hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)