Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BB GUN

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM
  • 33 Replies

OK, ladies I normally don't post but I need opinions. My son,Tyler, is 9. He'll be 10 in January. My DH wants to buy him a BB gun for Christmas. I totally disagree! I think he is too young! We have been having this "argument" for months now. He says if we are responsible parents and teach him how to use it then he will be responsible. I do NOT agree that he will be. At times he is VERY immature for almost 10. Also, we have a baby due in March and I'm don't want him to get ahold of it if Tyler leaves it out. I don't like guns in the house PERIOD! Even a BB gun. Is this something you would comprimise with your DH on?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2HannahNZach
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Maybe an air pellet gun instead? We are getting Ds one this Xmas, he's 8. But my son has also had training on using guns. There would be absolutely NO way he would use the gun without strict supervision and no way it would accidently be left where he could get it.  Responsible parents can have responsible children.

jenny677823
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:10 AM

bump 

CafeMom Tickers
jenny677823
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Doesn't air pellet guns use BBS as well? I seen a plastic air pellet BB gun with plastic pellets that I might be willing to try but just not crazy bout the whole idea!

Quoting Mom2HannahNZach:

Maybe an air pellet gun instead? We are getting Ds one this Xmas, he's 8. But my son has also had training on using guns. There would be absolutely NO way he would use the gun without strict supervision and no way it would accidently be left where he could get it.  Responsible parents can have responsible children.

CafeMom Tickers
Sam_I_Am601
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I think it depends on the two of you and what type of responsibility both of you will take with him. If he can only access it from one of you and has constant supervision then it would be fine. Like all firearms it should have some sort of lock on it and be kept away from him when you and dh don't have time to use it with him.  

LIVE  SIMPLY, LOVE GENEROUSLY, CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY, LEAVE THE REST TO GOD... SAM

jenny677823
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM

We are both pretty responsible I think BUT I know my son. Hes sneaky and will try to get it when we're not around. Most I have looked at online do have safety locks which is an absolute neccessity!

Quoting Sam_I_Am601:

I think it depends on the two of you and what type of responsibility both of you will take with him. If he can only access it from one of you and has constant supervision then it would be fine. Like all firearms it should have some sort of lock on it and be kept away from him when you and dh don't have time to use it with him.  

CafeMom Tickers
GarysWife08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM

My son is 12 and we bought him A bb gun for Christmas.I feel he is ready to have one.I guess we'll find out Christmas,hopefully they want be any windows shot out.lol! I'm not sure what you should do,maybe get one but have strict rules when your son is playing with the gun and always watch him.

jenny677823
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Oh I VERY much plan on being overly strict lol he'll prolly end up hating me in the end but if it saves someone or something from getting hurt then he can hate away! lol I'm still not comfortable with the idea but from the responses Ive gotten so far I need to comprimise with hubby :( lol

Quoting GarysWife08:

My son is 12 and we bought him A bb gun for Christmas.I feel he is ready to have one.I guess we'll find out Christmas,hopefully they want be any windows shot out.lol! I'm not sure what you should do,maybe get one but have strict rules when your son is playing with the gun and always watch him.

CafeMom Tickers
springfever1971
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I would really lay down some rules for him and make him aware of them and i would also keep it locked up and allow him to use it  when he is supervised .

tuesday10
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM

It depends on your son,  I would let mine have one at that age

th78
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM

ok my dd turned 10 in oct and has had a bb gun FOREVER! she uses it responsibly and never without one of us (parents)present. we keep it in the safe with her dads firearms so she cannot access it with out us getting it for her. Also, all of the ammunitions are kept in a separate fire safe away from all of the firearms.

and....6.5 y/0 dd has had one since she was probably 4. well no she was 3 when dh got it for her for christmas but turned 4 in march. all the same things apply to her also that are stated above. They are both very good at hitting their paper targets and they love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)