Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help with crayon mess

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

ok so i went christmas shopping with my sister the other day and left my husband and daughter at home when i got back there was crayon on my walls and what do ya know she found the only not washable crayon in the house and used it on the wall now i am having a horrible time getting it off and my magic eraser is taking the paint off does anyone have ideas about how to get it off the wall without ruining my paint? my MIL is coming for dinner this weekend and i really dont want to hear her criticise me about it.  thanks

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma43789
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

i want to know too so here's a bump the little monster i babysit had one during nap time no idea how that happend and now my walls are covered from about 3 ft down

Daisypath Wedding tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

raegansmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

21 Tips For Removing Crayon Marks From Walls

1. Toothpaste (regular paste–not gel). This one’s my first pick always (good old regular Crest), it also helps clean up permanent marker stains pretty easily.
  2. Artgum Eraser – gently rub on marks in a circular motion, can also try a regular pencil eraser. Done carefully, this might be an option for wallpaper stains.
  3. Baking Soda – make a paste with water and use it to gently scrub the mark. You could also just sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and rub.
  4. Baby Oil – apply directly to crayon stains then rub off.
  5. Mayonnaise – Glob some on the stain and scrub a bit in a circular motion, then wipe off.
  6. Shaving Cream – apply to markings, rub in, then wipe off.
  7. WD-40 – spray some on the marks and rub off. Wash walls with hot soapy water once the crayon has been removed.
  8. Turpentine – dab some on a damp cloth and scrub into stain to remove crayon.
  9. Lighter Fluid – apply as you would turpentine
  10. Goo Gone – Same directions as for turpentine
  11. Ammonia – soak a section of cloth in household ammonia and scrub markings. You may also luck out with an ammonia based cleaner like Windex and a hot soapy cloth.
  12. Vinegar – soak a toothbrush in white vinegar and scrub marks off.
  13. Heat – Take a hair dryer to the crayon stain and allow it to heat the wax. Wipe heated crayon wax off with a hot, soapy cloth. You could try a clothes iron as well (no steam), just make sure it’s on a low heat setting so it won’t scorch the paint. Place a few paper towels between the wall and the iron.
  14. Hand Lotion – rub directly into crayon and wipe off.
  15. Powdered Dishwasher Detergent – make a paste with water and gently scrub area. Some detergents contain bleach so be careful on wallpaper.
  16. Powdered Household Cleaners – such as Ajax or Comet. Mix with some water or sprinkle on a damp sponge then scrub gently.
  17. Non-stick Cooking Spray – just spray it on then wipe off the marks. Not the best solution for wallpaper since this could leave a grease stain.
  18. Hairspray – spray generously on walls then scrub off the crayon.
  19. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser – go gently, you don’t want to rub off any paint.
  20. Rubbing Alcohol – Saturate part of a clean cloth then rub stains.
  21. Moist Baby Wipe Towelettes – Rub them directly on the crayon stains and scrub markings off. The homemade baby wipes should work too!
MommyToTwo0408
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM

http://tipnut.com/21-crayon-busters-how-to-remove-crayon-from-walls/

Hopefully one of the tips in the link will work for you.

Lilypie - (XW6N)Lilypie - (8QxE)

Lilypie - (c5cM)preview image

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

The Magic Eraser!! Its a miracle worker on crayons on the walls! Just wear gloves when you use it k! And dont let your kids touch them.

I am a 24 year old SAHM of 2 beautiful kids that are the light of my life and my reason for living! I've found the love of my life and we have made a beautiful home together. I'm starting college and am working toward an RN degree...Life is perfect!

Juliekat23
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Can you buy a small sample size can of paint in the same color as your wall?  Some spot painting to cover it up? 

I honestly don't know, maybe someone else will.  I scrubbed it off my wall one time (only time she wrote on wall) and it took off some of the paint. :(  Its in a place that's not noticeable which is why I haven't worried about it too much.

Good Luck

CafeMom Tickers

myrtlebeach
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM

SOS pads are my friend I only allow washable crayons in my home Crayola to be exact and they still are a pain to get off the wall. I leanred SOS pads wet them scrub and wipe clean whola easy as pie!

02nana07
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

THE BEST STUFF I HAVE FOUND TO REMOVE CRAYON IS AT WALMART IT IS CALLED GOOF OFF.  IT WORKS WONDERS AND NO DAMAGE TO WALLS OR OTHER SURFACES.  NOT EXPENSIVE EITHER

25beengoodtome
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Quoting 02nana07:

THE BEST STUFF I HAVE FOUND TO REMOVE CRAYON IS AT WALMART IT IS CALLED GOOF OFF.  IT WORKS WONDERS AND NO DAMAGE TO WALLS OR OTHER SURFACES.  NOT EXPENSIVE EITHER

Yes, that Goof off stuff is great!

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
m0ml0v3s2
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM

here is what has worked for me in the past first try the mr clean magic eraser the 2 sided one it cost more but works a hundred times better if it works then you just saved yourself alot of work. if it doesnt try heating the crayon w/ a hair dryer and scrubbing it with the magic eraser again , still there try hair spray and wet the spot til its basically running off the wall have a old towel or something it willl be dyed the color of the crayon when it runs down the wall, scrub with scrubbrush, if that doesnt work try nail polish remover it will usually take anything off but head this warning do not get it on the flooring it will screw up wood flooring esp if its the laminate crap (sorry if I dissed your flooring but it is go real wood it last forever) carpet will actually melt from nail polish remover oh and make sure its the real stuff not the non acetone stuff k u may have to paint the spot tho to get all the dye to go away crayons are bad evil things LMAO they do leave a stain if its a dark color on a light wall sometimes. HTH

Raven93
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM

thanks so much gonna go try once more lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)