Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We find money at Christmas...why can't we pay our bills!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM
  • 6 Replies

Me and my daughter were talking yesterday...why is it that we find money to buy gifts at Christmas but the rest of the year we don't seem to be able to meet our bills...I told her that we blow too much on things we don't realize but at Christmas we are more careful..this year I didn't use one credit card or make any loans..I stayed in budget...what do the rest of you think....why can't you make your bills on non-Christmas months.....

psychic test, psychic development and psychic readings

"Women are representive of the Earth itself, we nature, and nuture to ensure that life goes on." Denise '08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
alishabear0808
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

My SO and I have issues year round... and if it wasnt for the GI Bill with the military and him promising to go to school the only christmas present would be the one for my grandma that has the babys gender in it! She is getting to find out first and then the rest of the family will get to know!

imthatgirl728

Have you tried budgeting for your bills the rest of the year?

IDK, I make my bills a priority so they always get paid.

De_Chick

That is true! I think we are more willing to give things up for the spirit of the holiday than we are for the spirit of paying bills maybe? lol

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Quoting imthatgirl728:

Have you tried budgeting for your bills the rest of the year?

IDK, I make my bills a priority so they always get paid.

Same here. We don't do anything, buy anything we want unless our bills for that part of the month are paid for.

Budgeting and STICKING with it does wonders.

3earthangels
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Bills are always the first thing to get paid here, so that's not a problem. It's what we are supposed to put into savings, pay off my credit stuff. I've seriously sat down and figured out our budget, and we should have a good $500-$600 a month left after bills and groceries, gas for the cars, and diapers & wipes..... but it's no where to be found. So the past two months I've been keeping ALL receipts. So far I've figured we spend about $350/month on cigarettes (both of us smoke a pack a day) and we both spend about $20/week in crap like coffee. Then there's ordering or eating out once a week. That stuff really tears through any money we should have.

Since we will not be together next year (separated now) I've decided that I will quit smoking, make my own coffee and meal for at work, and reduce our eating out to once every 2 weeks. Plus my pay will be about $10k more than what we make now. And all that money is going into savings.

jcsg
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

We've been guilty in the past of not keeping up on our bills, yet always finding the money to spend at Christmas.  Never realized how bad we were until last year.

For us, it took a major life change to understand what we were doing wrong.  My husband being laid off last year was probably the best thing to happen to us.  Even though we had some savings set aside, we didn't have enough for emergencies.  This past year taught us that bills MUST be paid BEFORE anything else.

This is the first year ever, that we have actually gone Christmas shopping AFTER making sure all our bills have been paid for the month.  And we have bought everything in cash.  I can't tell you how liberating it feels to be able to actually do it this way.  We now follow a budget and do not over-spend.  The boys aren't getting everything they want, but they will be getting things that they probably thought they wouldn't.

There is no easy way to do it.  But it is something that you have to do.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)