Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will your kids be getting one of these for Christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM
  • 137 Replies

A toy gun? Water gun? Toy sword?

My kids are certainly too young for something like this but I wonder how many people allow their kids to play with these toys. If you do, why? I think they promote violence and unfortunately they will not be allowed in my house... ever.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NikkosMommy820
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I am with you 100% !!!

Not in my house.....not now or ever.

shecallsmemom04
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM

no.

guns and swords are not "toys" in my home. 

When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out.
imthatgirl728
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM

My children won't be, but I have no problem with them.

When they were younger I always said...my kids won;t play with those. But as my kids have grown I have come to realize a foam sword is not going to undermine all the parenting I have done over the years. And if it did...I think I would have far larger problems.

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

No, she won't be getting any toys guns for Christmas.  She already has a BB gun, pellet gun, and 20 gauge...  Let the bashing begin!

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Kids will make "guns" out of sticks.  You don't need an actual gun or sword to promote imaginative gun/sword play.  It doesn't promote violence, it promotes imagination.  My boys actually work together killing ghosts and monsters.  Our house is rid of both. :)

dcdmattison03
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I don't see how they promote violence. I mean they are kids playing with a "toy" gun. but whatever to each their own

monkeysmom2003
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

wow they are just toys ... they have being around longer than most of us .. its not guns that kill its people ..(no we don't have a real gun in our home)

.(I'm Mexican but raised in the USA) I'm a stay at home mom of two kids  . a six year old boy and a two year old girl .they are my world .. my dh is American and we met in high school .we got secretly married on march 19 2003.. during spring break .  and on our honeymoon we each went to our own home to sleep , also i do believe in a god , but not in the bible. I express my self better in Spanish!

Purtyred
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

My son was allowed toy guns and swords when he was littler and played with things like that. He also hunts with his dad and knows the proper way to handle a weapon. He's a very well mannered, well behaved teen now...no problems with violence.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Do you teach them not to point them at people?

I was allowed to have them as a child and our rule was to not point them at anyone's body.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Kids will make "guns" out of sticks.  You don't need an actual gun or sword to promote imaginative gun/sword play.  It doesn't promote violence, it promotes imagination.  My boys actually work together killing ghosts and monsters.  Our house is rid of both. :)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

mykidsrock234
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

My son's getting his very own machine gun..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)