Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think the parents should pay for this $21,917 cell phone bill their kid racked up?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM
  • 73 Replies

A California man is stunned to learn his 13-year-old son racked up $21,000 cell phone bill.There's the video.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/21933134/index.html

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USMCBride08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM

and this is what happens when you dont WATCH your child closely. 

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens. But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen I have no rank upon my shoulders, salutes I do not give. But the military world is the place where I live. I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get. But my husband is the one who does, this I cannot forget. I'm not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line. But my job is just as tough. I'm the one that's left behind. My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man, And the call to serve his country, not all can understand. Behind the lines I see the things needed to keep this country free. My husband makes the sacrifice, but so do our kids and me. I love the man I married. Patriotism is his life. But I stand among the silent ranks known as the military wife.

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Quoting USMCBride08:

The father is blaming it on Verizon. I think it's the parents fault. Did you see the video? He was getting into the internet or something like that.

andreaw03
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Yup....set rules, and keep track of usage, and this doesn't happen!! What happened to family time and supervision?? Cause obviously...it wasn't happening?!

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Quoting ErikaM27:

Quoting USMCBride08:

The father is blaming it on Verizon. I think it's the parents fault. Did you see the video? He was getting into the internet or something like that.

The father said that he told Verizon to keep it to only calls and texts.  They didn't comply.  Verizon should have turned off the web feature, like the father asked.

maybaby08

My computer doesn't like to play videos but from the little information I'm guessing the parents told verizon not to allow his phone access to the internet and he got on there anyway and caused a bunch of charges. then I think it's the parents fault for not buying a cheap phone without internet access. I just got a cell phone with a camera/internet access a couple of days ago. I will not be using the internet on it, i have a computer I don't need to be on the internet when I'm away from it too LOL

Yes we CAN and Yes we DID!!!!

Photobucket

travswife55

This is why I like my provider unlimited internet lol I would be furious at my children....

USMCBride08

no, i didnt watch the video LOL....i never watch them, people always saying "its not my fault"

waah. watch your kid, be PROACTIVE in their activites. if you cant trust your kid NOT to go online, then block the internet.

i remember when i got my first cellphone, my parents watched the hell out of me. they checked the online account info, etc.

and how the hell should verizon know whether or not to let this kid go online lmao

Quoting ErikaM27:

Quoting USMCBride08:

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens. But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen I have no rank upon my shoulders, salutes I do not give. But the military world is the place where I live. I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get. But my husband is the one who does, this I cannot forget. I'm not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line. But my job is just as tough. I'm the one that's left behind. My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man, And the call to serve his country, not all can understand. Behind the lines I see the things needed to keep this country free. My husband makes the sacrifice, but so do our kids and me. I love the man I married. Patriotism is his life. But I stand among the silent ranks known as the military wife.

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

lol.. the bill was due on my birthday..

but that father is delusional. Its totally the parent's fault. There's so many ways to prevent this kinda stuff.  

jillbailey26

If he did tell Verizon to turn off the web feature, then he shouldn't have to pay for the data charges.  He should only have to worry about the phone calls and text charges, since that's what he asked for. 

mom22tumblebugs

I would hope that verizon would work with this family. I really think that Verizona dn every other cell phone carrier should have some checks and balances put in place to prevent this from happening. Like credit cards that can alert cardholders when excessive charges are put on cards (for concern about identity theft/fraud)... cell carriers should be able to alert phone conumers when excessive charges rack up to prevent this from happeniing. 

FYI- you can always call your cell carrier and ask them to disable texting, internet access, and other services, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)