Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone use christmas savings clubs.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

Just curious.

We use one at a local credit union that gives you 10% on your balance when its time to cut yuo your check. We always put 20 in there a month; which is 5.00 a week and then will put a couple hundred in at tax time with our refund and i will put pell grant refunds in there as well along with any extra money we may stumble upon.

Its nice becasue i can afford 5.00 aweek by cutting back on other friviousl things. WE don't put back htat much at tax time to take away from other bills and i don't need my refunds from pell cause they are usually only 100-200 a semester and any extra money we get was never even expected anyway. The money is cut to you a week before Thanksgiving.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Honeybun09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:51 AM

What? Wow. I want one of these! That would help SO much. Definitely looking into that.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping for at least 6 months, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, spanking as a last resort believing, anti-CIO until age 1, learning to cook, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, health care is a human right believing, stay-at-home watching kids for a little income, trying to recycle more mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM

yeah most credit unions have them. They are really nice.

luv_my_xiya
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM

i should start doing that...when you say they give you 10% of your balance, do you mean that if you have like $500 in there, they will give you an extra $50??

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

~*:*~ In need of unique jewelry? Check out www.missbfab.com ~*:*~ 

alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

i should start doing that...when you say they give you 10% of your balance, do you mean that if you have like $500 in there, they will give you an extra $50??

Ours does yes. But i don't know if others do or not. Some just give you dividenes on your balance each month.

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I haven't in the past, but I intend to this year.  I'm planning to put about $75/month in.  If we can swing $100, we will, but I think $75 is sufficient.  I'm going to open it in March, once we're comfortable with the new budget I've set up for us.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

BrandonsMom1000
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I have one too.  I put in $30 a month and I get a check for $365 at the first of November.  I love it.

jenny677823
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I've done this. Only I put $10/wk cuz we never get any extra money from anything. Ours gives dividends each month as well as a 10% bonus at the end. We (for now) only have 1 child though so that gives us a nice head start. Last year we used the money and bought him a 4 wheeler!

CafeMom Tickers
ganfield_c
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:59 AM

my old work did that for us. i used to put 25 a week in, this was before kids and such LOL. when i could afford to do it. and i will tell u what getting a 1200 dollar check round xmas was nice nice nice. 

wreath

Mz.1Me
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I have never used one, but I always said that I wated to try to get one. Now that you told me how it works,I have to go get one. Somtimeswe come through hardship and don't know if we can afford to get the kids something forchristmas. This club can really help me. Thankyou for the info.high five 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)