Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

really bad wic appt..like extremely bad.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM
  • 70 Replies

I am about to say screw you to wic. I had a recert appt today and it was with a new lady. She told me that my 4 year old is really tiny. he was 36inches and 27.4 pounds. Yes he is tiny. But his ped says he is fine and i told her this. She was like "well i don't know why your doctor would think that is ok". So she wanted to know when i last had him at the doctor. I told her last month. She was like what date? i said i dont'remeber. SHe asked for his doctor's number and name.

WTF is she going to do? I have to take him back in a month to be rechecked and i'm about to say screw it. His doctor isn't worried. I don't know how trained these people are at wic but they can't be better than a freakin doctor.

And then she had to nerve to tell me my soon to be 2 year old is to large. He weighs 36 pounds at 32 inches tall but she was more worried "worrisome" she said about my 4 year old.

I called the doctor and left a message with him. But seriously it really annoyed me she acted like that with me. I don't starve my kid and i hate how she was implying i was starving him and lying that the doctor was saying he was fine.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I'm so sorry.  I swear I think sometimes those WIC people are full of themselves and have an over-inflated sense of importance.  My SIL used to go round and round with them when she was on WIC.  They were always telling her that her kids were obese (the weren't -- they were on the high end of normal, but their pediatrician said they were fine and would probably even out after a growth spurt) and lecturing her.  Sometimes she really wondered if it was worth going through all that.

alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My kids go to the doctor all the time. I am very into their health and medical and the doctor has never been worried about his weight; except once when he was sick and lost a few pounds but he gained it right back after he recovered.

I left there feeling like a asshole and a very bad parent to boot because my soon to be 2 year old weighs more than my 4 year old

mybabyapples
by Purple People Eater on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

See heres the thing about wic..They get these little pamphlets about the average height and weight of children.If they are 2 lbs more than what the chart says they should be for their height, they lecture you..They rarely know what they are really talking about.ask her where she gets her sources from.Its usually handed to them, not something they actually had to go learn about in school.. 

CafeMom Tickers
alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Quoting mybabyapples:

See heres the thing about wic..They get these little pamphlets about the average height and weight of children.If they are 2 lbs more than what the chart says they should be for their height, they lecture you..They rarely know what they are really talking about.ask her where she gets her sources from.Its usually handed to them, not something they actually had to go learn about in school.. 

then why did she question me on the doctor? like i was lying and that the doctor woudn't be fine with his weight? He is a very active little boy and he is a picky eater but he eats and i feed him 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. WE don't do juice and we do about 3-4 cups of milk a day and the rest is straight water.  His iron level was good. I just dont' like how this lady made me out to be a bad mom and a liar.

ColtonKeatonMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM

My boys ped always says to just "smile, say ok, and nod" at them. Your's will probably tell you the same. Don't worry about them, the doc won't make their concerns change the treatment plan.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

adamsmama
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM

My 3 yo son is exactly the same size as your older one. It's weird how people cannot accept that healthy people (including toddlers) come in all shapes and sizes. You don't have to argue with the WIC people. Just tell them your son's pediatrician isn't concerned and ignore whatever comes out of their mouths after that. They are not physicians or even nurses.

mommy_lisa25
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

As far as I know you have to sign a release for them to talk to your doctor about your child anyway. I'd honestly would've told her that unless she has an M.D. next to her name she can keep all medical opinions to herself as she's not qualified to give out medical advice. I'd also consider contacting those higher up at the WIC office and let them know that you're there to get advice about nutrition, when you're looking for medical advice you take your child to the doctor. They're not qualified to give out that kind of advice and information and in doing so they can cross legal boundaries about what someone who isn't a doctor can and can't say.

Sharon300
by Sharon on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM

They told me my daughter, that as 2 at the time, vvas to tall for her age. I asked them if they thought I should try to shrink her. The lady got quiet after that.

25beengoodtome
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Maybe they feel they are required to file reports regularly, to validate their position, or cover their butt if something comes up in the future

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
chair.r13
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I agree with pp, on your next appointment call her on her "educaion". When she says "blank year of experience" ask if that was before or after med school. Don't worry about it, Momma. If you need WIC for your family, go get it.

lol or tell her that the 2 yo is taking all of 4 yo food from him and you just cant seem to make him stop

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)