Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs)...Need info please

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm just trying to get a general feel for how long it will take me to reach my goal of becoming a CRNA. I'm just getting started, basically I'm working on my AAS in Nursing degree currently. I do already have some nursing course credits from my time in the Air Force as a Medic that I just found out will crossover and go toward my degree. I know that I have to get my BSN first and then get a Master's degree from a nurse anesthesia program which is 24-36 months long.

So my question is: How long did it take you to get your degree and become a CRNA? Do you like/enjoy what you do?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UncondtnlLove
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

bump 

goodmamma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM

It took me about 6 weeks to get thru it thru the local collage :) i do love what i do i work at a nursinf home and i lov the people and patiants it's hard not to get attached to them tho lol

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersbackpack
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickerstoddler girl

Daisypath Anniversary tickersin love

I am a mother of two, I am a Vaccenating, Formula feeding, Disposable Dipering, Spanking wene bad, Chore making, Foward facing car seat at 1, Open minded, Try anything new, Clean house making, Outside playing, Dessert giving, Early school sending, Lunch packing, Beliving women should stay home and take care of the kids and husband, dosn't force religion on anyone and expects the same, Playful, Fun loving Momma.
usmclife58
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:45 PM

You have to have a Bachelor's Degree (4year) and then work at least 2 years in an ICU setting. It usually takes at least 1-2 years before you can get a position in ICU because they want you to get core experience before going into a specialty. After the 2 years in ICU and you are accepted into the program it takes 1 year to complete. And during that year, the student is not allowed to be employed. You can and will be kicked out if you are caught.

Total time- Approx 8 years.

All that is for NC. You can look into the colleges in your area that offer it and see if it varies any. Good luck!

UncondtnlLove
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Quoting goodmamma:

It took me about 6 weeks to get thru it thru the local collage :) i do love what i do i work at a nursinf home and i lov the people and patiants it's hard not to get attached to them tho lol

Wow 6 weeks from what point? Do you mean after you had gotten your BSN, it only took 6 weeks to become a certified nurse anesthetist? I thought it took 24-36 months. That's good info. So how long did it take you from the time you started your education and what age were you when you began, if you don't mind me asking. Oh and do you have a Master's degree as well?

UncondtnlLove
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Quoting usmclife58:

You have to have a Bachelor's Degree (4year) and then work at least 2 years in an ICU setting. It usually takes at least 1-2 years before you can get a position in ICU because they want you to get core experience before going into a specialty. After the 2 years in ICU and you are accepted into the program it takes 1 year to complete. And during that year, the student is not allowed to be employed. You can and will be kicked out if you are caught.

All that is for NC. You can look into the colleges in your area that offer it and see if it varies any. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. 8-10 years is what I expected as well. I'm in AZ, so it may be a little different here, IDK. So during the time that you're in the program, you are not allowed to be employed? That's interesting. So where is your income supposed to come from?

UncondtnlLove
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

bump, again 

logansmama16
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I'm pretty sure she met she's a CNA.

Quoting UncondtnlLove:

Quoting goodmamma:

Wow 6 weeks from what point? Do you mean after you had gotten your BSN, it only took 6 weeks to become a certified nurse anesthetist? I thought it took 24-36 months. That's good info. So how long did it take you from the time you started your education and what age were you when you began, if you don't mind me asking. Oh and do you have a Master's degree as well?

Tea4Tas
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Quoting UncondtnlLove:

Quoting goodmamma:

I think she is a CNA.  THAT takes a few weeks.

SadiasMomma
by Janet B. Benson on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

my mom just fnished up her class for CRNA! she passed, but unfortunatly she failed the boards on dec 9th. poor thing was cryingggggg!! it took her two years i think. it was really really hard, but shes older than most students (47)... shes going to do the test again in like 3 weeks, please pray for her!!!

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Quoting UncondtnlLove:

Quoting usmclife58:

Thanks for the response. 8-10 years is what I expected as well. I'm in AZ, so it may be a little different here, IDK. So during the time that you're in the program, you are not allowed to be employed? That's interesting. So where is your income supposed to come from?

They don't care where your income comes from. But, honestly, the program is so difficult I could not imagine someone working and doing it. It takes A LOT. I was going to do CRNA but now I am leaning more towards the Neo-Natal Nurse Practioner. I still have plenty of time to decide though. I am still working on the BSN :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)