• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE try to help them!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM
  • 1 Replies

National Guard Troops Need $4,000 For Bus Trip Home For Christmas

$9,000 Previously Secured Fell Through

POSTED: 3:58 pm CST December 12, 2009
UPDATED: 7:52 pm CST December 12, 2009

ASHLAND CITY, Tenn. -- Three buses are set to leave Monday Dec. 21 heading to Mississippi to pick up 130 members of the Tennessee Army National Guard. However, after the money fell through this week, those buses won't be making the trip unless $4,000 can be raised. Last Sunday in Ashland City, you could see the tears rolling down many faces when the 278th Calvary of the Tennessee Army National Guard departed.

Among those who know what it's like to have to go is retired 1st Sergeant Dale Smith. "I've lost friends of mine during this conflict. These soldiers are my family," he said. Having led this same group five years ago, Smith knows how hard it is to be away from family at Christmas. "Its very crucial that the soldiers get home to see their families," he said. It's an emotional topic for Smith who fought back tears because these soldiers have an opportunity to come home this Christmas. Cheatham County Commissioner, David Davidson said, "They go on Christmas leave Dec. 22 at midnight and they come home for one week. They have to be back down there Dec. 29."

However, the lack of money now stands in the way of that trip. Davidson said $9,000 that the national guard had secured to transport the men and women back home from Mississippi fell through this week. "Its going to be hard for a lot of these soldiers because they've got kids," he said. So now those like Smith and Davidson are doing all they can to help raise the $9,000 needed for the bus trip.

We've got about $5,000 raised, so we need about $4,000 more dollars," Davidson said. "A lot of these guys give up good paying jobs to take a lower paying salary from the military and I hate to see them have to fund their own way home for Christmas," Smith added. It's especially important that these men and women get home this year, because when they deploy to Iraq in the spring, they will be gone for the next year. Although $5,000 has already been raised, another $4,000 is needed by Friday Dec. 18 in order to secure the buses.

If you would like to donate to help make sure these troops get home for Christmas, there is a fund set up at Community Bank and Trust.

You can make a donation at any branch. Just specify it's for the "Christmas Ride Home 4 Soldiers" fund.

You can reach the bank by calling 615-792-0029.
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
prego7386
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)